What did Yan Valery say ...?

david in sweden

A recent quote from Yan Valery .." seriously he's the best " ...may have raised a few eyebrows when his comment was referring  to.. Shane Long.

(a similar comment from other young players was quoted after Walcott's loan contract was made permanent last summer).

Long (and Walcott for that matter) are obviously well past their best buy dates and judging by the groans and complaints whenever either name appears

on the team sheet,  it's clear that their presence on the training ground is proving invaluable to the younger talents in the club, if not appreciated by some fans.

Both Long and Walcott have a huge amount of top level experience that amounts to more than 1100 games between them,  and over also

130 international apps. (Long 88 caps / Walcott 47).  Whilst both are still amongst the highest paid at the club and their future  Prem. careers

are slowly ebbing away every month, their playing experience would seem to be priceless. 

No matter how good the coaches we have at Staplewood, there are few who can share even a small proportion of that type of career experience.

Maybe they are worth the investment - if they can bring forth such a positive reaction from our younger players? 

• Like 1

We’ve been crap for almost the entirety of 2021, none of our youngsters have made any impression on the first team. The likes of Obafemi and Jankewitz were dogged by rumours of poor motivation and an unprofessional attitude. We’ve been mentally weak, constantly shipping goals in injury time, throwing away leads and having lapses in concentration.

If Long and Walcott are here to instal morale and a professional attitude in their teammates then I want my money back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We’ve been crap for almost the entirety of 2021, none of our youngsters have made any impression on the first team. The likes of Obafemi and Jankewitz were dogged by rumours of poor motivation and an unprofessional attitude. We’ve been mentally weak, constantly shipping goals in injury time, throwing away leads and having lapses in concentration.

If Long and Walcott are here to instal morale and a professional attitude in their teammates then I want my money back.

Take your money and go down the road, they need fans like you

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Take your money and go down the road, they need fans like you

I'm not sure what you mean by that but the experience of Long and Walcott does not appear to be adding anything of value to the squad. If they are then I dread to think what we'd be like without them. 

I think you're being unduly cynical. Whilst I was surprised that Long started the last game he pleasantly surprised me with his fitness, his contribution and keeping their defensive honest and making them work. Perhaps Valery, who also impressed me, was referring to his professionalism in training even when he hasn't been starting? If so perhaps it has rubbed off on Valery judging by his contribution?

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that but the experience of Long and Walcott does not appear to be adding anything of value to the squad. If they are then I dread to think what we'd be like without them. 

Tella talked about the influence that Walcott has had on his development. You may recall the moment he scored and ran to celebrate with Walcott who was a sub at the time. If the young players are saying the old pros are beneficial to them, who are we to tell them otherwise? 

• Like 14

22 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Tella talked about the influence that Walcott has had on his development. You may recall the moment he scored and ran to celebrate with Walcott who was a sub at the time. If the young players are saying the old pros are beneficial to them, who are we to tell them otherwise? 

You do understand that posters on here know far more than those involved in the game right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 02/01/2022 at 14:53, Lighthouse said:

and with their combined salaries, could we perhaps be paying someone who could directly influence the team by, I dunno, scoring some goals or saving some shots?

• Confused 1

On 02/01/2022 at 13:46, david in sweden said:

A recent quote from Yan Valery .." seriously he's the best " ...may have raised a few eyebrows when his comment was referring  to.. Shane Long.

(a similar comment from other young players was quoted after Walcott's loan contract was made permanent last summer).

Long (and Walcott for that matter) are obviously well past their best buy dates and judging by the groans and complaints whenever either name appears

on the team sheet,  it's clear that their presence on the training ground is proving invaluable to the younger talents in the club, if not appreciated by some fans.

Both Long and Walcott have a huge amount of top level experience that amounts to more than 1100 games between them,  and over also

130 international apps. (Long 88 caps / Walcott 47).  Whilst both are still amongst the highest paid at the club and their future  Prem. careers

are slowly ebbing away every month, their playing experience would seem to be priceless. 

No matter how good the coaches we have at Staplewood, there are few who can share even a small proportion of that type of career experience.

Maybe they are worth the investment - if they can bring forth such a positive reaction from our younger players? 

Valery has had personal issues, maybe Shane has helped and mentored him on a personal level?

• Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 14:51, Lighthouse said:

People with the most experience are best placed to offer advice to others who are on the way up.    

(Even if Long and Walcott only play minority roles in any future games, their combined experience may well help others to improve their own game). 

Of course  there are people who think they are so smart they don't need help, or advice from " older heads".

YES - As you mentioned,  Jankewitz was demanding first team football and he got his  2 minutes of notoriety and condemned us to defeat with only 10 men.

Now he is lucky to get off the bench in a club playing in a third rate league in Europe.    Whose fault is that ?  Not Shane Long's.

Obafemi on the other hand should have done better.  He finally got a move to a lower division where (to be honest ) he ought to have shown up much more

than he has, but instead can hardly get a start in the Swansea side.  He's not a kid anymore but does need to grow up and learn " the man's game" 

Ralph has clearly shown his best / favourite line-up, and so the likes of Tella, Valery and Smallbone haven't had a lot of game time, but have not let the side down.

Those players who have gone into print showing appreciation for the help they've had are perhaps a few of many, and in time will surely get their chances.

Advice is free for those willing to listen and learn, but  (as " Lord Ilsley " might confirm ) ... ...You can lead a horse to water, but  ...  .... ....  .. .....        

• Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 13:51, Lighthouse said:

none of our youngsters have made any impression on the first team

Livramento and Broja are still teenagers and arguably our best players right now !

Tella, Salisu and Diallo are early 20s so I don’t think your argument holds up at all……

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Livramento and Broja are still teenagers and arguably our best players right now !

Tella, Salisu and Diallo are early 20s so I don’t think your argument holds up at all……

They’re not our youngsters and were both clearly quality when they arrived from Chelsea.

I just don’t see any evidence of Long or Walcott offering anything special off the pitch. I don’t know in what way we’d be worse as a squad if they weren’t here. I’m sure they are model professionals, who try their best and the young players say nice things about them but I don’t see that translating into anything on the pitch.

• Like 1