Romeu - Barcelona

Yorkshire Saint

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

He would have been a positive force for us if he stayed last year. But we'd still have gone down as midfield wasn't the issue, it was utterly crap forwards. Hope he does well and plays there. 

I don’t think you can say that for certain. (I agree it’s likely though as we were crap all over the park as you said). 

There was a time at the start of the season under Ralph that we looked ok for a few games. Momentum is a huge thing in top level football. Maybe a few lucky wins or clean sheets around the time Lavia got injured and the whole season could have been different.

Romeu was a hugely important leader for the club and it was a shambles letting him go without a fight. If there is one lesson I hope the club learned from this relegation it’s that experience & leadership qualities are irreplaceable 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

I think there was... Romeu to Girona was a pre requisite to City selling us Lavia. 

Lavia signed in July. Romeu went on September 1st. The two transfers had nothing to do with each other.

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Lavia signed in July. Romeu went on September 1st. The two transfers had nothing to do with each other.

The romeu transfer was linked to the Edozie and larios transfers, not the lavia one. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not good enough for saints, eh

LOL

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

And...don't need him, we have Lavia (who was injured at the time)

Not my recollection, at least on this forum. The original plan was to surely have him and Lavia in the squad. We might have had a fighting chance last season, had we decided to be a bit more ruthless, put our foot down and hold onto him for another year like we did with Schneiderlin.

Here's the thread from last year. After you filter out the well-wishing comments, a lot of the posts are expressing concerns over his departure. I couldn't actually find any that said he was finished here.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/56707-oriol-romeu/page/4/

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
ok I did find some. FFS where's the delete button?

Where did it all go wrong for OR? From playing in the Adrenalin fueled cauldron and electric atmosphere of St. Mary's, to ending up at the dead beat wilderness of the Nou Camp..........Oh! 

Good luck to him. Great Saints servant, a proper player and by all accounts a good guy!!!

9 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Not my recollection, at least on this forum. The original plan was to surely have him and Lavia in the squad. We might have had a fighting chance last season, had we decided to be a bit more ruthless, put our foot down and hold onto him for another year like we did with Schneiderlin.

Here's the thread from last year. After you filter out the well-wishing comments, a lot of the posts are expressing concerns over his departure. I couldn't actually find any that said he was finished here.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/56707-oriol-romeu/page/4/

Had a quick look and there's hardly any negative comments about him, the overwhelming mood was one of disappointment that he was leaving and praising his time with the club.

However it's football and there's always going to be a few people with different opinions on a player. 

That thread goes back a bit, some old prolific posters on there who have since disappeared.

Whatever happened to that Batman guy? Seem to remember him being quite annoying. Funny that he's never resurfaced under a new login posting similar crap.

• Like 1

Us selling him was an odd decision imo, and to a club part owned by the City Football Group. Our dealings with that lot, overseen by a guy who left us just after, still has an odd feel to it. 

Anyways, delighted for Romeu. Great player, great character, and a fantastic move for him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Whatever happened to that Batman guy? Seem to remember him being quite annoying. Funny that he's never resurfaced under a new login posting similar crap.

Brett from Camden? Probably too busy driving his Brettmobile around town, or working on it in the Brettcave to have time for Saintsweb

4 hours ago, egg said:

Us selling him was an odd decision imo, and to a club part owned by the City Football Group. Our dealings with that lot, overseen by a guy who left us just after, still has an odd feel to it. 

Anyways, delighted for Romeu. Great player, great character, and a fantastic move for him. 

I don't think it was odd at all? He was in the twilight of his career and wanted to move home, we allowed a great servant to do so. 

• Like 3