RIP Frank Worthington

Hatch

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

I have always wondered how the best teams of today would fare against the best teams of yesteryear.

The yesteryear team would struggle with the fitness and strength of modern players plus the different style of play now in use.
A bit like the first ever home defeat for the England national team against foreign opposition in 1953 when the Hungarians, with a 'modern' style of play walloped England 6-3 and then repeated the experience later with a 7-1 win in Budapest.

However you put our modern players up against players, say in the 1930's, on a mudheap, a heavy ball and boots and a very lenient Referee who wouldnt penalise a player for over robust play or an 'attack' on the GK (George Kirby style) and that may be a different story.

The difference in fitness, skill level, diet, pitches , rules and even the ball, make it seem like a different game. When I was 18 I played a couple of seasons  with Dave Jones (ex Norwich & famous for the “handball” in a Wales/Scotland World Cup qualifier). He reckoned the first tackle was always a freebie, and that was accepted by everyone, he even claimed that if you didn’t clog the centre forward early doors, you were considered “soft”. He also said the forwards first one was also free, and that they we’re as tough as any centre half.

He always said he preferred playing against Mavericks like Rodney Marsh, because although they’d make you look stupid once or twice a game, it was easier than being constantly battered by the other type of centre forwards around at the time. He reckoned Dalgliesh was the hardest opponent he played  against because he’d do both , make you look stupid and smash you given half a chance. 

• Like 3

There's youtube footage of Frank W on some TV show entertaining the audience with three minutes of 'juggling' to music. One of the comments correctly points out that by today's standards, the tricks he does are extremely repetitive and quite unimpressive.

Obviously this is true, and also beside the point.

On 24/03/2021 at 18:33, Whitey Grandad said:

My only encounter with Frank was when I saw him in the toy shop that used to be in the corner of Fryern Arcade. I seem to remember that he had a blonde girl with him.

God I remember that place was when sold musical instruments (early 70's) before it became a toy shop 

6 hours ago, M271 said:

He seemed to frequent The Otter at Otterbourne in the day, I presume that he lived locally at that time.

Saw him in there once, seemed a decent bloke. Surprisingly no Air Hostess on his arm. Not living up to the standards set by Osgood. 

In an interview once Lawrie said he considered signing Frank earlier, after we were promoted in 1978, and then again when Keegan was with us. Now that would have some team, Ball, KK, Channon and Worthington. Shame that come about.

It was strange how his form picked up as we went on our cup run in 1984. He'd been pretty average, if not poor, before Christmas but was outstanding after. His goal against Coventry in the 8-2 received the greatest response from the fans that day, moreso than Moran or Danny Wallace's hat trick goal.I think that was his last game for us.

Certainly a great entertainer.

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Saw him in there once, seemed a decent bloke. Surprisingly no Air Hostess on his arm. Not living up to the standards set by Osgood. 

I have just remembered that once Bill Maynard the actor (Selwyn Froggit from the 70s series) was with him, of all people.

On 24/03/2021 at 15:48, vince said:

Around 17 seconds in, you can see the ref running back applauding the goal, quality stuff. Very fond memories of that one season with us for me.

Unfortunately these days we’d have to wait five minutes for the check to be complete, two possible offsides, the header back to worthington looks to be from and offside postion and worthingon himself appears to receive the ball coming back from an offside position, it may only be a few mms but rules and rules and that’s how we want it

Edited by Turkish

My only encounter with Frank was when I saw him in the toy shop that used to be in the corner of Fryern Arcade. I seem to remember that he had a blonde girl with him.

This one? She became his 2nd wife and was with him till the end. Ex page 3 girl.

OldFootballPhotos on Twitter: "Carol Dwyer wearing her fathers, #NoelDwyer,  international jersey and cap. Her gloves are new. Carol married  #FrankWorthington.… https://t.co/tFDAoiryT8"

"It was appropriate that she came from Knokke, because you should have seen her Knokke-ers when I got them out back at my villa”

from the autobiography of footballer  Frank Worthington, who died this week.

RIP Frank

• Like 2