Ricardo Fuller video of goal vs Derby

thesaint sfc

I'm trying to find probably the best goal I've ever seen in person from a saints player. It was the 90th minute I think and he pretty much volleyed it from the halfway line. I was about 15 so my memory is a bit hazy. I've had a good look through youtube and can't find anything.

I remember the game - We went 1 up, they got a dodgy penalty that Niemi saved and had to be retaken because Niemi moved or something. Then they got a stupid free kick which they scored from an offside position and Fuller scored the volley in the 90th minute. A whole bunch of people got booked for no reason. Across 90 minutes it was the worst refereeing display I've ever seen. Nigel Miller it was. 

But no, I haven't seen that goal since. Wasn't quite the half way line though, it was about 25-30 yards.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I still sad for Ricardo as he was so badly treated by our fans. 

Totally agree. I always thought he was class. Signed him for £150k and he scored some really vital goals for us. I'll never forget going to Luton away and I'll never forgive some of our fans for some of the racist shit they were chanting at him. People just hated him for the sake of it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, thesaint sfc said:

Totally agree. I always thought he was class. Signed him for £150k and he scored some really vital goals for us. I'll never forget going to Luton away and I'll never forgive some of our fans for some of the racist shit they were chanting at him. People just hated him for the sake of it. 

The fact he came from Pompey didn't help. Not that that, in any way, shape or form justifies racism but it is going to fuel it when you have racists and then add something ELSE that they don't like about someone.

I must admit, I never rated Fuller at Saints and as a lairy 13-14 year old was probably too harsh on him. Looking back, he quite clearly wasn't fit which wasn't his fault. He also didn't help himself by trying to score from a situation where we put the ball out for a Stoke player being injured and he had a shot from the resulting throw in. Having said that, if he had experienced racist abuse at the mouths of our fans then you can't really blame him for it.

2 hours ago, thesaint sfc said:

Even less than that! Just £90k.

In football terms, barely even worth bothering with a fee.

It was only about 30 yards out and he volleyed it from a keepers head out, the keeper left himself on the edge of the box so it was an empty net. An epic goal, but not quite the worldy you seem to be remembering. 

There used to be a video on YouTube set to "Roc ya body, mic check 1-2" that had it on, it was basically like a compilation of that championship season. Ended up with Burley coming in set to "The Key the Secret" 😂 worked out well. 

Anyway, can't find that video anymore. Did find Javis old YouTube channel (remember him!?) though which has the classic "saint until u die" on it (original Saints song over footage of the 2003 FA cup run) as well as few other Idiakez themed videos and bizarrely a video of Mario Licka scoring a penalty for Caen. 

https://youtu.be/xmb4xfZEDO0?si=MtEvQfiUHpfwY_pd

Edited by Saint_clark

22 hours ago, thesaint sfc said:

they hated him as he was Redknapp and Pompey. The abuse he had was disgraceful, very saddened when he went off to jeers of 'f-off Fuller' and that turned him to shed tears. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Shades of Viafara in the play off semi for that one. That 2005 game was televised if I remember correctly. Remember watching it.

Yes. Sunday afternoon I believe but I wouldn't swear to that one.

One thing I've wondered - Viafara had already scored earlier in that game (and he didn't get that many in a season) and he didn't pull his shirt up for the "Sorry I spoilt the party" message because obviously at that point the party hadn't been spoiled. So were they all just wearing those just on the off chance that one of them scored a last minute goal?

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yes. Sunday afternoon I believe but I wouldn't swear to that one.

One thing I've wondered - Viafara had already scored earlier in that game (and he didn't get that many in a season) and he didn't pull his shirt up for the "Sorry I spoilt the party" message because obviously at that point the party hadn't been spoiled. So were they all just wearing those just on the off chance that one of them scored a last minute goal?

Didn't he write it on his vest at half time? The fact it was scribbled in such broken English was hilarious.

On 27/10/2023 at 09:23, Kenilworthy said:

Played 34 games in 2005/6 and was top scorer. So he wasn't always injured.

He was undroppable until Harry left, played almost every minute of every game until the change in manager. Only scored 3 goals until march (also had a loan spell at Ipswich where he scored 2 goals in 3 games, can't remember if he was recalled or it was only for a month) then scored 6 in 6 in the final run in of the season. I distinctly remember him scoring at home to Millwall, and shouting "f*ck off" at the Saints fans - he'd already had enough of us. 

Weird season really, looking back at it. 9 draws in the first 15 games and only 2 defeats. Even after Burley came in we were in danger of relegation until Fuller came back, his return to the team led to 5 wins in 6 games and a rise from 18th to 12th - we were 20th the game before he came back. 

24 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He was undroppable until Harry left, played almost every minute of every game until the change in manager. Only scored 3 goals until march (also had a loan spell at Ipswich where he scored 2 goals in 3 games, can't remember if he was recalled or it was only for a month) then scored 6 in 6 in the final run in of the season. I distinctly remember him scoring at home to Millwall, and shouting "f*ck off" at the Saints fans - he'd already had enough of us. 

Weird season really, looking back at it. 9 draws in the first 15 games and only 2 defeats. Even after Burley came in we were in danger of relegation until Fuller came back, his return to the team led to 5 wins in 6 games and a rise from 18th to 12th - we were 20th the game before he came back. 

Millwall...If I remember rightly, we relegated them that day and we were 1-0 up and they had everyone pushed forward including their keeper and we just broke and put it into an empty net. I think that was Fuller who scored that goal. Or he may have scored the first. Or I may be thinking of a different game entirely. Memory isn't what it used to be for this kind of thing.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Millwall...If I remember rightly, we relegated them that day and we were 1-0 up and they had everyone pushed forward including their keeper and we just broke and put it into an empty net. I think that was Fuller who scored that goal. Or he may have scored the first. Or I may be thinking of a different game entirely. Memory isn't what it used to be for this kind of thing.

You're right, that's just jogged my memory. He scored it down the Chapel end on the break. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2023 at 18:43, Saint_clark said:

Found it! 4 minutes in, sound is a little off. As I said, 30 yards ;)

Whole thing is worth a watch just for the nostalgia.

https://youtu.be/_G75gYBaMnM?si=8OyS_xEm5_bAaUyK

Brilliant - well found. Weird that in my memory it was the greatest goal ever scored. Not quite but a good one 🤣

Also reminded me to rock my body which is something I'm often forgetting to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thesaint sfc said:

Brilliant - well found. Weird that in my memory it was the greatest goal ever scored. Not quite but a good one 🤣

Also reminded me to rock my body which is something I'm often forgetting to do.

If I remember correctly, Niemi saved a penalty which the ref made them retake, then Redknapp got sent to the stands, then Hajto got sent off. I left when this happened in a fit of fury and missed the equaliser 😂🤦🏼‍♂️ never left a game early after that.

52 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If I remember correctly, Niemi saved a penalty which the ref made them retake, then Redknapp got sent to the stands, then Hajto got sent off. I left when this happened in a fit of fury and missed the equaliser 😂🤦🏼‍♂️ never left a game early after that.

Redknapp's heart may not have been in the job as a whole but that day it was. He went absolutely mental in his post match interview and even if he had no other day where he was passionate about the job, he was on that one day.

47 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Redknapp's heart may not have been in the job as a whole but that day it was. He went absolutely mental in his post match interview and even if he had no other day where he was passionate about the job, he was on that one day.

I think the whole "heart not in it" thing was a cover for the poor job he did to be honest. I saw plenty of passion from him on the sidelines.

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I think the whole "heart not in it" thing was a cover for the poor job he did to be honest. I saw plenty of passion from him on the sidelines.

I was never sure if he was red because he cared or because his diet consisted mostly of burgers and booze. Same with George Burley. Can't believe either of them are still alive tbh.

On 26/10/2023 at 17:04, Bad Wolf said:

The fact he came from Pompey didn't help. Not that that, in any way, shape or form justifies racism but it is going to fuel it when you have racists and then add something ELSE that they don't like about someone.

I must admit, I never rated Fuller at Saints and as a lairy 13-14 year old was probably too harsh on him. Looking back, he quite clearly wasn't fit which wasn't his fault. He also didn't help himself by trying to score from a situation where we put the ball out for a Stoke player being injured and he had a shot from the resulting throw in. Having said that, if he had experienced racist abuse at the mouths of our fans then you can't really blame him for it.

I might be controversial here, but I don't really understand why we would hate a player just because they played for Portsmouth. There are a very small select of players that have been embedded of the fabric of that club, and sure, makes sense to give them some stick. And for someone like Arry, yeah absolutely. But most players just do not give a shit. And why would they either? A player isn't going to be approached by Portsmouth and think 'oh shit I better be careful, this might scupper my future dream of playing for the mighty saints'. They sign for either us or them because they think it is the best step in their career. This applies especially for foreign players with no connection to the UK, let alone the South Coast, why the fuck would you hate them just cos they played for a club playing in a city they probably couldn't have placed on a map? If we can sign a good player from them, we absolutely should and give them full support. Take someone like Viafara. The fact he played previously for Portsmouth never stopped him from giving it everything for us as well. The rivalry is amongst fans, but not the players

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1