RIP Frank Worthington

Hatch

I can still see him now, ambling about with his socks around his ankles, flicking passes left and right for others to chase and then whacking in a shot from some crazy angle or distance.

By the time he came to us he looked like he was about 60 so no one asked him to track back, but boy did he create chances for others.

He was there for the 8-2 against Coventry - a proper entertainer from another era.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

I can still see him now, ambling about with his socks around his ankles, flicking passes left and right for others to chase and then whacking in a shot from some crazy angle or distance.

By the time he came to us he looked like he was about 60 so no one asked him to track back, but boy did he create chances for others.

He was there for the 8-2 against Coventry - a proper entertainer from another era.

Yep was at that game and my 1st Danny Wallace and Steve Moran hatricks .. Air Florida tucked out saints shirt .. socks round his ankles but wota passer of the ball .. I was only 10 .and wen I got home played over the park with my friends I was frankie worthington ! Rip thanks 🙏🏻 for the memories Frank 👍🏻🥅

Edited by Chris cooper
  • Like 1

Funnily enough my first memory of him was coming to collect the ball for a corner whilst he was playing for Bolton (A young Sam Allardyce also playing). First home game after promotion in 1978, Ivan Golacs debut.

I’m right at the front of the Milton Road end up he trots to pick up the ball, my first thought wasn’t Wow Frank Worthington! But jeez what a stink, it was like he bathed in liniment for hours every night rather that a quick rub over before the game (latterly -how he pulled the birds he did with that industrial scent - as it certainly wasn’t Brut).

One of Footballs great characters from the days of proper footballers.

RIP Frank

• Like 2

Probably should post the Danny Wallace overhead.... Great, round the corner ball from FW. Mark Wright's run up from the back too having started the move... another player we sold to flippin' Liverpool :(

Edited by jasonb
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, charlie saint said:

Wasn't he sacked after being caught with two women in his hotel room by Lawrie McMenemy? He claimed they were having afternoon tea... which was why he titled his autobiography 'One Hump or Two?'

think he turned up late for a game for the same reason. dim and distant past, and might not be recollecting correctly but I remember being at a game and seeing his name on the programme but he hadn't showed. Until the second half...

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

You could also be describing another mercurial Saints talisman with that description, although MLT used to keep his socks pulled up!

Bit of a sojourn on the south coast for Frank but only good memories of his time at the Dell - a very typical McMenemy signing, a pure entertainer. One of my best memories was being on the terrace at Highbury in the prelude to the cup semi final 1984. Saints players clean cut ambling around in their Burton suits when FW appears looking like Las Vegas Elvis after an all night shagging session. Other posters have mentioned his passing, and that’s where he was sublime when at Saints - old school class and character. RIP Elvis! 

2 hours ago, jasonb said:

Probably should post the Danny Wallace overhead.... Great, round the corner ball from FW. Mark Wright's run up from the back too having started the move... another player we sold to flippin' Liverpool :(

We sold Mark Wright to Derby

1 hour ago, charlie saint said:

'Birdwatching'... different times. 

Who are the 'certain dishonorable board of directors?' 

Liverpool I believe.

around at the era I first started watching, great player and character. 
RIP 

Really saddened by this news, he was with us for such a short time, but he leaves some but great memories.  IIRC when he scored in the 8-2 drubbing of Coventry, he got a bigger cheer than either of the two hattricks. 

Frank was late for training one day, and the club sent a taxi to collect him. My mate's dad was the cabbie, he knocked the door at Frank's digs, several times,  as it took FW a while to answer, when he eventually got to the door he was wearing a silk dressing gown with a dragon print on it and very little else. When told he was late, his response was something like "bollocks, not again", he picked up his kit bag and left for training,  still wearing just the classic 70s dressing gown. 

RiP Frank,  and thanks for the memories.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sad news, such a great entertainer and player. My mates a Huddersfield supporter and Frank is his absolute hero, he’ll be in bits tonight. 

Guys like Frank, Rodney Marsh, Tony Currie, Stan Bowles and of course Bestie, made the 70’s such a great period to watch the game. To watch them take the piss whilst suffering tackles that bordered on GBH,was a sight to behold. Then off down the discotheque to pull a few birds. Great days...

• Like 2

A significant part of our best ever team, only saw him play a few times (for us), but he was majestic, his play reminded me of Ossie when he was with us, much standing around and spraying glorious passes to others. A true character. I don't get this "working man's George Best", don't know where that has come from, George Best was surely the working man's George Best.

RIP Elvis.

Edited by VectisSaint

What sad news - well remember the flashiness of Worthington and what an entertainer.  That season with Saints was marvelous - it's a crying shame that so many players from that era (and more recently) have suffered from dementia.

Worthington
Dave Watson
Kevin Moore
Chris Nicholl

The list goes on.....

10 hours ago, charlie saint said:

Wasn't he sacked after being caught with two women in his hotel room by Lawrie McMenemy? He claimed they were having afternoon tea... which was why he titled his autobiography 'One Hump or Two?'

He invited my girlfriend to his hotel room when out at the Concorde Club one night. She declined!!
Give him credit for trying.

I went to an after dinner gig about 20 years ago in Birkenhead and Frank was the main speaker. I sat there waiting specifically for Frank to wax lyrical about his short time at Saints. Anyway, waffle waffle waffle until he got to the Southampton bit. I'm paraphrasing here but basically he said 'then I went to Southampton and Lawrie Mac. It was like signing for Saddam Hussein'. That was it and then he swiftly moved on. I was gutted. That said, his pass in the build up to the Danny Wallace overhead kick was sublime and he is still a reminder of when football had a certain freedom of spirit. RIP Frank.

Edited by CheshireSaint

First season where I became aware of Saints and started following. Great team and he was a core part of it. The club was so entertaining to follow and 83/84 was probably the best season. An era when it was a game and not a pure business. Unfortunately, whereas every club in D1 and a fair few in D2 had a Worthington/Osgood/Currie/MLT/Bowles/Hudson type player that’s not been the case for a long time. 

Only real entertainers today are at City/Utd and maybe 2 or 3 other clubs, with likes of Rodriguez going to Everton for a season. Tadic and Lallana are the nearest we have had recently, Rickie was very technical and skilled for a target man. Spurs have one in Alli and Maureen won’t even play him. 

A fond memory of Frank was him scoring against Coventry, with one of the tamest headers I've ever seen. We were behind the goal, he didn't really bother to jump, the ball just bounced off his head in slow motion and looped in.

It was the first game I'd taken a couple of new chums to after starting my nurse training in Chichester, we won 8-2, followed by a 5-0 win over spurs.
They thought it was like watching Brazil.

RIP Frank.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saint1977 said:

First season where I became aware of Saints and started following. Great team and he was a core part of it. The club was so entertaining to follow and 83/84 was probably the best season. An era when it was a game and not a pure business. Unfortunately, whereas every club in D1 and a fair few in D2 had a Worthington/Osgood/Currie/MLT/Bowles/Hudson type player that’s not been the case for a long time. 

Only real entertainers today are at City/Utd and maybe 2 or 3 other clubs, with likes of Rodriguez going to Everton for a season. Tadic and Lallana are the nearest we have had recently, Rickie was very technical and skilled for a target man. Spurs have one in Alli and Maureen won’t even play him. 

Personally, I think the modern players are far far more skilful than in the past. Centre halves now bring the ball down and play, whereas it was only a handful previously. Look at OR and contrast him with tough tackling midfielders in the past. He receives the ball in tight spaces, plays little passes and keeps possession. Up front they’re pretty much all skilful, full of tricks, flicks etc. That famous Worthington goal could of been scored by a dozen forward players nowadays. The great players you mentioned had fantastic skills, but most modern players possess them nowadays, and in a game played a lot quicker. 

However, there were massive differences back then, which is why these types were so loved. One was they did it despite the culture. A culture that discouraged fancy Dan’s and managers that were anti fancy tricks (except for a few notable exceptions). They also did it with heavy footballs, defenders committing GBH on them, and on mud heap pitches. They also lived a lads life off the pitch, they were glamorous Jack the lads, rock stars when rock stars acted like rock stars, not woke warriors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Personally, I think the modern players are far far more skilful than in the past. Centre halves now bring the ball down and play, whereas it was only a handful previously. Look at OR and contrast him with tough tackling midfielders in the past. He receives the ball in tight spaces, plays little passes and keeps possession. Up front they’re pretty much all skilful, full of tricks, flicks etc. That famous Worthington goal could of been scored by a dozen forward players nowadays. The great players you mentioned had fantastic skills, but most modern players possess them nowadays, and in a game played a lot quicker. 

However, there were massive differences back then, which is why these types were so loved. One was they did it despite the culture. A culture that discouraged fancy Dan’s and managers that were anti fancy tricks (except for a few notable exceptions). They also did it with heavy footballs, defenders committing GBH on them, and on mud heap pitches. They also lived a lads life off the pitch, they were glamorous Jack the lads, rock stars when rock stars acted like rock stars, not woke warriors. 

I agree with much of this, and I put it down in some ways to the introduction of more overseas players in the 1990s onwards enhancing techniques and style of play. Taking your example of OR, his football education was at Barca where the emphasis on control in tight spaces would have been encouraged alongside the defensive work. Most DMCs from that era would have got an early yellow like Rom but then a red with the lack of control.

The very best centre halves of that era eg Hansen could play and Mark Wright was more cultured than most, but the majority were the ‘get it clear including the striker’ brigade. Pitches have improved greatly which helps playing out from the back. Pace of the game has increased several fold, watching the Big Match and MOTD back from the 70s and 80s some of the games remind me of our last League One stint in terms of tempo. Probably less scope as a result to take risks as the very best sides domestically eg City take you to the cleaners on the break so ruthlessly if you lose it in the wrong areas.

James Maddison is another good example of a current day player with exceptional ability, as is Grealish but Jack is one of the very few outside of clubs regularly playing in Europe. I guess I’m just disappointed with SFC as we have traditionally either produced them or bought them, but the PL sides in the bottom half are generally horribly workmanlike to watch with the odd exception. 

I have always wondered how the best teams of today would fare against the best teams of yesteryear.

The yesteryear team would struggle with the fitness and strength of modern players plus the different style of play now in use.
A bit like the first ever home defeat for the England national team against foreign opposition in 1953 when the Hungarians, with a 'modern' style of play walloped England 6-3 and then repeated the experience later with a 7-1 win in Budapest.

However you put our modern players up against players, say in the 1930's, on a mudheap, a heavy ball and boots and a very lenient Referee who wouldnt penalise a player for over robust play or an 'attack' on the GK (George Kirby style) and that may be a different story.