Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

Well I was going tomorrow but my daughter has just gone into labour, bit rude but apparently a cork doesn’t work. I’m going to be a grandad lads. My boy will still be there with a mate. Coyr  

• Like 26

28 minutes ago, saintnick said:

Well I was going tomorrow but my daughter has just gone into labour, bit rude but apparently a cork doesn’t work. I’m going to be a grandad lads. My boy will still be there with a mate. Coyr  

Congratulations and good luck to your daughter!

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, saintnick said:

Are you delivering the baby? No? 

Could still go to the game then, really ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 years ago today we beat Watford 2-1 in the FA Cup semi final to go on to another heroic failure losing to Arsenal in the 2003 FA cup final. Will we see a repeat today of victory followed by the standard heroic failure to be successful like we have so many other times in our history?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, saintnick said:

Best wishes to your family.

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

20 years ago today we beat Watford 2-1 in the FA Cup semi final to go on to another heroic failure losing to Arsenal in the 2003 FA cup final. Will we see a repeat today of victory followed by the standard heroic failure to be successful like we have so many other times in our history?

21 years ago ... ouch .... Great day though

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I really hope Leicester continue to bottle it, the cheating pricks. 

Today would be a fantastic time to put a marker down and smash Watford. Are we capable of it? 

We're certainly capable. We were capable of getting 6 points against Boro and Blackburn, too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Was that at Villa Park? Brett Ormerod scored? I was very drunk but I think I remember it 😆

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, saintnick said:

False alarm so I’ve been given a pass by the boss to go to the game.. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, madge said:

Martin is a knob if he’s picking Stephens ahead of bednarek. Bednarek and THB been solid most of the season until Stephen’s came back into the fold. 

I love Russ but there's absolutely no justification for Stephens ahead of Bednarek tactically. Janny B is appalling in the PL but in this league he's rock solid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watford will be very physically strong and very quick on the break, but if we play well with the ball I think we'll be able to break them down and wear their resolve.  Really need to be more than a goal up heading into the last 10 though because there are issues that will take Martin more than a season to resolve on that front.

15 hours ago, madge said:

Martin is a knob if he’s picking Stephens ahead of bednarek. Bednarek and THB been solid most of the season until Stephen’s came back into the fold. 

He explained it, took a knock not 100%.

Agree JB better than JS but not if JS fitness is better, and want JB for play offs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, saintnick said:

Women can be a little selfish at times, congratulations, it's gonna be 6 0 you're missing.

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

What’s the team?

Southampton team

Starting XI: Bazunu, Bree, Harwood-Bellis, Stephens (captain), Walker-Peters, Downes, Smallbone, Aribo, A Armstrong, Adams, Brooks.

Substitutes: Lumley, Manning, Bednarek, Rothwell, S Armstrong, Fraser, Edozie, Kamaldeen, Mara.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Got off the coach,asked where the best pub was,got ‘enticed’ to a local beer and cider ‘festival ’it was a great pub…..absolutely fucked within 2 hours.rancid cider.  
met up outside the ground.no idea how I got there. Watford fans looked after me.got in. Felt like shit but celebrated the Omerod goal. Fell over on the concourse. Coach home. 
best day ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well SA has been looking weary so an appearance from the bench seems reasonable against a physical Watford side. Maybe Bednarek is still not 100%? I certainly don't know but if it keeps a few posters happy that they can trot out their glib 'shoehorn' cliché then look on it as care in the community..

• Like 1

What's with all this "shoehorn" nonsense? 

RM gets moaned at for changing his teams, and now gets moaned at for not changing a back 4 which won on Tuesday. 

Miserable fuckers. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

You didn’t watch the Coventry game then?  

To be fair, no I didn't. Rare good day? If it was, I'd imagine that the inconsistency must frustrate RM. We need to be able to rely on players at this stage of the season. 

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Charles has had plenty of opportunities this season hasn't he, just has been pretty poor overall, sadly

I thinks that’s a bit unfair.  He hasn’t had much opportunity in his best position and shouldn’t be judged as a right-back or centre-back.  If Downes is struggling today Martin would rather put Bednarek on and push  Stephens into midfield, than play Charles there.  Fucking madness.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

To be fair, no I didn't. Rare good day? If it was, I'd imagine that the inconsistency must frustrate RM. We need to be able to rely on players at this stage of the season. 

Fair comment, but by the same token, Jack Stephens?

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Charles has had plenty of opportunities this season hasn't he, just has been pretty poor overall, sadly

I thought he did ok the other night. More importantly he's the only other DM we have. So if Downes gets injured we wind up with a very lightweight midfield as you're either bringing on Stu or Rothwell. With 9 subs you should be confident of covering every position.

Subs include Stuart Armstrong (AM), Joe Rothwell (AM), Sam Edozie (AM), Ryan Fraser (AM), Kalameen Sulemana (AM). There is not way all of them are going to get on the pitch in any sane universe. 

Also, none of our promising kids on the bench which is a backwards step from earlier in the season.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 2

Just now, coalman said:

I thought he did ok the other night. More importantly he's the only other DM we have. So if Downes gets injured we wind up with a very lightweight midfield as you're either bring on Stu or Rothwell. With 9 subs you should be confident of covering every position.

Subs include Stuart Armstrong (AM), Joe Rothwell (AM), Sam Edozie (AM), Ryan Fraser (AM), Kalameen Sulemana (AM). There is not way all of them are going to get on the pitch in any sane universe. 

Also, none of our promising kids on the bench which is a backwards step from earlier in the season.

fair points

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fair comment, but by the same token, Jack Stephens?

I'm not a Stephens knocker and I think a lot of people are jumping on a bandwagon.

Walker-Peters / Che's goal wouldn't have happened without him. Bednarek wouldn't have been in that position and played that ball. I wouldn't play him at full back, but I'd play him at CB. We need strong leadership on the pitch and he gives that. 

• Like 2

Well all I know is this.

Its getting near the end of the season and players want to up their chances of finding new clubs.

In other related news che adams "scored" 2 goals last game so am expecting another 1 today.

2-0 saints

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Well all I know is this.

Its getting near the end of the season and players want to up their chances of finding new clubs.

In other related news che adams "scored" 2 goals last game so am expecting another 1 today.

2-0 saints

banjo GIF

Every time I make a banjo joke Che scores*.

* scores includes the ball going in after bouncing off some body part

Edited by coalman

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic