Global Warming?

hamster

The scientists obviously know better than us about what is going on but their record for prediction is not very impressive.

I'm starting to not give a ****e about climate change. I agree with the consensus, CO2 is warming the planet, it will be disastrous for some countries, but I don't give a **** because it's freezing in England, I would prefer it a couple of degrees warmer.

Climate change is not going to affect all areas in a consistent manner. While most countries will warm, some will get colder, others wetter. Our environment is a complex model, and scientists are only really begining to understand it. So far, the UK's weather seems to be becoming more extreme, warmer overall, with wet late summers (August has been rained off the past few years), and sharp cold snaps in winter. It's too early to put this down to climate change yet, but if it is, I think the very fact you are currently freezing is reason enough to give a **** about climate change.

Climate change is not going to affect all areas in a consistent manner. While most countries will warm, some will get colder, others wetter. Our environment is a complex model, and scientists are only really begining to understand it. So far, the UK's weather seems to be becoming more extreme, warmer overall, with wet late summers (August has been rained off the past few years), and sharp cold snaps in winter. It's too early to put this down to climate change yet, but if it is, I think the very fact you are currently freezing is reason enough to give a **** about climate change.

I think you're falling into the trap of thinking everything is due to climate change. I don't remember scientists telling me 10 years ago that our winters will become colder. Fact is they just do not know what is going to happen - that's why billions is being spent on satellites that measure thickness of ice and water in the atmosphere.

The UK could gain from a warmer climate.

Arguing about it is pointless anyway, the fact that the UN climate summit is being held in Cancun, a city who owes it's whole existence to long haul flights, shows how futile it is to give a damn. Climate change will happen regardless, forget trying to combat it and just try and adapt - even James Lovelock is saying that now.

Edited by aintforever

I think you're falling into the trap of thinking everything is due to climate change. I don't remember scientists telling me 10 years ago that our winters will become colder. Fact is they just do not know what is going to happen - that's why billions is being spent on satellites that measure thickness of ice and water in the atmosphere.

The UK could gain from a warmer climate.

Not at all. If you notice, I didn't directly say that everything that is happening is due to climate change. In fact I even caveated what I said with 'It's too early to put this down to climate change yet'.

Of course scientists don't know everything that will happen to the climate in the future. They don't claim to do so. Instead, they make educated predictions, based on the avaliable evidence.

The UK could indeed get either a warmer or colder climate. At the moment, there are competing theories which suggest that either is a possibility - largely depending upon how the wind and water currents change direction.

So, no, I haven't fallen into any traps.

Arguing about it is pointless anyway, the fact that the UN climate summit is being held in Cancun, a city who owes it's whole existence to long haul flights, shows how futile it is to give a damn. Climate change will happen regardless, forget trying to combat it and just try and adapt - even James Lovelock is saying that now.

On this defeatist point you might be right, it is looking like change will happen. It also looks as if some of the poorest countries will suffer worst for the hesitance of the polluters. I do hope anyone who has every argued against science is reminded of their personal responsibility if/when the poorest suffer.

On this defeatist point you might be right, it is looking like change will happen. It also looks as if some of the poorest countries will suffer worst for the hesitance of the polluters. I do hope anyone who has every argued against science is reminded of their personal responsibility if/when the poorest suffer.

The reason Africa will starve in the future is because of politics. It's a fertile continent. Rhodesia is a prime example of a once productive commercial farming nation that has become a wasteland of subsistence farmers.

None of the major country's leader give a damn, every developed country a the UN summit will only be concerned about:

a) What is the best deal for them money wise.

b) How can they appear to be doing something so that they don't lose votes.

Our climate is exceptionally mild compared with other places on the same latitude. We are as far north as Labrador in Canada and Kamchatka in Russia folks. An exceptional combination of factors, including the gulf stream make it very mild here. Only tiny changes in the global climate could royally **** us up. All it would take is for our prevailing winds to start coming from the North or East instead of the warm south west or for the gulf stream to shut down and we'd be looking at typical temperatures at least 5 degrees lower than today. Just because the planet gets warmer on average doesnt mean that we do.

Edited by buctootim

Our climate is exceptionally mild compared with other places on the same latitude. We are as far north as Labrador in Canada and Kamchatka in Russia folks. An exceptional combination of factors, including the gulf stream make it very mild here. Only tiny changes in the global climate could royally **** us up. All it would take is for our prevailing winds to start coming from the North or East instead of the warm south west or for the gulf stream to shut down and we'd be looking at typical temperatures at least 5 degrees lower than today. Just because the planet gets warmer on average doesnt mean that we do.

I don't buy that Gulf Stream theory, just because they made a film about it doesn't mean it will happen. The idea of melt water from Greenland effecting the steam is sound, but surely if the UK is turned into Kamchatka then Greenland will be similarly colder and the process will be reversed.

If the planet is a few degress warmer we might benefit from a nice cool North Easterly wind anyway. It's all guesswork.

I don't buy that Gulf Stream theory, just because they made a film about it doesn't mean it will happen. The idea of melt water from Greenland effecting the steam is sound, but surely if the UK is turned into Kamchatka then Greenland will be similarly colder and the process will be reversed.

If the planet is a few degress warmer we might benefit from a nice cool North Easterly wind anyway. It's all guesswork.

I agree how climate change will affect us a country is still all guesswork. But if you are already holding a flukey set of cards which gives you much better weather than other places as far north, would you want the pack reshuffled without knowing what you will get dealt but knowing that most other options would be worse for us?

The reason Africa will starve in the future is because of politics. It's a fertile continent. Rhodesia is a prime example of a once productive commercial farming nation that has become a wasteland of subsistence farmers.

I was more thinking about Bangladesh. Irrespective, Africa is likely to be adversly affected by a changing climate, whether governments are managing their farmland efficiently or not.

BTW, I'm sure you can't have missed it, but Rhodesia seized to exist some 30 years ago, keep up Dune.

None of the major country's leader give a damn, every developed country a the UN summit will only be concerned about:

a) What is the best deal for them money wise.

b) How can they appear to be doing something so that they don't lose votes.

Yes, that's what I see happening too, unfortunately, and unjustifiably.

I agree how climate change will affect us a country is still all guesswork. But if you are already holding a flukey set of cards which gives you much better weather than other places as far north, would you want the pack reshuffled without knowing what you will get dealt but knowing that most other options would be worse for us?

I agree it is a roll of the dice but it is a roll that IS going to happen. Much better prepare ourselves for the outcome than try and kid ourselves that we can stop it happening.

It makes sense to develop renewable energy and be less wasteful and I would carry on doing that. But I would spend more time and money on trying to predict what will happen and adapt the best we can to the effects. Noah built an arc, he didn't try to stop it raining.

I agree it is a roll of the dice but it is a roll that IS going to happen. Much better prepare ourselves for the outcome than try and kid ourselves that we can stop it happening.

It makes sense to develop renewable energy and be less wasteful and I would carry on doing that. But I would spend more time and money on trying to predict what will happen and adapt the best we can to the effects. Noah built an arc, he didn't try to stop it raining.

We can't stop climate change, but we can limit it's affects. Not acting is in effect adding to the scale of the problems we will face.

As for spending more money on research, I agree, science could always do with more resources. I don't feel that this should be at the expense of developing renewables though, they are, afterall, the best proven solutions science has so far come up with (and each day they are used instead of a co2 emitting energy source, is helping to limit the total extent of problem).

BRITAIN TRAPPED UNDER TWO FEET OF GLOBAL WARMING BULL**** printButton.png emailButton.png 25-11-10 BRITAIN ground to a standstill today after the heaviest November global warming bull**** in more than a decade.

windowlook.jpg

This woman is now a leading climatologist

Across the country thousands of people found themselves trapped in pubs by a relentless blizzard of tedious, predictable observations by the sort of people who post comments on the Daily Mail website.

The Met Office said there was around 24 inches of dreary, ill-informed **** in most parts of the UK, while strong winds could cause bull**** drifts up to 40ft deep.

Tom Logan, who is trapped in a pub in Stevenage, said: "I popped into the White Hart for a few triple vodkas before I went back to work and there was Geoff just sitting there. With his newspaper.

"I could see it coming towards me like a huge, dark cloud full of utter ****ing **** about things that he does not even begin to understand.

"It started with a flurry of statistics that simply aren't true and then the really heavy stuff came down - 'so why is it so cold?' and 'it's all a Marxist conspiracy' which was, of course, followed immediately by 'that Al Gore is a billionaire, you know'.

"It stopped, very briefly, while he ordered another Guinness and then he just dumped this massive, disgusting comment about Africans right into the middle of my head. Thank God I wasn't driving."

Dr Julian Cook, a senior research fellow at the Institute for Studies, said: "One of the nastier effects of the global warming debate is that a lot of people - Daily Mail readers, ****ers, that kind of thing - seem to think climate science is based on looking out the window.

"So, over the next couple of days, if someone says to you 'I suppose this is so-called climate change?' just say 'yes, it ****ing is actually'."

Meanwhile, Logan said he still hoped to dig himself out before sunset, adding: "At this time of year I always carry my ******** shovel and a pair of tennis rackets, but it will take me a while to get out of here because as you can see he is still going on and on and on and on.

"If he even starts to say 'we could probably do with a bit of global warming' I am going to try and kill myself with this flare gun."

Spot on. I also think the sword of fear has been used to bully everyone into line. Armegeddon will surely follow immediatley if we don't turn off those lights are chop in those cars for a treader. ********. What the world needs is some sensible discussions and directions on what the future holds and not a load of fannying about with arm waving and knee jerk reactions.

I think we should reduce carbon emmissions, recycle, stop burying our waste, use renewable energy and decrease our reliance on oil. It 's all common sense, cleaner and cheaper and will reduce the influence of the oil producing countries (who even ask the West to invade other countries).

However, a lot of the science behind climate change is nothing more than scaremongering.