Top 3 scapegoats

Turkish

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Jermaine Wright 

No, he was just crap. Not helped by Burley’s absurd obsession with playing him anywhere at any cost.

I think Hooiveld got more stick than he deserved in the Premier League. He and Fonte both looked very sketchy in our first season back up, the latter only really steadied when Lovren came in. Jos wasn’t PL standard admittedly but a couple of unfortunate own goals gave him an undeserved reputation as being a hopeless liability.

‘Sideways’ Magilton and Glenn(da) Cockerill used to take a fair deal of flak at one time.

Going back Lew Chatterley was a bit of a skapegoat in the 70’s especially after relegation when he’d just joined from Lawrie’s old club.

Hugh Fisher about the same time, although redeemed himself with his part in our cup run.

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

I seem to remember Paul Rideout getting a fair bit of grief despite being a good player 

Rideout used to get stick because ha wasn't as fast as Rod Wallace, or as skilful as MLT. A player with all those attributes would have been worth more than Van Basten 

3 of us moved our season tickets from the West to the East stand because we got fed up with the constant moaning, 

Mane

Pelle

morgan

if we’re talking about scapegoating people 5 mins into their careers, that is.

Quashie seemed the focal point of all the anti Harry sentiment but wasn’t our worst player imho.

George Lawrence going back a while for some reason

Stephens gets abuse for everything he does wrong, and normally gets abuse for everything someone else does wrong too. 

An interesting thread would be ‘players who seem to be immune to criticism’, Hojbjerg and Bednarek definitely seemed to have magic powers to avoid criticism for anything they did/do wrong.

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Mane

Pelle

morgan

if we’re talking about scapegoating people 5 mins into their careers, that is.

Quashie seemed the focal point of all the anti Harry sentiment but wasn’t our worst player imho.

George Lawrence going back a while for some reason

Since when was Snederlein ever a scapegoat? 

what was the reason George Lawrence was? 

5 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

He was pretty headless, but he suffered from breaking into a side with class players all over. Personally I remember him as more of a cult figure than a scapegoat, but it was years ago and a lot of ale has been sank in the intervening years.....

17 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Since when was Snederlein ever a scapegoat? 

I remember Sniderlein getting a bit of grief in his early days when he was still establishing himself and trying to find his best position. I think this was more to do with the fact he cost us £1m when we were absolutely skint rather than anything to do with him, fans were expecting someone to come in and made an immediate impact rather than needing a couple of seasons to develop. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He was pretty headless, but he suffered from breaking into a side with class players all over. Personally I remember him as more of a cult figure than a scapegoat, but it was years ago and a lot of ale has been sank in the intervening years.....

To be honest, I really meant that back in those days, there wa a pretty good reason why he might have been a scapegoat. Hence the name. 

47 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

George Lawrence was one of my favourite players in my early Dell days. Loved the fact that he didn't know what he was going to do next, let alone opposition players.

"Chicken George" or just a headless chicken,discuss. My vote goes to Steve Baker.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

There was absolutely nothing racist about it, if that’s what you’re implying. 

Not implying to you mate at all. Apologies if it came across that way. 
but it was a way of life for some back then. 

Edited by Noodles34

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

George Lawrence was one of my favourite players in my early Dell days. Loved the fact that he didn't know what he was going to do next, let alone opposition players.

I loved Lawrence for the same reason. The only winger I can remember who would run towards the corner flag when past his man raher than towards the goal. If he got his head up more often who could have been really good. 

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

isn’t it amusing that our arguably best players from the last 2 season have been Reed signings. 

Yes, happy to eat my words over some of the garbage he signed that ended up alright.

Perhaps he might be viewed a little more kindly on here had he not banged on about what a mastermind he was, only to disappear from view once results took a turn for the worse.

1 hour ago, adrian lord said:

I used to scapegoat Rory Delap for his much -vaunted, endless long throws which floated harmlessly into the oppos' box and never ever resulted in any goals.

Recall him scoring an amazing over headkick at st Mary’s Can’t remember who against ?