Trevor Francis

East Kent Saint

Just now, East Kent Saint said:

Can't believe it , he was only a few months older than me .

He did have a heart attack a few years ago.

He was a a bit embarrassed about the £1m price tag but seemed to be a normal bloke .

I know someone who shagged him when he was away from his missus at a training camp.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coalman said:

For a moment I thought we were being linked with him.

Sad to see another prominent figure from my childhood dying.

I think as a player Saints were in the early 80s I read somewhere - might have been 1982/83. IIRC his first win as QPR player manager was 4-1 at the Dell Boxing Day 1988. Sad news, 69 no age. Didn’t realise he had a heart attack 11 years ago.

50 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

I think as a player Saints were in the early 80s I read somewhere - might have been 1982/83. IIRC his first win as QPR player manager was 4-1 at the Dell Boxing Day 1988. Sad news, 69 no age. Didn’t realise he had a heart attack 11 years ago.

Yep.. I was there. Paul Parker had a stormer iirc 

From the horses mouth. 
Lawrie told me he was on the verge of signing Trevor to partner Kevin Keegan from Manchester City on transfer deadline in 1981. Terms had been agreed and Francis happy to move but John Bond stalled (didn't want to lose him) telling Lawrie he couldn't find chairman Swales - and we missed the deadline.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

From the horses mouth. 
Lawrie told me he was on the verge of signing Trevor to partner Kevin Keegan from Manchester City on transfer deadline in 1981. Terms had been agreed and Francis happy to move but John Bond stalled (didn't want to lose him) telling Lawrie he couldn't find chairman Swales - and we missed the deadline.

Coming on here to post along those lines FF, one of a few near things in that great era with Bond and Clough close to LM. Francis was a class act, a ‘silky’ player often described as a luxury but in his day the most coveted forward in the top flight. Would love to have seen him in a Saints shirt. Not a bad manager either, particularly at Sheff Weds who had a third placed finish and both cup finals in his first three years. 

• Like 2

On 25/07/2023 at 07:07, Fitzhugh Fella said:

From the horses mouth. 

Wasn't it the transfer deadline day in 1982? He was still with Forest on deadline day 1981. I did hear that the senior players, including Alan Ball, implored Lawrie to sign Francis when we were top of the table as he would have added the extra we needed to win the league.

About 30 years ago he came to watch his son in our 6-a-side competition in Wokingham. His son's side got knocked out fairly early but he stayed on to present the cup at the end, was a very unassuming guy and really helpful on the day !

RIP Trevor