Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

On 12/03/2022 at 08:51, Saint Fan CaM said:

Just the type of team we lose against. They’re a team that likes to sit back and break quickly - we’re the mugs that like to get caught with our pants down in a high press in our final third, while fannying around recycling the ball as the front line stands static waiting for an incisive pass that never comes.

Jeez, I’m so cynical nowadays!

To win this game we need Perraud behind Moi and KWP on the right. We need Broja to link well with Stuey. We need JWP to pass forwards at least 30% of the time. We need to transition the ball from Forster to the front line much quicker. We need Valery (yeah I know) next to Salisu (he’s quicker in mind and body than Bednarek or Stephens). We need an early goal.

We can win this, but I’m never confident even playing the worst teams in the league. I’m going 2-2.

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 1

On 12/03/2022 at 08:51, Saint Fan CaM said:

Just the type of team we lose against. They’re a team that likes to sit back and break quickly - we’re the mugs that like to get caught with our pants down in a high press in our final third, while fannying around recycling the ball as the front line stands static waiting for an incisive pass that never comes.

Jeez, I’m so cynical nowadays!

To win this game we need Perraud behind Moi and KWP on the right. We need Broja to link well with Stuey. We need JWP to pass forwards at least 30% of the time. We need to transition the ball from Forster to the front line much quicker. We need Valery (yeah I know) next to Salisu (he’s quicker in mind and body than Bednarek or Stephens). We need an early goal.

We can win this, but I’m never confident even playing the worst teams in the league. I’m going 2-2.

Spot on and in particular Valery to start. He has clearly transformed himself into a potentially decent CH but will need games to develop. So far none of our CH pairings have worked except bizarrely Stephens and Valery in the cup. Maybe three at the back today, that will put real pressure on their creaking defence, but equally it could play straight into the Rodgster's hands. He has won the tactical battle against Ralph on too many occasions for my liking.

I suspect we may also see Redmond for Moi today, that will annoy a few but we have mix it up a little. Maybe Redmond, KWP, Perraud, and the Armstrongs, running around like rats on speed will unsettle them more than two big guys up front.

Saints should have enough for this game .... oh when will I learn

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

What makes you think that a team that's been shit for 28 games are suddenly going to become 'brutal' against us?

ask Steve Gerrard. ahem

I think Broja is nesting ... it's that time of year

Edited by Tank

31 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This will sound very bizarre but is there a way of listening to the game this afternoon if you don't have a TV or radio? Can you listen online via laptop?

Yes you can listen to comms with Adam and Dave on the Southampton website. Any device

• Like 3

Second SMS trip of the week, third of the season and so far I've witnessed 2 defeats. Please can we win today! We need to get back some confidence before the City cup game. 

Based on the Newcastle game I'd bring back Perraud on the left and move KWP to the right, have Armstrong start for Broja and think about bringing in Stephens for Bednarek.

If I was Armstrong and saw Ely playing up top ahead of me I’d be pissed off.

Very surprised with Smallbone inclusion.

Djenepo and Tino not in the squad.

Shed a tear when I saw Walcott’s name because no doubt he’ll be the first sub on to “change the game”.

Watford set up for the counter attacks!

Should be shooting on site with Ben Foster in goal. Hopefully he’s too busy filming his latest YouTube vlog.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

interesting line up - 4-5-1 when out of possession to 4-3-3 when attacking 
I also had Smallbone in mind for this game... 
Think RH had to try something a bit different after the last two no shows - gives us quite a bit on the bench too (if makes use of it)
Like that Perraud is back... give us, with Salisu, two lefties to really spread the game out wide 
Worth a try first half at least

• Like 2

4141 returns. Good time for a tactical switch up I'd say. I assume we'll play the same we did against West ham in the league.

FF

Kwp bed sali perraud

Romeu

Stu smallbone jwp elyounoussi

Adams

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

Ralph switching things up today and rightly so.

It could be a 4141, or a 433 holding, or a more unlikely 4222 with Elyounoussi up top, or even more unlikely, it could be a 532 if Romeu drops into a CB position like he did in 1st half Villa away.

Let's keep Watford/Roy guessing

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Watford - Match Thread
3 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

That’s where Ralph needs to improve.

Seems every run of 5 or more wins, we could easily follow with a  run of 5 or more losses! Guess that's why we will always be a mid table at best team, but we seem even more erratic under Ralph, you just never know what you are going to get, when it clicks it clicks but when it doesn't we look very fragile, although I am not suggesting he should go

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic