Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

It's been a bad week for Watford as well with two defeats, I thought they'd picked up a bit after drawing at Old Trafford and winning at Villa. 

Who knows  how we'll line up or react to last nights defeat, would be nice to stop this turning into a bad run. 

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's been a bad week for Watford as well with two defeats, I thought they'd picked up a bit after drawing at Old Trafford and winning at Villa. 

Who knows  how we'll line up or react to last nights defeat, would be nice to stop this turning into a bad run. 

We should win, but we know what they’ll do.  Sit back and counter.  

They looked REALLY good in that villa win. Really quick on the counter.

We will likely play the same, Watford will probably try to defend the exact same way as Villa/Newcastle.  They are not as good, but are very quick on the attack.

Given teams have us sussed, I would not be surprised if we do not win.

Thankfully, Watford have been terrible, so.......

It will be very disappointing if Perraud is once again left out.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

I think we have to consider benching Broja for Armstrong, Broja just hasn't been up to much for the last few games. Infact in our last 10 games or so his best performance was off the bench vs West Ham. Maybe we should start Adam Armstrong and deploy Broja off the bench.

We have had a tonne of possession vs Villa and Newcastle and we looked blunt. Something has to change. I'd bring in Perraud for Tino and put KWP on the right too. I think that'll help Elyounoussi perform at a higher level again.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 4

Put the WHU FA Cup team out, except Adams for Long, Forster for Caballero and with KWP/Perraud as the fullbacks.

Redmond hasn't had some minutes for a while either, I wonder where he has been.

Salisu looked rushed back yesterday, don't want him to pick something up before our more important game next week. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We will likely play the same, Watford will probably try to defend the exact same way as Villa/Newcastle.  They are not as good, but are very quick on the attack.

Given teams have us sussed, I would not be surprised if we do not win.

Thankfully, Watford have been terrible, so.......

It will be very disappointing if Perraud is once again left out.

I felt Peraud was scapegoated at Villa, I was at the game and it was clear he was being left completely isolated in 2 v 1 situations, Elyounoussi was awol, there may have been good reason for that, but that’s what needed fixing,  not Peraud.

1 hour ago, Alan Sugarfree said:

If we lose this it’ll very much have the feeling of players already on the beach for this season.

Maybe a bit of that, but I think teams have worked us out, even Norwich did to a degree, but didn’t have the weapons to exploit it. Other factors  could be Broja’s head  now seems to be elsewhere, Tino has probably been over used, particularly since his injury and we have no real pace to break the lines.

Also, People always seem to gun for our CB’s when things go wrong, but I feel the defending problems are often a result of our midfield not functioning. 

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

We should win, but we know what they’ll do.  Sit back and counter.  

They looked REALLY good in that villa win. Really quick on the counter.

An old work colleague of mine is a long time Watford season ticket holder, usually quite optimistic fan but says he's starting to give up hope, just too many players who don't look committed. 

Things were looking up particularly away from home, they kept clean sheets last month at Burnley, Villa and Man Utd and only conceded one at West Ham so looked like they'd worked out how to defend. Could be a 0-0 then. 

The important thing is not to go 1-0 down to a Hodgson team - for no other reason that this place will be unbearable afterwards if the game has followed that kind of pattern 😅

Edited by Saint86

4 hours ago, JRM said:

One of those games where Watford may end up getting a point if not a win.

I wish we had better option for the CB position than Bednarek/Stephens/Valery right now. Our CB stable next season should be :

Salisu, £25m signing, Lyanco, Bednarek

i feel like the difference between 14th place and 8th place on this team is a strong partner with Salisu.

• Like 3

Having been at the game last night and seeing how we are unable to adapt to another style of play in order to break down the more defensive teams, I’ll take a point already.

Watford will be harder to beat. Roy Hodgeson is decent and will have them better drilled than their previous seventeen managers in the last couple of months…

1-1. Adams to score.

Hoping Perraud and KWP are the full backs. Broja was very ineffective yesterday, start Adam Armstrong.

If we play as we can then we will beat Watford, if we drop off our level then we won't. I think that's one thing I've learnt about this team over the last few years, there is simply no middle ground. We have to be on it to get results, and when we are on it we are so good. But if we drop off then we are incapable of grinding anything out which is why we keep falling from great runs into horrible runs.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Just the type of team we lose against. They’re a team that likes to sit back and break quickly - we’re the mugs that like to get caught with our pants down in a high press in our final third, while fannying around recycling the ball as the front line stands static waiting for an incisive pass that never comes.

Jeez, I’m so cynical nowadays!

To win this game we need Perraud behind Moi and KWP on the right. We need Broja to link well with Stuey. We need JWP to pass forwards at least 30% of the time. We need to transition the ball from Forster to the front line much quicker. We need Valery (yeah I know) next to Salisu (he’s quicker in mind and body than Bednarek or Stephens). We need an early goal.

We can win this, but I’m never confident even playing the worst teams in the league. I’m going 2-2.

18 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Two recent defeats taken into account, anything other than an easy win would be a major disappointment.

They are shit, and we should beat them pretty comfortably.

They are awful at in defence, and hear they have a few absentees

The cynic in me sees a canny old manager sat in the opposite dugout in what is now silly season.

Ultimately, Roy has had a magnificent career, but I think Watford cannot be saved this season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They are awful at in defence, and hear they have a few absentees

The cynic in me sees a canny old manager sat in the opposite dugout in what is now silly season.

Ultimately, Roy has had a magnificent career, but I think Watford cannot be saved this season. 

Their defence must have the odd good game to keep clean sheets at Man Utd and Villa last month though, agree we should win but not feeling confident. 

I’m a little bit concerned we might now going into our shit streak after a good run of games of playing well. The March run of games was meant to be a few fairly easy points after a tough run. Chance to get back on track tomorrow before the city game. Unfortunately for us we need every player to be at it to do well, we can’t afford one or two to be below par as it screws the entire system. We know how Watford will play and they are pretty shite so we should win but then we looked at Newcastle (or Sandcastle as they are now hilarious named) line up and said that as well

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m a little bit concerned we might now going into our shit streak after a good run of games of playing well. The March run of games was meant to be a few fairly easy points after a tough run. Chance to get back on track tomorrow before the city game. Unfortunately for us we need every player to be at it to do well, we can’t afford one or two to be below par as it screws the entire system. We know how Watford will play and they are pretty shite so we should win but then we looked at Newcastle (or Sandcastle as they are now hilarious named) line up and said that as well

Yes, that little bit of confidence, swagger and luck has been missing v Villa and Newcastle - the pattern of getting stuck in a slump is also a worry.    I can see the case for restoring Perraud and switching KWP...will Ralph?     There's a case for giving A. Armstrong  extended game time, certainly ahead of Shane Long.....maybe starting ahead of either Broja or Che.     Maybe bench Elyounoussi in favour of Redmond or even Djenepo, even if Moi has paired well with Perraud previously.    Also important for JWP to lift on his two recent subdued, conservative performances.

I'd drop Tino, move KWP where he belongs on the right, and have Perraud and Moi play for at least the first half, since they have paired up very well in previous matches. If Moi isn't doing much by half time bring on Redmond (although he plays much better on the right). Any player with the slightest twinge or knock immediately gets hauled off. The last thing we want are injuries ahead of City.

I think Roy will set Watford up in a way which we historically struggle against. Deep back 4 with a bit of pace on the counter attack. We could do with an early goal just to open the game up a little. 

Fancy the win or a 0-0 draw. 

There are tickets still available.

Now that I’ve calmed down, my opinion hasn’t changed. 1-1 I reckon today.

Like Newcastle they’ll frustrate us and not do much with the ball or create many opportunities.

Fully expecting a smash and grab goal from them. I’m confident we won’t lose but I don’t see us creating much either.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I think Roy will set Watford up in a way which we historically struggle against. Deep back 4 with a bit of pace on the counter attack. We could do with an early goal just to open the game up a little. 

Fancy the win or a 0-0 draw. 

Agree. I think Roy will bypass the midfield battle knowing we'd win it comfortably. Instead of engaging there he'll play a low block with long balls slung down the middle and into the channels - everything we struggle against. They have some pace so it could be a tough afternoon in front of a nervous crowd off the back of two defeats.

We certainly need to mix the team up a bit. A few players are looking physically/mentally jaded. Bring in a couple who have a point to prove (Adam Armstrong being a good example) and it will hopefully pep the whole team up. No point in having much better strength in depth if we don't use it to our advantage.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic