Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just finished my match report write up. I apologies in advance, its a lengthy one.

Mistake, mistake mistake, Watford Goal.

Mistake, mistake, Watford goal.

...................then the stream went down. 

What a shit game that was. I've never seen such a lack of urgency, energy, competence, as that first half. 

My only hope is, Watford use that three points to stitch up the Dug-outs. That is the only thing I can take from yesterday.

• Like 1

That was bad, I am not really sure what to say, that first goal was a comedy of errors as each of them messed up getting it out or completing a successful pass giving the Watford player loads of time to close them down. It was almost looking like someone paid them off to let them score. The attack was not set up correctly to deal with the opposition in front of them. And I don't know what is up with our central midfield, has someone come and given Romeu a knock on the legs or the head in the parking lot after training or something? Or has playing constantly finally burnt out JWP? Perrud not at fault for the second he had to pick which of the two to cover because everyone else had abandoned him, picked the more central player, probably right decision, and could not back up quickly enough when he could see it going to the further player. Plus Moi hung him out to dry with not passing to him when he went outside, you could see his frustration.

Is this part of a Ralph super plan to lower the transfer fee for Broja and prevent people poaching Salisu? Or is he trying to make sure Man U doesn't call because he is not very good at saying no and would really like to retire in a couple years.

Edited by Mystic Force
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Just finished my match report write up. I apologies in advance, its a lengthy one.

Mistake, mistake mistake, Watford Goal.

Mistake, mistake, Watford goal.

...................then the stream went down. 

What a shit game that was. I've never seen such a lack of urgency, energy, competence, as that first half. 

My only hope is, Watford use that three points to stitch up the Dug-outs. That is the only thing I can take from yesterday.

On the plus side... your stream went down. It wasn't a great watch for the rest of the game. 😊

On 14/03/2022 at 00:12, Yozzman said:

Why are you calling out Bednarek when Salisu was far worse today?

To be fair I only watched the 2nd half. Salisu dealt with most stuff coming his way in that half and Bedderz didn't deal with the long ball well.

On 14/03/2022 at 08:07, obelisk said:

In three so-called winnable games against teams below Saints we've scored just twice. One a deflected half arsed attempt and the other a mishit wobble that crept in at the far post. I've prattled on seemingly for ever about our poor chance to goal ratio but now we're not creating very much at all either. Sure we're making mistakes at the the back but going forward Saints look clueless.

The case for a recognised no.9 striker gets proved again and again. It's his job, his responsibility. But what gets overlooked is the total lack focus from midfield to penalty box. without that striker, there is hesitation as to where to get the ball to ... any which one who might possibly have a go.

When you got your striker you see the need for the old fashioned wingers. 

Really disappointing result this one for us. If we had won we would have moved back up to ninth. Small margins. Both goals conceded were totally avoidable. Moi with a very cool finish and KWP best player on the pitch yet again . We move onto Sunday in the Cup - COYR :)

Massively disappointing and frustrating results in both the Newcastle and Watford games.  I thought in both cases we tried to play our normal home style, but with the opposition in both games sitting deep and counter attacking it was always going to be up to us to make the running and find the openings.  The Everton and Norwich games were very similar, except neither of them had the quality or level of performance to pull off the deep defence / counter attack plan. 

Too many Saints players had off days in both matches which resulted in errors leading to goals and in presentable chances not being put away.  There's little point in singling players out for bad performances as we know that they are capable of better and we have to remember that most of our squad is young and so is going to be inconsistent.  Unfortunately for us we need pretty much our whole team to be operating at 7 out of 10 to be effective.

At least City won't sit back and defend deep which should suit us better.

Hopefully that's a balanced assessment.  It's probably not what I would have written in immediately after each match.