Lawrie McMenemy

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Agree.

Signing the European Player of the Year/England captain, something we'll never see again. Lawrie certainly gave us our finest years, great shame we couldn't get a trophy between 1980-84 with the players we had in that era and style of football we played. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 13

Absolute legend and brought us the best times in our history. Happy to be there and along for the ride in those days 🙂 

Was also able to get consistently high performances out of a group of older and experienced players in a way that few, if any, managers are able to do today. 

• Like 1

Ted Bates was in charge when I started going and Lawrie Mac didn’t get off to a great start when he took over and relegation and the long barracking walk to the dugout soon followed. In the next 2-3 years he’d overseen our one major trophy success, got us to the the quarter finals of a European cup as a second division side and promotion soon followed.

Unfortunately our board’s ambition never matched his which lead to him eventually naffing off for a few years (hurt at the time but understandable with hindsight) - but gets legend status for many of us. Cheers Lawrie!

• Like 4

Man is a genuine legend and it would be nice to see a statue in his lifetime.  Those years were the absolute best time to be a Saints fan, at it's peak attacking beautiful football with a relentless workrate and team spirit.  Brilliant blend of experience and potential, and the Dell rocking.  Deserved to win the league and cup double in 1983/84, but sadly not to be.  

• Like 11

Was too young for his teams, but my old man took me and my brother along to the last game at the dell where we bumped into him in the car park and started chatting to him; we ended up with him signing the FA Cup page in the commemorative dell programme - so a great little memory to have all in all. Wish i could have seen some of his teams in the early 80s though!

The term Legend is a very well worn term these days, almost a throw away line. In the case of Lawrie McMenemy, with Saints, he is the true meaning of the term with all its lustre. 

As @Miltonaggro just said they were indeed the absolute best times to be a Saints fan. We feared no one and often bloodied the big boys noses, European Champions Forest getting smashed 4-1 on a Saturday afternoon springs to mind, a glorious day to be inside the Dell. He got the chemistry right, seasoned pros blended with wet behind the ears nippers, along with something many today, especially in the stands, don't seem to appreciate: "a good team needs to made up of Road Sweepers and Violinists". Another of Lawries nuggets about Saints fans that he drilled into the players, "Hampshire folk are quite gentile by nature, you give them something on the pitch to shout about, and they will become the loudest in the land to back you up".    

Its always great seeing him on a matchday walking past the store, acknowledging everyone who says hello, happy to shake the hands of "old boys" who were there in the stands. Kids asking, as he walks past, noting the attention, "who is he?" their Mums, Dads, Grandads, or Grannys - "Thats Lawrie McMenemy.................".     

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

The term Legend is a very well worn term these days, almost a throw away line. In the case of Lawrie McMenemy, with Saints, he is the true meaning of the term with all its lustre. 

As @Miltonaggro just said they were indeed the absolute best times to be a Saints fan. We feared no one and often bloodied the big boys noses, European Champions Forest getting smashed 4-1 on a Saturday afternoon springs to mind, a glorious day to be inside the Dell. He got the chemistry right, seasoned pros blended with wet behind the ears nippers, along with something many today, especially in the stands, don't seem to appreciate: "a good team needs to made up of Road Sweepers and Violinists". Another of Lawries nuggets about Saints fans that he drilled into the players, "Hampshire folk are quite gentile by nature, you give them something on the pitch to shout about, and they will become the loudest in the land to back you up".    

Its always great seeing him on a matchday walking past the store, acknowledging everyone who says hello, happy to shake the hands of "old boys" who were there in the stands. Kids asking, as he walks past, noting the attention, "who is he?" their Mums, Dads, Grandads, or Grannys - "Thats Lawrie McMenemy.................".     

That 4-1 was a particular favourite of mine, took them apart and Clough praised us for it.

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

That 4-1 was a particular favourite of mine, took them apart and Clough praised us for it.

Thanks for digging that out - if the quality was that of today I could probably stop and scroll frame by frame spot my 15 year old self up against the wall at the front of the Milton Road end jumping up and down cheering like a loon - even more because of my then hero Phil Boyer bagging a brace.

Monday morning at school in north Hampshire the amount of kids, and teachers, asking "were you at the game on Saturday". 

• Like 1

Thanks for digging that out - if the quality was that of today I could probably stop and scroll frame by frame spot my 15 year old self up against the wall at the front of the Milton Road end jumping up and down cheering like a loon - even more because of my then hero Phil Boyer bagging a brace.

Monday morning at school in north Hampshire the amount of kids, and teachers, asking "were you at the game on Saturday". 

Wish we could go back to proper striped kit like that one

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Wish we could go back to proper striped kit like that one

Yes I agree other clubs like Brentford Sunderland Stoke and Exeter probably still have them it is alway nice to see fans from those clubs wearing them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Agree.

Signing the European Player of the Year/England captain, something we'll never see again. Lawrie certainly gave us our finest years, great shame we couldn't get a trophy between 1980-84 with the players we had in that era and style of football we played. 

don't forget also that KK was just ONE of FIVE players he signed who had captained England ... at one time or another.  

8 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Great guy. Strange what you remember. I also recall seeing him acknowledging everyone and then there were those alcohol free lager ads he did...before he got done for drink driving. 🙃

34 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Great guy. Strange what you remember. I also recall seeing him acknowledging everyone and then there were those alcohol free lager ads he did...before he got done for drink driving. 🙃

Barbican... it's great, man !

Sorry Lawrie, got that wrong, although I'd have said the same for the fee I expect. Have often thought about how sickly and shit Barbican was when now drinking an alcohol free beer (or Guinness - now that is progress).

47 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

don't forget also that KK was just ONE of FIVE players he signed who had captained England ... at one time or another.  

Yes, good point. Think it was KK, Alan Ball, Mick Channon, Mick Mills, and Peter Shilton. The trick question I think used to be about them playing in the same Saints team, which was a myth as Mills and Shilton joined after KK left.

Just a thought, but presume Dave Watson didn't captain England at any stage.

It was an unbelievable period & he was an unbelievable manager for us. Not only did he win something (when it was so much more important than it is now) but the style & swagger was fantastic. The great great experienced players he brought in and blended them with fantastic talented youngsters. I feel pretty privileged that I was around during that era. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Yes, good point. Think it was KK, Alan Ball, Mick Channon, Mick Mills, and Peter Shilton. The trick question I think used to be about them playing in the same Saints team, which was a myth as Mills and Shilton joined after KK left.

Yes, big Dave captained England three times. What a player he was. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Yes he did. Mick C only captained England once, when the real captain was out