Top 3 scapegoats

Turkish

8 hours ago, TheCholulaKid said:

Towards the end of his career, I agree. But he got dog's abuse for the first few years. There used to be audible groans around The Dell when his name was read out on the teamsheet.

Yes, that’s how I remember it as well

of course he’s an absolute legend, some his performances were too, one stand out performance as as a make shift centre back taking Ian Wright completely out of the game.  
But he was blamed for everything that went wrong with a Saints loss back in the early days. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

Yes, that’s how I remember it as well

of course he’s an absolute legend, some his performances were too, one stand out performance as as a make shift centre back taking Ian Wright completely out of the game.  
But he was blamed for everything that went wrong with a Saints loss back in the early days. 

Yeah that’s how I remember it too. Remember hearing groans when he name was announced many times. 

1 hour ago, Singapore Saint said:

Stuart Ripley, David Prutton, Nigel Quashie, Nathan Redmond - all liabilities IMHO.

Prutton was a weird one. He was really highly rated when we got him, everyone said it was a bit of a coup. He just never really came to anything. Lots of effort and a very nice chap, he wasn’t crap, he was just there always trying hard but not actually doing much.

12 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Jermaine Wright got a lot of stick.  Right back for us which I suspect wasn't his natural position. 

I used to stick up for him a little bit back in those days, but it was quite apparent as the months went on (the season after the play off push) that it was like watching your unfit dad try and play football with his work mates.

In the play off push he was mainly centre midfield for us, alongside Viafara.

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Prutton was a weird one. He was really highly rated when we got him, everyone said it was a bit of a coup. He just never really came to anything. Lots of effort and a very nice chap, he wasn’t crap, he was just there always trying hard but not actually doing much.

I blame him for our relegation in 2004, I really do, him shoving the ref resulted in a 10-match ban which cost us dearly. Much better commentator than player.

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I used to stick up for him a little bit back in those days, but it was quite apparent as the months went on (the season after the play off push) that it was like watching your unfit dad try and play football with his work mates.

In the play off push he was mainly centre midfield for us, alongside Viafara.

He was a bit static, not a great passer of the ball either.  Don't think I ever saw him in a midfield position, where apparently he could play.