Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just now, stevy777_x said:

If he doesn t fuck about before that like he always does as a headless chicken with his feet that Salisu backpass doesn  t happen

True, but Salisu had time and space to do anything other with it than just give it to Watford. It's his error.

Just now, obelisk said:

Why can't we just get rid of the damn thing?

If Salisu doesn’t do that terribly underhit pass then Forster would have got rid of it for us.

Before that goal, I wanted to say this looks like 2 mid-table teams going through the motions, Watford didn’t show any urgency to suggest they’re down there but now they’ve got a goal they have a spring in their step. 

I don’t think we will score in this half unless it’s a lucky ricochet or a goalmouth scramble

1 minute ago, trousers said:

There was no need to "just get rid of it", we're usually adept at passing it around the back and Salisu wasn't under any pressure. Just a brain fart.

Turns out there was a need to get rid of it though.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I thought we would have changed it up today.  We have not, we have been very blunt, and made that even more evident by playing smallbone up top. 

Just weird

So frustrating after a decent run that we always revert to the same old saints, we should be better than this at least against Watford 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

We forget how to lose and then forget how to win. 

Makes winning a cup impossible. We inevitably have a bad streak that coincides with a cup match.

To be honest, I think we just get found out.

It takes a few games, but teams find a way to play against and exploit us.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Not sure if i should be happy at the lack of a working stream.

The way Saints are intent on throwing away the season probably means its better i don't watch such garbage.

This, sparing us from watching the disappointment unfold.

Just now, Dman said:

To be honest, I think we just get found out.

It takes a few games, but teams find a way to play against and exploit us.

We lost once between mid December and early March, so it took teams somewhat more than "a few games" to "find us out" I would venture...

Yep, Watford are doing what Villa/Newcastle did.

Defend deep, narrow and in numbers, and look to hit us long on the break (as we have so much space behind our fullbacks). 

We have to be better when teams figure us out - probably why we are Ralph's level

• Like 1

Just now, trousers said:

We lost once between mid December and early March, so it took teams somewhat more than "a few games" to "find us out" I would venture...

Fair point if you want to nit pick terminology.

It was the same after covid as well. Let’s hope we find a different way to play sooner than 30 odd games as the last run. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yep, Watford are doing what Villa/Newcastle did.

Defend deep, narrow and in numbers, and look to hit us long on the break (as we have so much space behind our fullbacks). 

We have to be better when teams figure us out - probably why we are Ralph's level

Spot on.

19 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I'm getting an 'unavailable for legal reasons' error in Saintsplayer.

17 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Yes, normally very reliable.

Error was all mine!

My subscription had expired. Within 5 minutes of me raising things via their online chat it was all sorted, and I have a perfect match stream.

Great service.

It is good to hear that Ralph looks and sounds pissed off from the touchline. 

I don’t think I can blame our last 215 minutes of football entirely on Ralph here, some of these players are limited and mid-table, just need to expect errors sadly.

Edited by nta786

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Anyone would think we were a mid-table team who have periods of good form and periods of bad form. 

To be fair, if it ends in the same result I guess it doesn’t matter, but we do tend to have incredible highs and incredible lows. 

It’s not the tactics that’s the issue it’s the mentality of the players. Same setup same squad but gone from individuals playing passes like Brazil to playing passes like a pub team. The issue is our players confidence and the inability to overcome doubts and fears once something goes wrong. It’s 100% psychological but it’s frustrating as hell because it hasn’t been addressed over the past 12 months. Once we slump no one gets them out of it quick enough and it takes a large break to do so.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic