Valenciennes

Tommy Mulgrew

A while ago, I suggested that we should start a new thread for Christophe (and others) to keep us updated on VAFC.  He and several others favoured the idea and, as far as I recall, nobody demurred.  So, here it is, celebrating the win against Paris FC in the Coupe de France yesterday.  It should enable posts about VAFC to be separate from those more generally about Sports Republic.  If we get a regular contributor from our Turkish sister club, we could start a thread for Goztepe, too.

Enjoy your dedicated thread, Christophe.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

A while ago, I suggested that we should start a new thread for Christophe (and others) to keep us updated on VAFC.  He and several others favoured the idea and, as far as I recall, nobody demurred.  So, here it is, celebrating the win against Paris FC in the Coupe de France yesterday.  It should enable posts about VAFC to be separate from those more generally about Sports Republic.  If we get a regular contributor from our Turkish sister club, we could start a thread for Goztepe, too.

Enjoy your dedicated thread, Christophe.

I can only thank you sincerely for creating this position in my honour and in the honour of my club.

I'd be delighted to keep you up to date with the latest news from Valenciennes.

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions, I'll be happy to answer them !

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I'm intrigued to hear your thoughts on Joachim Kayi Sanda please. How good can he be and if it's positive could he end up here?

Joachim is a young player who has been with us since the summer of 2021. He recently signed his 1st pro contract in September 2023 and is now under contract until 2026.

A very intelligent player with a good head on his shoulders.

Here is an extract from our local media: "La Voix du Nord":

"Joachim Kayi Sanda arrived at VAFC's training centre in the summer of 2021 from Boulogne-Billancourt, and has been quick to impress. From Loïc Fievet at U17 level to Simon Raux, the training centre director, and Sigamary Diarra, the man behind his arrival, everyone at the club has hailed his immense maturity. "He's the kind of player every coach dreams of having in his team," Loïc Fievet summed up last year, when JKS was captain in the Gambardella. He was also captain of the French U17 team and has been upgraded in every category at VA, so he is used to growing up fast. "He's not like the others: off the pitch, he doesn't spread himself too thin with all those things he does for the youngsters, and on the pitch, he's not afraid to talk to the adults," says those around him. Having joined the pro squad this season after several training sessions last year, he has quickly found his place in the men's game. "Because he already is one," says Maciel (last coach of Valenciennes."

He's realised that he could be someone important here and he never goes out of his way to be very professional," says his coach with satisfaction. He's always regular in training. He's concentrated and capable of putting in a sustained effort. Even Sven Botman at Lille had some incredible games, but his concentration wasn't there at the start of the week. Joachim, on the other hand, is always on top form. Equipped to go very high, he is giving himself the means to follow in the footsteps of Dayot Upamecano and Ismaël Doukoure, two other VA-trained defenders with very precocious talent. For Taylor Moore, there is no doubt about his success. "Probably the best young player I've seen," said the English defender after his team-mate's signing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a long and successful career as a professional footballer.

• Like 1

Just now, ChristopheVAFC said:

It's one of our old shirts, but a very good choice, with one of the stands of our old stadium, the Stade Nungesser.

Good colour of course but its looks a bit like a Rugby shirt. Good price though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Personally, I think I'll be buying your shirt when I come here soon :)

Each to their own!

The last Saints shirt I bought was for 2010/11 season and that's only cos it was a special one for our 125th anniversary.

31 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Full grown adults buying football shirts is something I'll never understand. Especially other teams.

Totally agree havnt owned a Saints shirt for years  or a scarf for that matter. 
I might wear an unusual shirt as leisurewear , going up the shops or something. 
Going to St Mary’s my limit is an enamel pin badge.

I remember talking about clothes was a big deal on the original Saints Web.

Edited by manji

8 hours ago, manji said:

Totally agree havnt owned a Saints shirt for years  or a scarf for that matter. 
I might wear an unusual shirt as leisurewear , going up the shops or something. 
Going to St Mary’s my limit is an enamel pin badge.

I remember talking about clothes was a big deal on the original Saints Web.

It's true that this is a subject that will always be debated haha.

Personally, I think you have to wear your colours proudly, whether at home or away.

Even if the most important thing is to be there to support your team.

• Like 1

Good evening everyone.

My team lost again tonight against FC Girondins de Bordeaux.

The content was much better, but it's still not working out for us.

Note the presence of Henrik Kraft in the stands.

Next game this Saturday at home against Bastia (Corsica).

Good night to you all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Oh no Mick Mills said:

Hi Christopher, 

Just curious to know if Vallenciennes play a heavy possession based game similar to us? 

Hello Mick!

Initially, with our former coach, Jorge Maciel, it was more or less his philosophy of play, possession of the ball, high and attacking play, but it never worked...

With our current coach, Ahmed Kantari, it's a bit more of a simple game and it's based on construction.

We've rarely had so many chances in a game this season.

The problem for us is that when you're last in the league, it's difficult and you don't necessarily have confidence or success.

I hope we can get back on track quickly. 

• Like 3

I just done a bit of quick research on your town and club and Wiki says you have a population of just over 40,000 but you have a 25,000 seater stadium! 

It's a shame to see you sat bottom of Ligue 2 and it's not looking good for you guys as currently you look a little adrift of your nearest relegation rivals. 

Fingers crossed for a big upturn in your fortunes. 

Maybe we can loan you our French striker Sekou Mara. 

What sort of crowds do you get and is there discontent with Sports Republic?.

Last season when we're relegated from the Premier League Rasmus Ankerson was behind some of the more poor decisions the club made. 

Thankfully he's taken more of a back seat now and we have a proper director of Football in Jason Wilcox. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oh no Mick Mills said:

I just done a bit of quick research on your town and club and Wiki says you have a population of just over 40,000 but you have a 25,000 seater stadium! 

It's a shame to see you sat bottom of Ligue 2 and it's not looking good for you guys as currently you look a little adrift of your nearest relegation rivals. 

Fingers crossed for a big upturn in your fortunes. 

Maybe we can loan you our French striker Sekou Mara. 

What sort of crowds do you get and is there discontent with Sports Republic?.

Last season when we're relegated from the Premier League Rasmus Ankerson was behind some of the more poor decisions the club made. 

Thankfully he's taken more of a back seat now and we have a proper director of Football in Jason Wilcox. 

The city of Valenciennes has around 41,000 inhabitants and its conurbation (the towns around Valenciennes) has just over 192,000 inhabitants.

From 1911 to 2011, we had a stadium called the Stade Nungesser, with a capacity of 16,547, and since 2011 we have had the Stade du Hainaut, with a capacity of 25,172.

For 9 years, our club was run by a chairman who is, in real life, a company director in Valenciennes.

His management has been more than dubious and he has had many problems with employees, players and supporters too.

The sale of our club to Sport Republic was difficult because he was very tough in the negotiations.

We were relieved when our club was sold.

Of course, it's not what we had hoped for from a sporting point of view, but most of us are aware that it will take time to rebuild.

Some people are unhappy of course, but we're keeping faith in Sport Républic, because we're aware that SR has taken over a club in a sorry state (debts, some facilities in need of repair).

I take Sekou Mara every day haha! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Apparently although Valenciennes have a nice new 25,000 capacity stadium, the average home crowd is 6,500.

Yes, my stadium has 25,172 seats, it hasn't been full very often and the fact that the sporting results don't follow suit doesn't bring people to the stadium...

I think that when we have better results, and we're playing at the top of the table, we'll have more people at the stadium.

20220827_195617.jpg

• Like 4

Christophe,
Hope you dont mind answering the questions below.
Really interested to see how your stadium  move compared to ours.

What was the capacity of the old stadium?
Did the attendance figures increase at the impressive new stadium?
Who paid for the construction?
How much was the cost?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

The city of Valenciennes has around 41,000 inhabitants and its conurbation (the towns around Valenciennes) has just over 192,000 inhabitants.

From 1911 to 2011, we had a stadium called the Stade Nungesser, with a capacity of 16,547, and since 2011 we have had the Stade du Hainaut, with a capacity of 25,172.

Christophe has already answered some of your questions!

Edited by johnnyboy
Missing words
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kitch said:

Wikipedia page needs updating, no mention of Sport Republic!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valenciennes_FC

The French version of Wikipedia:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valenciennes_Football_Club

"Purchase by Sport Republic (2023-)

After the club held on to its title at the last minute on the final day of the season, rumours of a sale resurfaced. On 16 June 2023, the management published a press release announcing that "the club's majority shareholders had entered into exclusive negotiations with Sport Republic, a London-based sports investment company and majority shareholder in English football club Southampton FC and Turkish football club Göztepe SK, with a view to investing in the club's economic and sporting development "64. On 13 July 2023, following two general meetings, the sale of the club was completed. To embody their plans, the new directors appointed Jorge Maciel as first-team coach. A former assistant at LOSC Lille, this was his first experience as head coach.

"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Christophe has already answered some of your questions!

It's an honour to answer your questions!

- 1st question:
Old stadium: 16,547 seats
New stadium: 25,172 seats

----------------------------------

- 2nd question:
See photo below:

- 3rd / 4th question:

VAFC have rented the stadium since it was built and the rent depends on the division in which the club plays (the rent is flexible).

Regarding the cost of building the stadium, initially it was 75 million euros, but in the end it cost around 100 million euros, the fault of the neighbours who had the work stopped for 1 year because they were afraid of the noise pollution.

The payment is public/private, with one part paid by Valenciennes Metropole and the other by the construction company.

Capture01.PNG

42 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

It's an honour to answer your questions!

- 1st question:
Old stadium: 16,547 seats
New stadium: 25,172 seats

- 2nd question:
See photo below:

- 3rd / 4th question:

VAFC have rented the stadium since it was built and the rent depends on the division in which the club plays (the rent is flexible).

Regarding the cost of building the stadium, initially it was 75 million euros, but in the end it cost around 100 million euros, the fault of the neighbours who had the work stopped for 1 year because they were afraid of the noise pollution.

The payment is public/private, with one part paid by Valenciennes Metropole and the other by the construction company.

Capture01.PNG

Thank you.
Looking at the cost of stadia nowadays puts our £32m cost for a 32k  capacity new build into some sort of perspective.
Of course building costs have increased significantly in the last 20 years but I dont think the club actually paid the full amount as we went into admin owing Aviva a chunk of money as I recollect.
I guess this is one of the few deals that Rupert Lowe did that actually helped the club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Thank you.
Looking at the cost of stadia nowadays puts our £32m cost for a 32k  capacity new build into some sort of perspective.
Of course building costs have increased significantly in the last 20 years but I dont think the club actually paid the full amount as we went into admin owing Aviva a chunk of money as I recollect.
I guess this is one of the few deals that Rupert Lowe did that actually helped the club.

There are a few differences, as you so rightly say.

Our two clubs both have beautiful stadiums that deserve to be filled.

In fact, I'll have the honour of coming to the Saint Mary Stadium in 2 months' time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

The French version of Wikipedia:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valenciennes_Football_Club

"Purchase by Sport Republic (2023-)

After the club held on to its title at the last minute on the final day of the season, rumours of a sale resurfaced. On 16 June 2023, the management published a press release announcing that "the club's majority shareholders had entered into exclusive negotiations with Sport Republic, a London-based sports investment company and majority shareholder in English football club Southampton FC and Turkish football club Göztepe SK, with a view to investing in the club's economic and sporting development "64. On 13 July 2023, following two general meetings, the sale of the club was completed. To embody their plans, the new directors appointed Jorge Maciel as first-team coach. A former assistant at LOSC Lille, this was his first experience as head coach.

"

I read that and thought somebody should add it...so I did!

On 25/01/2024 at 05:22, ChristopheVAFC said:

Yes, my stadium has 25,172 seats, it hasn't been full very often and the fact that the sporting results don't follow suit doesn't bring people to the stadium...

I think that when we have better results, and we're playing at the top of the table, we'll have more people at the stadium.

20220827_195617.jpg

Nice stadium. At this rate you will have more supporters in Southampton😇. I like this multi club set up. I keep an eye on Goztepe results. Last I heard SR was after an Irish Club originally it was going to be Bohemians.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, manji said:

Nice stadium. At this rate you will have more supporters in Southampton😇. I like this multi club set up. I keep an eye on Goztepe results. Last I heard SR was after an Irish Club originally it was going to be Bohemians.

Last thing I read (was ages ago) was that they were looking at Shelbourne - Damien Duff is the head coach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manji said:

Thank you very much, it's true that we have a beautiful stadium, and yours is great too!

We're nowhere near as full as you are at the moment, but it's a good thing. Winning games in it isn't bad haha

• Like 1

Thank you all for your many messages!

I hope tonight marks the start of a long fight to keep my club in the second division.

It's going to be a long battle, and we're going to have to keep fighting until the very last second of the season.

• Like 3