Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

7 hours ago, trousers said:

Reminds me of my favourite Bernhard Manning 'joke'...

"Take my wife.... No, please, take my wife...." 

(One for the forum youngsters there)

P.s. that only works if you say it in a Bernhard Manning accent. (I'm a right hoot down the pub btw)

Or, even better, Henny Youngman. 

Wow, what a feeling at the end. It was delirious to get a last minute winner from Flynn 🙂 who was absolutely immense yesterday - my MOTM. We made such a fast start with Arma setting up Will for the header 🙂 and then Che grabbing the second from Brooks pullback 🙂 really annoying that we were pegged back level before our late winner. Something that we will have to work on and is that being more cohesive as a defensive unit. Looking forward to Tuesday another home game to close the gap even further to four points - COYR 🙂

Edited by davefizzy14

14 hours ago, saintstowin said:

Why then did we play any dead ball (GKs, FKs) within 1 second of them being awarded? And then the shortest pass possible. It's like game management is banned. It wasn't that it was quick because someone saw a great out ball. Most times the receiver didn't know who to pass to next. 

I've thought many times this season our lack of thought and/or risk taking near our own goal versus the other end of the pitch is weirdly skewed.

It's odd isn't it. I've seen plenty of quickly taken free kicks which are effective, going back to Terry Paine (!) but none recently. We've a few effective long passers too.

The other thought occurred to me when I saw Fraser standing next to Bednarek. Would it not be more effective for Fraser to stay up for defensive corners, thus occupying probably two defenders. He's a strong player but goodness, he's not there in the box for height or for aerial prowess.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

It's odd isn't it. I've seen plenty of quickly taken free kicks which are effective, going back to Terry Paine (!) but none recently. We've a few effective long passers too.

The other thought occurred to me when I saw Fraser standing next to Bednarek. Would it not be more effective for Fraser to stay up for defensive corners, thus occupying probably two defenders. He's a strong player but goodness, he's not there in the box for height or for aerial prowess.

I totally agree on leaving Fraser or another player upfield for defensive corners. I suspect the stats show that teams concede less goals from corners with all ten outfield players back.

• Like 2

I’m glad I made the 440 mile round trip at the weekend, that 99th minute winner was worth it! Absolute limbs and my voice was ruined until today. Agree we only played well for 30 mins and didn’t deserve the win over the course of the game. Poetic justice if it was a handball (not 100% clear on replays) given their Doucoure goal in 2018 and their late equaliser earlier this season. 

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 09:30, saintant said:

I suspect the stats show that teams concede less goals from corners with all ten outfield players back.

I'm sure you're right otherwise more teams would do it, but it would be amusing occasionally just to see the confusion in the defenders up for a corner as to who had to get back to cover..