Kinks (The Band, for the love of Christ don't share your actual kinks)

gio1saints

God I actually agree with both you are saying.  The Kinks are so badly underrated but they massively inspired The Jam ( and so many others ) - two of my favourite bands. But I’ve got a heavy cold plus injured my calf reffing on Sunday so I’m obviously not 100%. 

Both excellent song choices. Only problem is, of course, - and frankly I am rather surprised that neither of you picked this up - but there is absolutely NO reference to Pompey in either song. 

Despite that, if DB joins and performs a half decent pass ( better yet a goal) I will be solo starting “ I wish I could be like David Brooke’s” from Block 41…..😇😁

Edited by gio1saints

On 11/01/2024 at 09:51, gio1saints said:

God I actually agree with both you are saying.  The Kinks are so badly underrated but they massively inspired The Jam ( and so many others ) - two of my favourite bands. But I’ve got a heavy cold plus injured my calf reffing on Sunday so I’m obviously not 100%. 

Both excellent song choices. Only problem is, of course, - and frankly I am rather surprised that neither of you picked this up - but there is absolutely NO reference to Pompey in either song. 

Despite that, if DB joins and performs a half decent pass ( better yet a goal) I will be solo starting “ I wish I could be like David Brooke’s” from Block 41…..😇😁

I’m a great fan of the Kinks. Their bass player Nobby Dalton used to live next door to my sister and I know him quite well. There is a tribute band called ’Kast Off Kinks’ which has had its problems due to the sad death of one of its members but from their website I see that they seem to be going again.

https://kastoffkinks.co.uk/html/gigs_2024.html

35 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’m a great fan of the Kinks. Their bass player Nobby Dalton used to live next door to my sister and I know him quite well. There is a tribute band called ’Kast Off Kinks’ which has had its problems due to the sad death of one of its members but from their website I see that they seem to be going again.

Thanks Whitey. Agreed Kinks were well ahead of their time in so many ways. Bit like MLT in his prime. The world by and large didn’t “get him” so he just got left out of the England squads.
Think I might try get myself to one of these (or more) gigs. Went Oslo for Bruce again recently and hoping to see him again this year Europe or who knows , feck it , the States. Rare Talent must be appreciated whilst we have them around. ( and are around ourselves!) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I was a great fan of the Kinks in the 60's and saw them a few times in their heyday. I also really enjoyed the stage musical "Sunny Afternoon" which is based on/tells the story of the band. Have seen it three times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I was a great fan of the Kinks in the 60's and saw them a few times in their heyday. I also really enjoyed the stage musical "Sunny Afternoon" which is based on/tells the story of the band. Have seen it three times.

I missed the 60's, but a huge fan of the music of that era, thanks to my parents. I think The Kinks are the most underated band of that time, personally prefer them over The Beatles. 

• Like 2

Okay, question for all you Kinks fans, who is the greatest legend, Ray Davies or Ron Davies ?

Mods, can we have a poll ?

(Although not sure we should be asking Mods on this occasion).

Edited by Badger

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I missed the 60's, but a huge fan of the music of that era, thanks to my parents. I think The Kinks are the most underated band of that time, personally prefer them over The Beatles. 

No Kinks, but this is the sort of thing that you missed in the 60's. I saw this tour in P*rtsmouth on Nov 23rd:- "The 16-date UK package tour kicked off on 14 November 1967. Thirty-one shows in 16 cities, the tour featured The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, The Move, Nice, and Amen Corner who all played two shows a night, and at each gig, the headlining Hendrix was allotted exactly 40 minutes. The Move, who preceded Hendrix onstage, had just half an hour, and Pink Floyd were allowed between 15 and 20 minutes. Tickets cost from 7/6 to 15 shillings (37.5p to 75p)."

image.png.a9731d444f878704170d158d9bfb3694.png

Edited by miserableoldgit

32 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

No Kinks, but this is the sort of thing that you missed in the 60's. I saw this tour in P*rtsmouth on Nov 23rd:- "The 16-date UK package tour kicked off on 14 November 1967. Thirty-one shows in 16 cities, the tour featured The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, The Move, Nice, and Amen Corner who all played two shows a night, and at each gig, the headlining Hendrix was allotted exactly 40 minutes. The Move, who preceded Hendrix onstage, had just half an hour, and Pink Floyd were allowed between 15 and 20 minutes. Tickets cost from 7/6 to 15 shillings (37.5p to 75p)."

Love The Move as well. Flowers in the rain and Blackberry Way are great songs. So many bands from the 60's that recorded proper music.

5 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

“You really got me” was the first single that I bought. I’ve seen Sunny Afternoon twice and when those five notes ring out it really gets to me.

I saw the Kast off Kinks a few years ago in Fareham and shared a pint with them afterwards. Their lead guitarist Dave Clarke has had a varied and interesting career. He joined the Royal Navy and served in the Falklands later retiring as a Commander.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Clarke_(musician)

45 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Fuck me, the circle of trust thread is more relevant to our January transfer window than this thread is about David Brooks.

Stop pissing on our bonfire, we're having a great discussion here about The Kinks.

Besides, the COT head honcho has come up with a song for David Brooks before he's even signed, so as far as I'm concerned, he's definitely joining us and it's a done deal. I think that's how it's supposed to work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Stop pissing on our bonfire, we're having a great discussion here about The Kinks.

Besides, the COT head honcho has come up with a song for David Brooks before he's even signed, so as far as I'm concerned, he's definitely joining us and it's a done deal. I think that's how it's supposed to work.

speaking out for the rights of people with a cervix on one thread, providing inside transfer scoops and world class banter on another thread, coming up with songs and invoking discussion about great bands on here. There really isn't anything i cant do a football forum is there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

That's a mental tour. 15-20 minutes for Pink Floyd! 

There's a decent exhibition upstairs at Portsmouth Guildhall with stuff about all those bands and more. Worth a look if you haven't been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

That's a mental tour. 15-20 minutes for Pink Floyd! 

There's a decent exhibition upstairs at Portsmouth Guildhall with stuff about all those bands and more. Worth a look if you haven't been.

My missus went to a Beatles Christmas Show at the Finsbury Park Astoria in December 1963. 

Proper music.

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

My missus went to a Beatles Christmas Show at the Finsbury Park Astoria in December 1963. 

Proper music.

My mum saw them in Bournemouth. My dad uses to go to loads of gigs saw pretty much everyone back in the day. My mother in law saw Hendrix play in Worthing! Worthing FFS. 

I'm interested to know what proper music is though? There's been thousands of great bands throughout music history and thousands more to come.

Back to the Kinks, I'm a big fan of the Village Green Preservation Society. Probably my favourite album of that era.

42 minutes ago, The Cat said:

My mum saw them in Bournemouth. My dad uses to go to loads of gigs saw pretty much everyone back in the day. My mother in law saw Hendrix play in Worthing! Worthing FFS. 

I'm interested to know what proper music is though? There's been thousands of great bands throughout music history and thousands more to come.

Back to the Kinks, I'm a big fan of the Village Green Preservation Society. Probably my favourite album of that era.

When I say ‘proper music’ I mean stuff played on real instruments, not this synthesised computer-generated noise that seems to have been around for ever. I suppose I really mean anything played on vinyl. My big sister even had some 78s of Elvis and Gene Vincent back in the 50s but they were typically made of shellac and didn’t survive too long.

I remember my dad buying her a Dansette record player that she could use in her own room. Otherwise we had the family gramophone.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Longer version

I must mention here a tribute to ‘Spud’. Back in the days when we used to take the supporters’ coach to away matches someone who cam along with us was Spud. He lived in Romsey and I often saw him on Friday evenings in the pub when I was reviewing the week with my business partner. On away trips he would rush up and greet you cheerfully whenever he saw you.

He was a lovely lad, always a pleasure to be with and full of life. Sadly he succumbed to cancer far too soon, in his thirties I would have said.

He was an avid Kinks fan.

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Little old Worthing hosted an early REM English gig at the Carioca.

1042366460_images(7).jpeg.b479d349906b6ab4c42cd3b85ba92816.jpeg

• Like 1