Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

Games coming thick and fast, need to keep this winning momentum going. Midweek results make our recent dropped points really hit home but all we can do now is keep winning and see where that takes us. 

Watford haven’t lost in 5 games now and have solid draws against Leeds, WBA and Ipswich. This won’t be any easy game. 

Looking forward to travelling down from up north to watch this one. 2-1 Saints.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew Watson said:

Appear to be playing for Cleverly,some thing they were very reluctant to do for Ismael. Must win and very winnable if we approach the game in thr right way and play the right side.

Which you know we will not… that’s way too obvious. 

21 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I am intrigued where captain fantastic fits in for this one.

Wherever he wants?

We seem to be good at stopping teams on a run in their tracks so I'm going for 3-1. Che's banjo has tasted the sweet kiss of a cow's arse and now it wants more.

• Haha 6

Just now, east-stand-nic said:

Frustrating as we will probably go and win this and it will make no difference to the final season outcome as we are nailed on playoffs.

Nailed on playoff losers 😂 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

I have a weird feeling we're about to embark on another magnificent run which will see us either win all of our remaining games and snatch 2nd place, or be victorious in the play offs. 

Stranger things have happened. If Ipswich and Leeds (which is possible) continue to fluff their lines then that final game of the season at Elland Road could be seriously intense.

If we did somehow manage to win every single game from here on out then it would be a serious achievement.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Stranger things have happened. If Ipswich and Leeds (which is possible) continue to fluff their lines then that final game of the season at Elland Road could be seriously intense.

If we did somehow manage to win every single game from here on out then it would be a serious achievement.

I wouldn't put too much thought into that scenario, Tuesdays result v Coventry was good but far from convincing and I haven't seen anything that's made me think this side is about to go on a 7 game winning run. 

Watford looked very well organised in recent games and are set up in such a way that i think we'll struggle to break them down, think this will be more like last weekends performance at Blackburn. 

Leicester and Leeds play before we do, so if by some miracle both of them slip up again I expect hopes to rise pre-match just in time to be dashed again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Manning and Stephens both start; Bednarek remains on the bench; Bree joins him; we keep a clean sheet; Downes rested; Smallone at 6; Shea starts; Big Joe plays only one half; Brooks, Sulemana and Edozie have plenty of end product; Sully scores; Adams scores with his left (no, not foot, be realistic) arm; we get a penalty and, with both Armstrongs off the field, Bazunu fires it into the top right corner; he saves Watford’s penalty after THB punches their CF; we win 3:0; the top three drop more points; we play with real pace going forwards at least three times in each half; I am glad; all in front of four faces from our recent past (do Prado, Rickie, Nigel and Kevin -think about it -); RM is speechless in the after-match interview.  

At my age any fuck is a glad fuck, not a sad one.

I wake up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Manning and Stephens both start; Bednarek remains on the bench; Bree joins him; we keep a clean sheet; Downes rested; Smallone at 6; Shea starts; Big Joe plays only one half; Brooks, Sulemana and Edozie have plenty of end product; Sully scores; Adams scores with his left (no, not foot, be realistic) arm; we get a penalty and, with both Armstrongs off the field, Bazunu fires it into the top right corner; he saves Watford’s penalty after THB punches their CF; we win 3:0; the top three drop more points; we play with real pace going forwards at least three times in each half; I am glad; all in front of four faces from our recent past (do Prado, Rickie, Nigel and Kevin -think about it -); RM is speechless in the after-match interview.  

At my age any fuck is a glad fuck, not a sad one.

I wake up.

All very good, but you missed the most crucial bit that we all want to know; exactly how brave were we?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Bednarek should be fit ,so who is going to make way ?

KWP

bree deserves to play, THB, Janny B central and super Jack returning to his hybrid left back come centre midfield come playmaker, striker all round mix of Roberto Carlos, Maldini, Roy Keane, Louis Figo and Thierry Henry rolled into one player 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

I have a weird feeling we're about to embark on another magnificent run which will see us either win all of our remaining games and snatch 2nd place, or be victorious in the play offs. 

I think we'll go on a glorious run which will see us finish third narrowly missing out on 2nd by a point then losing on penalties in the play off semi final after losing at home to a controversial decision then winning the away leg but everyone blaming our bad luck and the anti saints agenda for us not going up 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think we'll go on a glorious run which will see us finish third narrowly missing out on 2nd by a point then losing on penalties in the play off semi final after losing at home to a controversial decision then winning the away leg but everyone blaming our bad luck and the anti saints agenda for us not going up 

That’s the spirit ……Though sadly very likely to happen 

11 hours ago, notnowcato said:

You’re so unpredictable 

But who's more predictable? Those that are predicatable in the first place or those that keep responding to those that are predictable....? ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 3

Just now, trousers said:

But who's more predictable? Those that are predicatable in the first place or those that respond to those that are predictable....? ;)

I knew this would happen.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

plus billy davies will target our best player in the first game of the play off semi's, injuring him so he can't take part in the second and taking the advantage away from us. Once we've lost on penalties we will have to leave the ground into a biblical downpour, but fear not next season the Saints will go WILDE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, musesaint said:

That’s the spirit ……Though sadly very likely to happen 

‘MLG mode on’

It’s very likely not to happen, as if we finish 3rd we’ll be playing at home second leg.

’MLG mode off’

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

KWP

bree deserves to play, THB, Janny B central and super Jack returning to his hybrid left back come centre midfield come playmaker, striker all round mix of Roberto Carlos, Maldini, Roy Keane, Louis Figo and Thierry Henry rolled into one player 

You missed out Makelele 

Looks like a sell out tbh. Left it quite late to book tickets and most blocks are down to only a smattering of single seats available. Should be a good atmosphere. Personally think we'll win this one.

Dream to be well and truly on, or dashed, vs Leicester i reckon. If we win every game we've got every chance of getting 2nd even now... Although we would need someone like West Brom to beat leciester.

Edited by Saint86

Prezzer, pre Watford Home

• It was clear what was good after Tuesday
  • It was about energy and running, I hope Blackburn was a one-off
  • Ipswich and Boro were not about effort, Blackburn was and we cannot see that again
  • Cleverley has done a brilliant job, I have been in his position
  • They play with freedom and with energy, they are really playing for Tom
  • They have freedom with their place in the table, and they seem relaxed
  • I hope Tom is enjoying it, they play like they are enjoying it
  • The fight for each other, but we are at home
  • we have to make the game about us regardless who we play
  • It is a different game to the previous games against them, it will be tough
  • Ipswich struggled against them, so we must focus on ourselves
  • I have selection headaches, as everyone on the bench could and should be playing
  • It is a brilliant problem and it is not easy, it is part of the job to tell players they are not playing
  • If you are out of the squad, they know they are not far away, Charles proves that
  • Ryan Manning is a player I love, he has been brilliant at times, but not in others
  • Ryan may be on the bench tomorrow, or he may play, we will see
  • Same with Jan and Stuey, they respect it and force their way back in and help their team mates
  • We always pick the players for the best of the team, no players play all 46 games, at 8/10
  • Everyone is available as before, Juan and Ross training. Ross may impact at some point, and Juan will be ready for pre season
  • Alfie House has a 4/10 new hair cut
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

• Ipswich and Boro were not about effort, Blackburn was and we cannot see that again
  • I have selection headaches, as everyone on the bench could and should be playing
  • It is a brilliant problem and it is not easy, it is part of the job to tell players they are not playing
  • If you are out of the squad, they know they are not far away, Charles proves that
  • Ryan Manning is a player I love, he has been brilliant at times, but not in others
  • Same with Jan and Stuey, they respect it and force their way back in and help their team mates
  • We always pick the players for the best of the team, no players play all 46 games, at 8/10
  • Everyone is available as before, Juan and Ross training. Ross may impact at some point, and Juan will be ready for pre season

Bednarek been downgraded from Janny B to Jan, oh dear.

• Haha 3

We’ll go in 1-0 up at half-time having dominated the ball, played them off the park and missed several gilt-edged opportunities to put the match to bed and get out of sight. They’ll come out for the second half and equalise against the run of play with their first shot of the match. People will ask if Baz should have done better for the goal. We’ll continue to play at walking pace, dominating the ball in the middle third of the pitch while they sit and comfortably soak it up with two banks of four. Nothing will happen until the 75th minute as Watford settle for a point. Russ will then make four subs, moving Adam Armstrong to CF and replacing the wide players with Mara and Sully. None of them will do anything and then we’ll get done 2-1 in the 95th minute by Watford’s second shot on target*. People will ask if Baz should have done better for the goal. In his post-match interview Russ will say we deserved to win but he’s pleased with how we played and we showed great bravery and we now really really have to win all our remaining games and oh god shoot me 

(*a scuffer from Wesley Hoedt) 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

End of season games with nothing to play for are really hard to call . 

We should win if we were firing on all cylinders but this could quite easily be a draw . Can’t really see us losing but then again I thought that against Millwall. 

Bazunu 

KWP - Bednarek - THB - Bree

Downes

S.Armstrong - Aribo 

A.Armstrong - Edozie

Adams 

Subs: Lumley, Manning, Stephens, Smallbone, Rothwell, Brooks, Fraser, Amo-Ameyaw, Dibling

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Looks like a sell out tbh. Left it quite late to book tickets and most blocks are down to only a smattering of single seats available. Should be a good atmosphere. Personally think we'll win this one.

Dream to be well and truly on, or dashed, vs Leicester i reckon. If we win every game we've got every chance of getting 2nd even now... Although we would need someone like West Brom to beat leciester.

About 380 home end tickets left including some in block 43 as Watford only given 2000 allocation. Should sell out by kick off easily, good numbers. 

Watford only sold 1,750 so will be a few empty in their end, block 44. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Manning is going to start and Super duper Jack is a shoe in and will "roam" and we will continue to be open down the flanks.

But we will have 70%+ possession and everything else is irrelevant 

5 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Manning is going to start and Super duper Jack is a shoe in and will "roam" and we will continue to be open down the flanks.

But we will have 70%+ possession and everything else is irrelevant 

why does JB have to force his way back in ? didn’t do anything wrong and was part of a very successful and settled back four 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic