Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

17 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

I’m glad we’ve won. But it’s so so so frustrating. So much ideology about controlled possession and passing football. We have 30mins of control (possession surrendered by the opposition) then they start to “come into the game” Then we stop creating chances and start giving the ball away just before the halfway line after 3/4 passes around our back line. They miss a couple, then we concede. Half time. More of the same. Some subs. Slight uptick of possession but no real chances. They keep missing half chances from us needlessly gifting away the ball. They score. More subs. Less control and no real chances. Then the game descends into end to end chaos. Maybe we score a late winner maybe they do. It’s so fucking frustrating. 

anyway we won today. Yay. 

that’s a great post - sums it’s up. 

last time we properly controlled a game was WBA but as you say we won and we are back in it if we beat preston on tuesday 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Lesson learned . 

1 never put Stephens in midfield.  Didn't have a clue about tracking the runner.

2 there is no point in having 3 wingers on rhe bench, there are only 2 wings ro play them on.  Put Charles there instead , then you can avoid lesson 1.

We were poor for the last hour. Need to freshen up a bit for Tuesday.  Sa for aribo, rest Brooks.  Give edozie or Sulemana a start az Fraser has been poor lately.

Totally agree, however how do you know that a lesson HAS been learnt ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Lesson learned . 

1 never put Stephens in midfield.  Didn't have a clue about tracking the runner.

2 there is no point in having 3 wingers on rhe bench, there are only 2 wings ro play them on.  Put Charles there instead , then you can avoid lesson 1.

We were poor for the last hour. Need to freshen up a bit for Tuesday.  Sa for aribo, rest Brooks.  Give edozie or Sulemana a start az Fraser has been poor lately.

Prepared to bet A LOT of money that neither of those lessons have been learned.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, madge said:

Martin nearly lost us that game.. some of those substitutions were terrible. He made changes that were not needed and Stephen’s into midfield.. anyway we won ..

He makes changes like this all the time when not needed. So frustrating changing for change sake. 

• Like 4

Got the job done.  3 points is 3 points. You make your own luck in this game.  Onwards and upwards.  Preston is now the most important game of the season.  

Any clichés I've forgotten? 

17 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Best scenes at SMS for a good while. We’ve gotta get Leeds tickets now ffs

Waiting until after Tuesdays game to decide on that, still think we'll drop too many points before then. 

Great scenes though, quite a few had left before goal went in to beat the traffic, madness. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fella and his annoying kid next to me left on 95 minutes "seen enough". 

I do not understand this mentality, especially with the late goals that seemed to be scored every week. Why would you risk missing that? 🤷🏽 nothing queer as folk. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Got the job done.  3 points is 3 points. You make your own luck in this game.  Onwards and upwards.  Preston is now the most important game of the season.  

Any clichés I've forgotten? 

Don’t get too high when we win, or too low when we lose.

Always prepare for the unexpected- Sun Tzu, Art of War.

It’s as simple as that.

Adkins knew how to motivate a promotion winning squad ( or keep the supporters motivated and positive at least). 

Anyway I’ll draw a blue line under this and celebrate three points to cement our eventual third or fourth place finish. Perhaps dream of automatics. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Waiting until after Tuesdays game to decide on that, still think we'll drop too many points before then. 

Great scenes though, quite a few had left before goal went in to beat the traffic, madness. 

I don’t think we will drop anymore points before Tuesday, we are not Everton! 

• Haha 6

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Buzzing we won but fucking hell, was Fraser off? Needs a weeks wages docked if so

He could easily have dropped the pace a bit to get back onside, so yeah, poor from him. It was tight when the ball was played, though. Nevertheless, what a finish!

2 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

He could easily have dropped the pace a bit to get back onside, so yeah, poor from him. It was tight when the ball was played, though. Nevertheless, what a finish!

He was level I think 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Nope - Many don't rate Manning, Rothwell or Adam's but the level of personal comments Baz gets as opposed to them lot is ridiculous. It seems almost personal with him.

I can only assume it's because he played for Pompey.

Do you ever go to a match. The support for Bazunu is far more than his performances deserve. 

• Like 1

The scenes after that winning goal were epic, never seen anything like it at SMS! Still don't think we'll get top 2 but if you can't enjoy moments like that then football's not for you. Keeps the season alive, what a crazy league this is!

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

The scenes after that winning goal were epic, never seen anything like it at SMS! Still don't think we'll get top 2 but if you can't enjoy moments like that then football's not for you. Keeps the season alive, what a crazy league this is!

Abso-fucking-lutely. Nothing in football beats the feeling of SMS rocking to the foundations. Mental stuff, love it.

• Like 2

Mixed emotions after. Great to win it with the last kick of the game but boy we were miserable for lots of that game.

A repeat of so many games where we lose momentum and then invite the oppo to attack us. All of a sudden we look heavy legged and vulnerable to quick attacks. Jack S seems to be a few seconds behind play and spends a lot of time watching play go past him.

In the hunt still so good outcome.

• Like 1

Found a way to win today, when the performance didn’t deserve it, which is exactly what Ipswich done against us a few weeks back, so I’m chuffed, because up until the winner, it felt like we were finding a way to bloody lose it!

the result is obviously hugely more important than the performance at this stage of the season, so let’s keep the focus on the positives, 5 more wins and we’re promoted automatically in my opinion. 

the way we won might be the most significant thing about today, the results going our way, the last minute winner… the squad will feel the momentum swinging in our favour.

freshen the squad up for Tuesday. Brooks, Stephens, aribo and Adam Armstrong all need rests. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I don’t think we will drop anymore points before Tuesday, we are not Everton! 

Yeah I meant drop points before we play Leeds , still tempted to buy a Leeds ticket in case it does somehow come down to that game although still unlikely. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Yeah I meant drop points before we play Leeds , still tempted to buy a Leeds ticket in case it does somehow come down to that game although still unlikely. 

I still cannot see it coming down to that game. Maybe Leeds up, maybe Leeds in the playoffs already, with us. We will screw something up as we have tried in the last 2 home games from 2-0 up, but to be fair we managed to win, unlike all the others up there who are getting the jitters. 

Cannot see us winning at Leicester and Leeds, but you never know do ya 

Jammy buggers, they didn't deserve to win today but they did and we all came home happy. Paper over the cracks and go again!

Why the clown started Brooks again is beyond me but at least the penny had dropped by half time. Aribo has no stamina, he was blowing like a knackered race horse after thirty minutes.

Great to see Jan back, hopefully we won't have to watch Jack trying to look brave and intelligent for much longer.

• Confused 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-2 Watford - Match Thread
19 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Have you forgotten already the Adkins years? 😂

I don’t think I’ve gone that nuts at a goal since Gabbiadini equalised in the cup final. Absolute limbs, although truth be told it was far more than we deserved from that second half performance. I still don’t think we’ll trouble the top two but the weekend’s results will be more than a little laxative for the three above us.

• Haha 1

Not sure I understood taking Aribo off. He was doing OK. I though Smallbone was the one that should have bene replaced. Stu came on and was fucking terrible. I'd of subbed the sub. Not having Charles on the bench or a defensive midfielder RM trusts to bring on is a problem. The Watford player waltzed past Stephens who looked like he was running in treacle. 

Thought KWP started brilliantly. I texted a pal that he was far too good for the championship, after which he looked terrible. He was not helped by not being helped. There are times when its two vs one and we are crying out for a right midfielder to sit in front of him and track the overlap etc.  Playing 4-3-3 is great from an attacking sense, but its an issue for us defensively.

Last thing. I will never bother with the £20 tickets in the chapel again. The number of kids screaming nonsense did my head in. Loved the enthusiasm, but hated the high pitch drivel.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Jammy buggers, they didn't deserve to win today but they did and we all came home happy. Paper over the cracks and go again!

Why the clown started Brooks again is beyond me but at least the penny had dropped by half time. Aribo has no stamina, he was blowing like a knackered race horse after thirty minutes.

Great to see Jan back, hopefully we won't have to watch Jack trying to look brave and intelligent for much longer.

Wow. 
So our Captain Jack is cowardly and stupid. Our Nigerian International fan favourite and one of our best players recently Aribo has no legs and Brookes  is just shit. 

Forgive me, but when I need advice about our footballers please don’t bother to apply. Your opinions are ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

See hoedt is saying there should have been a red card. I think he’s referring to when their defender Porteous was knocked down, did anyone see what actually  occurred?

It did look like Mara swung an arm at him as he ran past.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

See hoedt is saying there should have been a red card. I think he’s referring to when their defender Porteous was knocked down, did anyone see what actually  occurred?

Sore loser. I thought there should have been at least a couple of yellow cards for them long before the ref actually showed the first one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It did look like Mara swung an arm at him as he ran past.

I missed that. The foul on the keeper by Fraser looked pretty bad from the other end of the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure I understood taking Aribo off. He was doing OK. I though Smallbone was the one that should have bene replaced. Stu came on and was fucking terrible. I'd of subbed the sub. Not having Charles on the bench or a defensive midfielder RM trusts to bring on is a problem. The Watford player waltzed past Stephens who looked like he was running in treacle. 

Thought KWP started brilliantly. I texted a pal that he was far too good for the championship, after which he looked terrible. He was not helped by not being helped. There are times when its two vs one and we are crying out for a right midfielder to sit in front of him and track the overlap etc.  Playing 4-3-3 is great from an attacking sense, but its an issue for us defensively.

Last thing. I will never bother with the £20 tickets in the chapel again. The number of kids screaming nonsense did my head in. Loved the enthusiasm, but hated the high pitch drivel.

Good take. Not having Charles there was a big mistake. He has energy and enthusiasm. Stephens could never step into that role at 75 minutes.

Very conflicted on Brookes, moments of magic but zero contribution to defence. No wonder KWP looked knackered.

Just now, macca155 said:

Very conflicted on Brookes, moments of magic but zero contribution to defence

I've been saying for a while now that we should use Brooks more as an impact sub rather than starting him. He does seem to have interfered with our balance and cohesion somewhat since joining... so someone we should have up our sleeve rather than starting, IMO of course. 

• Like 7

Missus arranged a day out shopping in Oxford so I had to suffer watching the game on the phone in pub with the dog, a pint and a packet of crisps. Apologies to the few others in the bar for the outburst in the 98th minute. Fantastic to win a game at the death like that…let’s face it, any other clubs supporters would love to do the same to us. I can see why Martin is choosing the starters…generally you would expect the experience of Brookes and Che for example to perform in a more composed manner.

Can’t really excuse Bazunu once again for letting in a soft long shot…just poor. By contrast their keeper made a worldly just at the right time.

Anyway…top two dream still alive. Beat PNE on Tuesday and things will really start to heat up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Good take. Not having Charles there was a big mistake. He has energy and enthusiasm. Stephens could never step into that role at 75 minutes.

Very conflicted on Brookes, moments of magic but zero contribution to defence. No wonder KWP looked knackered.

Stephen’s was already stretching his hamstring before the change.

i don’t really trust any of Armstrong, airbo or smallbone to have stamina for 90 minutes. Badly need to get something out of a talent like Charles.

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

100% he did. I was amazed the officials missed it. Really really poor from Mara.

It would almost be tolerable if he didn’t just jog around, like he didn’t give a f**k, the rest of the time. If he was a proper Gattusso, blood and thunder, player who went into every challenge like his opponent had just slapped his wife, then I could forgive him for seeing the red mist occasionally.