The New Set Piece Coach

OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint

Has anyone noticed any difference since it was announced we've employed a new set piece coach?

It's our corners/free kicks around the box that are particularly frustrating. Manning can often drop the ball in to the right spot but everyone is so static in the penalty area. It needs people to run on to the ball and attack the corner. Because nothing's happening in the middle, it was noticeable against Middlesbro, they resorted to a number of short corners which ended up passing backwards to the halfway line.

• Like 2

It seems to me football is money for old rope. You don't have to be particularly bright or good at much to land some of the well paid jobs available. As long as you played at a reasonable level or managed to get a badge or two or even can just talk a good game you can con yourself a job and be be set for life. Fuck up in one job, you'll likely receive a huge pay-off and then some other sucker will fall for the snake oil salesman pitch again - rinse and repeat. It's becoming a bit of a joke industry where millions are earned in many cases by people who haven't got a scooby.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, saintant said:

It seems to me football is money for old rope. You don't have to be particularly bright or good at much to land some of the well paid jobs available. As long as you played at a reasonable level or managed to get a badge or two or even can just talk a good game you can con yourself a job and be be set for life. Fuck up in one job, you'll likely receive a huge pay-off and then some other sucker will fall for the snake oil salesman pitch again - rinse and repeat. It's becoming a bit of a joke industry where millions are earned in many cases by people who haven't got a scooby.

Contracts shouldn’t be paid in full to reward failure.  It is so naive.

History is littered with managers who virtually sack themselves for the payoff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Another guy who has done well elsewhere, notably Brentford and was lauded for what he did there, who ultimately fails here. It's a recurring theme now and I'm bored of it.

Blighted. Bring back the White Witch. 

Joking aside, she'd probably be as effective as some of the coaching team. 

On 24/09/2023 at 11:49, S-Clarke said:

Another guy who has done well elsewhere, notably Brentford and was lauded for what he did there, who ultimately fails here. It's a recurring theme now and I'm bored of it.

Georgson joined beginning of August, should have fixed everything by now, Georgson out. :mcinnes:

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Foolishly, I thought the focus would be on how we defend them to keep goals out. But all the effort has instead gone into how we use our attacking ones to ensure we let goals in from those.

I seem to recall reading when he joined that this would be more of the focus, but can't find the article now.