Safe Standing Trial

Master Bates

Everyone behind the Northam goal and in the wings at that end stands anyway (apart from the odd away following, depends who is visiting) - as someone who "sits" at that end of the ground, it doesn't make much difference to me, apart from creating a bit more room to stand in front of the seat.

What I really want is a lifting of the blanket ban on drinking alcohol in view of the pitch. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I would at least like the option of a pint while watching the game. The ban seems totally disproportionate in my view, and doesn't reflect my time supporting Saints and attending matches in the last 15 or so years. I wasn't around to see the hooligan 80s, all of that is ancient history as far as I'm concerned, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen violence at St Mary's. Just let me have a beer FFS.

• Like 4

On 22/09/2021 at 14:23, Saint_Jonny said:

Everyone behind the Northam goal and in the wings at that end stands anyway (apart from the odd away following, depends who is visiting) - as someone who "sits" at that end of the ground, it doesn't make much difference to me, apart from creating a bit more room to stand in front of the seat.

What I really want is a lifting of the blanket ban on drinking alcohol in view of the pitch. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I would at least like the option of a pint while watching the game. The ban seems totally disproportionate in my view, and doesn't reflect my time supporting Saints and attending matches in the last 15 or so years. I wasn't around to see the hooligan 80s, all of that is ancient history as far as I'm concerned, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen violence at St Mary's. Just let me have a beer FFS.

Consider me surprised to see this even being considered! Wouldn't it be great to be treated like adults:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12416189/drinking-in-seats-at-football-grounds-could-be-reinstated-as-part-of-a-fan-led-review-into-the-game

It looks pretty shit to be honest. Not much difference between standing in a seat. Also not too sure about beer being back in the grounds. Will have too many helmets who can’t handle their beer getting lagging or throwing it around around everywhere. Especially with our great fans who will no doubt find it hilarious to finish the game covered in beer calling it banter rather than behaving like a complete crumpet 

Edited by Turkish

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It looks pretty shit to be honest. Not much difference between standing in a seat. Also not too sure about beer being back in the grounds. Will have too many helmets who can’t handle their beer getting lagging or throwing it around around everywhere. Especially with our great fans who will no doubt find it hilarious to finish the game covered in beer calling it banter rather than behaving like a complete crumpet 

This, there is enough fake celebrating and throwing beer around in helmet venues like box park without the dins in the ground doing it as well. I've sat at Twickenham drinking a whisky in one hand and a pint in the other, it works there, I just can't see it working in a football ground. I'll stick with queuing for 5 hours to buy 3 bottles of crap lager and then throwing two of them away 10 mins into the second half ... 

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

I agree there will always be those that take things too far or can't handle their drink. That much is obvious. For the rest of us, just having the option to have a beer while enjoying the game would be great. 

There will be a lot of worry and drama about allowing people to drink in the two 45 minute windows in which a football match is played. I honestly can't see it making much of a difference. If people want to get hammered today, they will do it before and after the game, or down a drink at half time. 

On 22/09/2021 at 14:23, Saint_Jonny said:

Pathetic

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Got to agree with you on this, there will be the box park banter throwing pints everywhere or the day at the cricket style who will sit and sip pints all game, both have a negative impact on the atmosphere I think.  I'd certainly be less likely to make much noise if I'm sipping a beer or nipping down to the bar for another, rather keep the boozing for before and after. 

As regards to safe standing, we pretty much have it already, whole away end stands and Northam / Itchen North do, if stewards leave everyone alone it works well. 

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

As regards to safe standing, we pretty much have it already, whole away end stands and Northam / Itchen North do, if stewards leave everyone alone it works well. 

A problem that may come about for those that prefer to stand in stadiums that don’t have rail-seating could be that the authorities clamp down on standing in normal seated areas. I can see us being left behind due to “lack of funds”.

And agree, 15 year olds will be chucking beer around ‘like on the tele’ if they relax that rule.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Got to agree with you on this, there will be the box park banter throwing pints everywhere or the day at the cricket style who will sit and sip pints all game, both have a negative impact on the atmosphere I think.  I'd certainly be less likely to make much noise if I'm sipping a beer or nipping down to the bar for another, rather keep the boozing for before and after. 

The safe standing rails at Eastlands were great last week. Don’t  want to see it throughout the ground as there are people who want to sit.

Some old dears missed half the game as they had to sit behind standers

• 1 month later...