Martin Semmens

OldNick

2 hours ago, Dellman said:

Is that helpful? I am happy with his investment, much needed, just disappointed at recent ludicrous appointment.

Not meant to be helpful, rather a true estimation of his abilities.  I am very happy with Dragan Solak's financial investment in our club, and feel for him in that it appears to have been trusted to charlatans operating remotely.

4 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

By any measure or metric Rasmus Ankersen is not world class in anything he does or has done, even the books are hackneyed biz-speak nonsense.  He's a hipster incarnation of a snake oil salesman.  

He too class at rolling his sleeves up, they’re always perfectly done

• Haha 2

I know a lot of people don't like Semmens, but ironically it felt like the club was better run when he was making decisions with no owner butting in to fuck it all up. The model couldn't last forever, and we needed investment, it's just a shame those who took over are so incompetent when it comes to running things.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SaintlySaz said:

I know a lot of people don't like Semmens, but ironically it felt like the club was better run when he was making decisions with no owner butting in to fuck it all up. The model couldn't last forever, and we needed investment, it's just a shame those who took over are so incompetent when it comes to running things.

Bring back Cortese, he would sort it out and it needs sorting out.

5 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

Though part of me now wonders if Wilcox will even take up his role. Did he bank on being in the Championship? 

As we have seen with Joe Shields it just takes a flash of leg from elsewhere and they’re off…

Its a fair take and a definite possibility yeah, I imagine he’s been redied for Championship football but honestly who knows anymore 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamiSaint said:

I find it hard to understand how two such competent - and in Ankersen's case, world class leadership expert - people have made such disastrous key strategic decisions:

1) Not parting company with Ralph after the summer

2) Not investing in a striker in the summer

3) Making a 20 year old goalkeeper with no top flight experience our number one (he may well be destined for great things)

4) Selling Oriel Romeu

5) Appointing Nathan Jones

Am sure they are working around the clock/trying really hard to make the right decisions, and SR have invested a huge amount to their credit, but I just find it baffling how they've essentially got every one of the major strategic calls wrong.

And 6) Appointing Selles as interim Manager to the end of the season. Who would not bet on this being reality?

7 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

By any measure or metric Rasmus Ankersen is not world class in anything he does or has done, even the books are hackneyed biz-speak nonsense.  He's a hipster incarnation of a snake oil salesman.  

He's a smarmy smooth-talker with nice hair, designer stubble and a sexy Danish accent.

If he had a cockney accent and looked like the bloke below he'd be widely dismissed as the fraud that he is.

Betting Bbc GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Indeed. I imagine most of us have come across "that guy" in our careers, the bloke who can speak with absolute crystal clear self-confidence about any subject and can convince most people in earshot that they know what they are talking about, and yet those with pre-existing knowledge can see him for what he is - a bit of a bluffer.

From what I gather from his time at Brentford, he was the "ideas guy" but also the vast majority of his ideas were ignored because there were checks and balances alongside and above him at the club to ensure he didn't go "off message". His job title was Joint-Director of Football. As mentioned elsewhere, he left Brentford 14 months ago and yet they didn't seek to hire a replacement, which seems to imply that they are happy to continue with the other DoF who remains at the club. Their record since that time would appear to back up that decision.

For all that he may have used the Thomas Frank defence when talking about the Nathan Jones situation, Frank was already a known quantity at Brentford as he was working at the club with their B team, so it was easier to give him a bit of rope when the early results weren't good because they had seen his management and coaching style in action over a long period of time.

Imagine him and Semmens in a meeting room with their white boards, flip charts, post it notes and multi coloured markers, mapping out their ideas. Congratulating each other on how brilliant they are. We've got two ideas guys and no one to actually do anything.

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Imagine him and Semmens in a meeting room with their white boards, flip charts, post it notes and multi coloured markers, mapping out their ideas. Congratulating each other on how brilliant they are. We've got two ideas guys and no one to actually do anything.

Yep. Cortese was a bellend but he was a doer. 

I din't start this thread to give Semmens a kicking as I truly believe he is good at his job, just he made the mistake of selecting the wrong consortium, ok a major mistake but he did it for the right reasons and how they set their plan out. 

20 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I din't start this thread to give Semmens a kicking as I truly believe he is good at his job, just he made the mistake of selecting the wrong consortium, ok a major mistake but he did it for the right reasons and how they set their plan out. 

Has he made the mistake of picking the wrong consortium? We don’t really know what the alternatives were… SR aren’t that bad, I think they’re aligning things were we need to be behind the scenes tbh and putting money where it needs to be

I’m not convinced Semmens is that fantastic at his job really, it’s basically all centered around Ralphs good work keeping us up.. thats largely it, that and soundbites… worth noting apparently he was the reason we failed to get a striker over the line in the summer

Im also not entirely sure Rasmus is the devil incarnate either, outside of the obvious fuck up in Jones

Haven’t really read this thread through but FWIW I’ve always been impressed by Semmens and reckon that he is open, straightforward and sensible !

Adam Blackmore seems to agree and he’s met him many times…

I realise that it’s more fashionable to be negative but I work on the principle of judging what I see and hear for myself and he has always come across as an OK guy ✔️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I was involved in some of the redevelopment at Staplewood.. Cortese was.. to put it mildly.. hard work

Yeah I had a few contacts at the club when he was there plus the echo and a mate of mine was involved in staplewood some of the stories were absolutely hilarious