Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

Still going to be the playoffs but this could be interesting, especially at Leeds on the last day, IF we can keep winning that is. 

I cannot work out if it is back in our hands or not, because we have to play Leeds and Leicester. 

I want a credit from russ for that win.  I switched off in a sulk after another shit attempt with 2 mins left and was already going to my coping mechanism beer.

Missed the goal but Downes is epic as normal but a goal this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FT. A win is a win and that is all that matters.

Brilliant for the first 30 mins, meh for much of the rest, with bit of being terrible in possession.

Win against Preston and it will keep everyone honest.

We cannot continue to ship goals like this though

• Like 6

Martin nearly lost us that game.. some of those substitutions were terrible. He made changes that were not needed and Stephen’s into midfield.. anyway we won ..

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

A good win ruined by the match day DJ playing dog shit music 😂

Couldn't have argued with a defeat after they played Kaiser Chiefs at half time

• Haha 1

The entertainment this season has been incredible - not of all it the right enjoyable mind - and absolutely love the Championship.

We got soooooo lucky with that win but they did keep going until the end despite playing very poorly.  Perhaps Bednarek should play in midfield instead of Jack.  He got us going again at the end.

Stephens was superb today but Downes the pick of the bunch by a long way.

Very, very strange subs from Martin.

• Like 5

I’m glad we’ve won. But it’s so so so frustrating. So much ideology about controlled possession and passing football. We have 30mins of control (possession surrendered by the opposition) then they start to “come into the game” Then we stop creating chances and start giving the ball away just before the halfway line after 3/4 passes around our back line. They miss a couple, then we concede. Half time. More of the same. Some subs. Slight uptick of possession but no real chances. They keep missing half chances from us needlessly gifting away the ball. They score. More subs. Less control and no real chances. Then the game descends into end to end chaos. Maybe we score a late winner maybe they do. It’s so fucking frustrating. 

anyway we won today. Yay. 

• Like 6

Credit to watford today, they like other teams who press us show that we are not as calm on the ball as people think we are.

Press us and we become sloppy.

When we have a high pressing team we cant have the likes or Aribo or S Armstrong (not that he did it today) dribbling out of the box etc, those midfielders need to be further away.

• Like 4

What a ride. And mostly not in a good way after we went 2-0 up until right at the end.

Please please please

- Play Bednarek and THB in central defence

- Have a DM on the bench

- Play Fraser/Edozie over Brooks

- Never play Jack Stephens in a holding midfield role ever again

Have to say Manning added something when he came on. Aribo and Downes should be the first two names in midfield. Stu is having a rough patch. Che is lethal from a yard. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Credit to watford today, they like other teams who press us show that we are not as calm on the ball as people think we are.

Press us and we become sloppy.

When we have a high pressing team we cant have the likes or Aribo or S Armstrong (not that he did it today) dribbling out of the box etc, those midfielders need to be further away.

I thought they pressed intelligently too. They didn't go after the player with the ball - they chased after the obvious pass from that player.

• Like 4

watching large parts of that 2nd half you would have been confused about which side were higher in the league. At least the dream is still alive. Roll on Preston.

Our stamina always seems so lacking. Thought the whole possession ethos was that you wore the other team out.

Was Charles injured or just back out of favour? The whole lack of DCM on the bench and then moving stephens from where he was playing well to midfield just stunk to high heaven.

• Like 3

Lesson learned . 

1 never put Stephens in midfield.  Didn't have a clue about tracking the runner.

2 there is no point in having 3 wingers on rhe bench, there are only 2 wings ro play them on.  Put Charles there instead , then you can avoid lesson 1.

We were poor for the last hour. Need to freshen up a bit for Tuesday.  Sa for aribo, rest Brooks.  Give edozie or Sulemana a start az Fraser has been poor lately.

• Like 4

Well, we didn't do that easy.

But 3 points is 3 points. Especially with Leicester and Leeds losing, and Ipswich drawing.

And i like the 'lest tell the ref Downes used his hands' bit for longer than the extra time.

Got to, got to, got to stop getting complacent and miss-passing the ball when we are only 1 goal up.

Still, colour me happy.  Who knows what the next few games will bring.

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

In EVERY area? 

You're lying. Because he's not. There's a few areas where Bazunu is the worst. 

And yes, Allardyce being the best with a sample size of what, one or two games? Compared to two fulls seasons for Bazunu.

Before or after the Plymouth game last week and he was 24th for ever single thing.

I only caught the second half. So, presumably missed the bit where we dominated and created.

Second half was a mixed bag. We had some lovely passing moves. But, we didn;t create much from it. We look to be trying to be a bit more solid. But it only seems to be reducing our chances on goal, while our opponents get more.

There's no one surprised to see us give up a lead. one goal, two goals... Under this system, we don;t seem to be able to contain. it's set up that we don't capitalise on momentum. When we attack at the pace we do, opponents have lots of time to reset. When they attack, we've often got our full backs inverted, leaving space and player out of postion elsewhere.

Yet in there, you can see what we're trying. We had a goal ruled offside. But we don't have the tempo to create chances like that more often. We don;t dominate *and* shift teams about the way we had been doing either.

We did have good spells, but the subs seemed to weaken us. Particularly the more of them Martin made. Stu had a couple of nice moments, but didn;t shore us up, as Aribo had. Fraser was a decent switch for Brooks. Manning (assist!) is like for like with Bree, but a bit more open defensively. I don;t recall Mara getting a touch. 

But we worked right to the end, and the winner was well earned for their efforts.

Martin is trying a number of things. We're starting well, but after all these games still struggle to maintain enough control (not possession) of games, creating stradily throughout, to keep opponents from gettign back into it.

Martin and the team will take a lot of strength from the 3 points, closing the gap on the teams around us. Even if it will take quite a feat to get back into the top 2.

• Like 4

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I only caught the second half. So, presumably missed the bit where we dominated and created.

Second half was a mixed bag. We had some lovely passing moves. But, we didn;t create much from it. We look to be trying to be a bit more solid. But it only seems to be reducing our chances on goal, while our opponents get more.

There's no one surprised to see us give up a lead. one goal, two goals... Under this system, we don;t seem to be able to contain. it's set up that we don't capitalise on momentum. When we attack at the pace we do, opponents have lots of time to reset. When they attack, we've often got our full backs inverted, leaving space and player out of postion elsewhere.

Yet in there, you can see what we're trying. We had a goal ruled offside. But we don't have the tempo to create chances like that more often. We don;t dominate *and* shift teams about the way we had been doing either.

We did have good spells, but the subs seemed to weaken us. Particularly the more of them Martin made. Stu had a couple of nice moments, but didn;t shore us up, as Aribo had. Fraser was a decent switch for Brooks. Manning (assist!) is like for like with Bree, but a bit more open defensively. I don;t recall Mara getting a touch. 

But we worked right to the end, and the winner was well earned for their efforts.

Martin is trying a number of things. We're starting well, but after all these games still struggle to maintain enough control (not possession) of games, creating stradily throughout, to keep opponents from gettign back into it.

Martin and the team will take a lot of strength from the 3 points, closing the gap on the teams around us. Even if it will take quite a feat to get back into the top 2.

couldn't invest the time to read all that so my Ai assistant summarised it for others.

"The second half was a mixed bag with some lovely passing moves, but we didn't create much from it. We seem to be trying to be more solid, but it's reducing our chances on goal while our opponents get more. We struggle to contain and capitalize on momentum under this system. Our attacking pace gives opponents time to reset, and our full backs often leave space and players out of position. We had good spells and a goal ruled offside, but we lack the tempo to create chances more often. The subs weakened us, and Martin is trying different things to maintain control of games. The team will take strength from the 3 points earned and closing the gap on the teams around us."

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

couldn't invest the time to read all that so my Ai assistant summarised it for others.

"The second half was a mixed bag with some lovely passing moves, but we didn't create much from it. We seem to be trying to be more solid, but it's reducing our chances on goal while our opponents get more. We struggle to contain and capitalize on momentum under this system. Our attacking pace gives opponents time to reset, and our full backs often leave space and players out of position. We had good spells and a goal ruled offside, but we lack the tempo to create chances more often. The subs weakened us, and Martin is trying different things to maintain control of games. The team will take strength from the 3 points earned and closing the gap on the teams around us."

Hmmmm...

How come your AI is better with the summary, than my AI was in writing it in the first place?

Right ...

Winning iz gud!
We can still go up!

There. I think that captures everything. 🙂 

• Haha 1

We are still just about in the chase for automatics so it's going to be exciting. If we were totally outplaying sides I'd be a bit more confident about our chances but, with how we are scraping wins, it seems likely we'll not quite get over the line but at least it keeps the interest alive for another few games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Fella and his annoying kid next to me left on 95 minutes "seen enough". 

My Grandfather left Saints V Norwich early in about 1973, and I was sitting with him, and had to leave with him

missed a Paul Gilchrist equaliser.

Suffice to say, I haven’t left a game early since that time, other than two which were well and truly over.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic