Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Smallbone isn't up top, it's a 4141.

Not sure we’ve watched the same game. Small bone definitely playing further forward. More of a 4411 with Che, Smallbone, moi and Armstrong all playing in the same space. 

Regardless, it’s not working so needs to change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Either way, him playing instead of a proven forward is an awful decision

If only you'd mentioned that before kick off (rather than defending the line up) we'd now be hailing you as a footballing genius... 

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Slightly annoyed we scored because it means I can't vent as much now, but that was an utter disgrace

Very lucky to still be in this could easily be three nil or worse already

If Smallbone was in the side to give us more chances to break them down in the final third, it might be the tactic for the second half. Although they'll look for a counter, Watford will be focusing on being compact. We'll need more creative players in there. That said, I'd not mind seeing AA and later Djenepo on there a bit sooner than we saw last time out. Becuase we lacked drive and directness for a lot of that half, and we're going to need to drive at them at some point, and not pass it around in front of them.

5 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

HT. Really poor performance and we're lucky they've only scored two. Big second half needed, get Smallbone off, he just doesn't do anything when he's on the pitch. 

He really has contributed nothing young Smallbone. Got to get Broja on. We look so sluggish, no runs, all static, not enough pace in the side. 
Change it please Ralph.   
Defending has been Tyro league, pissing about at the back, crap balls, poor decisions, Salisu playing like he wants to stay next season - eg crap and no one looking at him will be impressed!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think the thread so far accurately represents the awful display/set up from Saints.  Do you not think?

Display - yes. We have given them everything they have got - Moi scores early on and it’s a different game. We are causing ourselves problems.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr X said:

Very lucky to still be in this could easily be three nil or worse already

Exactly, but I can’t explain how many times I’ve seen us in games when we should be 3 or 4 up by half time but go on to lose.

I hope Watford can feel that way by the end of today.

• Like 1

I've missed the first half. Summary on BBC says:

Southampton have been mostly shambolic during that first half. They get their lifeline late on.

Southampton, seemingly blinded by Ralph Hasenhuttl’s soccer science, were playing with no clue of how to construct their attacks.

They blundered their way through the first 35 minutes, conceding two really poor goals.

Is that a fair assessment of what I missed?

Just now, BotleySaint said:

Yes. I’d even say that’s generous. 

one of the worst half’s I can remember in a long time.. 

Just now, BotleySaint said:

Abject performance really... offering very little in attack in open play and wide open to their long ball counters.  Could have (should have) been 0-3 before we got 1 back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I feel like I'm not revered enough on this board. Noone is looking at me as the smartest in the room.

I crave that attention and recognition. It gives me self worth.

I know, I'm going to choose a great young player and then bang on and on about how shit he is in the hope I'm right and am the only one to be proved right.

Then, I'll take my place as the greatest football expert ever!

Don’t be a TWat…..

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

Still time for this to turn into the most amusing match thread of the season so far. COYS!

Not really, all of the vitriol has been justified.  I'll be retracting nothing. 

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic