The Athletic and Echo

washsaint

In what has been a truly horrific season, I have to say I have been massively impressed with both Jacob Tanswell of the Athletic and Benjy at the Echo.

Their reporting and in-depth analysis has been absolutely brilliant and shows good journalism is not dead just yet.

If only Saints were half as professional and diligent as these 2......

• Like 14

10 hours ago, washsaint said:

In what has been a truly horrific season, I have to say I have been massively impressed with both Jacob Tanswell of the Athletic and Benjy at the Echo.

Their reporting and in-depth analysis has been absolutely brilliant and shows good journalism is not dead just yet.

If only Saints were half as professional and diligent as these 2......

I’d definitely add Alfie House to that list. All very good young writers, and Jacob is a definite step up from the previous Athletic correspondent. Glad that he is staying ‘with us’ next season and hope that Alfie does too. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

I’d definitely add Alfie House to that list. All very good young writers, and Jacob is a definite step up from the previous Athletic correspondent. Glad that he is staying ‘with us’ next season and hope that Alfie does too. 

Always felt like Sheldon was using saints as little more than a career ladder, he seemed quite happy to put the club down if it suited, and by all accounts he upset a few behind the scenes (minimum). Never felt his analysis was being close to on par with any of the other journos we've had and I would have cancelled my Athletic subscription had he continued.

Tanswell is certainly a step up but still fairly average overall - although improving. I find he holds some quite partisan viewpoints about the club in some of his peices, but he does at least seem to hold an affinity for Saints, and he does have some decent analytics in him. Agree with others that say both Sheldon (particularly) and Tanswell tend to write stories out of / about nothing. 

Alfie house has been very good and has impressed me a lot this year, and works with less resources that the above - without doubt the best current journo dedicated to saints (imo) , probably since Anka.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Had Dan Sheldon continued at The Athletic I would have cancelled my subscription, but Jacob Tanswell has done a great job, feels like he has some passion for the job and club. All credit to him.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 3

Alfie House and Jacob Tanswell are both good reporters.

However, The Athletic’s reporting I believe is largely shocking, and also largely a hash, and then rehash of previous stories, or stories with little to no source that state the obvious.

I can’t fault the writing, but it’s something made out of nothing.

Always thought these two come across very well on the Total Saints Podcast too, and are very in touch with the fans and seeing and understanding what we all feel.

• Like 3

I liked when Dan Sheldon joined the forum, posted "I am going to be using Saints Web to communicate more frequently with supporters. If you have any queries, topics you want me to explore or anything else, then feel free to leave a comment/post a question." Made 16 further posts and then left the role never to be seen again. Good times.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

The athletic thankfully will be out the door on relegation, good riddance. 

Do you mean your subscription? Or The Athletic from reporting directly on Southampton? Because I can assure you that the dedicated reporting will continue.

30 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Alfie House and Jacob Tanswell are both good reporters.

However, The Athletic’s reporting I believe is largely shocking, and also largely a hash, and then rehash of previous stories, or stories with little to no source that state the obvious.

I can’t fault the writing, but it’s something made out of nothing.

Always thought these two come across very well on the Total Saints Podcast too, and are very in touch with the fans and seeing and understanding what we all feel.

I think that is a Tanswell issue rather than the Athletic. The Athletic has some wonderful content, and imo is well worth the (cheaper offers) subscription. Saints coverage has always been sub par imo. Never really got the Anka hype and find him largely up his own arse and over complicated with all his content. Shelton was factual and solid in detail but nothing much else. His work now for the Athletuc suits him better because he’s clearly been assigned to work on factual articles rather than anything needing a fan connection. Tanswell slightly the opposite imo. Clearly has affinity for the club and that goes a long way but man he loves to repeat his own stuff and rehash it in another article. The occasional inside knowledge which is good but the most infuriating bit about him is his insistence on trying to repeat the lingo used at the training ground like he’s one of the coaching staff. Continually repeating ‘Pausa’ in articles and in press conferences for a period was a particular cringeworthy moment.

Alfie House excellent though. Agreed. Detail, personable and affection for the club. Shame the site he works on his an ad fest and almost unusable. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Always felt like Sheldon was using saints as little more than a career ladder, he seemed quite happy to put the club down if it suited, and by all accounts he upset a few behind the scenes (minimum). Never felt his analysis was being close to on par with any of the other journos we've had and I would have cancelled my Athletic subscription had he continued.

Tanswell is certainly a step up but still fairly average overall - although improving. I find he holds some quite partisan viewpoints about the club in some of his peices, but he does at least seem to hold an affinity for Saints, and he does have some decent analytics in him. Agree with others that say both Sheldon (particularly) and Tanswell tend to write stories out of / about nothing. 

Alfie house has been very good and has impressed me a lot this year, and works with less resources that the above - without doubt the best current journo dedicated to saints (imo) , probably since Anka.

Is Jacob a saints fan then? he comes across as one and I like him on TSP. Never read the athletic though not my cup of tea.

I think Sheldon said on here he didn't support any club then got found out for being a pompey fan, by going back through his feed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Do Championship teams have dedicated writers at The Athletic? I just assumed Jacob would be assigned to a different PL team next season.

Yes and he's also confirmed he'll be covering Saints next year.

On 07/05/2023 at 09:05, SotonianWill said:

Is Jacob a saints fan then? he comes across as one and I like him on TSP. Never read the athletic though not my cup of tea.

I think Sheldon said on here he didn't support any club then got found out for being a pompey fan, by going back through his feed.

Indeed he is

2 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Some sort of fan with that backstabbing article hes unloaded at fulltime.

Pure tabloid nonsense and glad he and the athletic wont be grassing around the club next season.

Not sure Tanswell is backstabbing anyone with that article tbh. People inside the club definetely are though and need to be removed.

As above, you are going to be incredibly disappointed if you think the Athletic won't be fully invested in Saints next year.

9 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Some sort of fan with that backstabbing article hes unloaded at fulltime.

Pure tabloid nonsense and glad he and the athletic wont be grassing around the club next season.

It's almost midday in my part of the world, and you are comfortably leading the race for dumbest comment I'll read today.