Best Gigs 2009?

miserableoldgit

• 1 month later...
C*ckney Rejects in December!!!! :D :D

Guess I'm the only person here that likes them :(

If I was over there I'd prob be going up to that.

Saw em a couple of years back - they do all the good Oi stuff (none of that dodgy metal sh*t they experimented with for a while).

I finally got to hear the 'Quiet Storm' LP by them the other day. A truly awful record - but almost so bad that it is good.

And we're running down the backstreets....

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

you know its going to be special when everone in the audience gets a free kazoo. I went to see Sorry I Haven't a Clue on tour last week, with Jack Dee doing the business as host and a classic line-up of gardner, brooke-taylor, humphreys and hardy. graham gardner was as razor sharp as ever (i'd call him the poor man's john cleese but everthing he's done since a fish called wanda has just been painful to watch) and jeremy hardy was great as the token 'young person', making jokes about the israel defence force and saying **** on a regular basis. best part of the night was 'kazoo karaoke' where the audience played tunes for the panel to guess, the power of thousands of kazoos cracking out 'hit me with your rhythm stick' will stay with me forever.

last night i got dressed up to go to the royal festival hall to see spiritualized perfoming 'ladies and gentleman...', live, on stage, as it was performed. i really like the concept of bands playing classic albums in full as you get to hear the songs in the context they were written for. and 'ladies and gentleman' has a clear over-arching narrative corning the nitty gritty of falling in and then out of love, that deserves to be heard in full in such a grand setting (i'm pretty sure it was my first gig in a venue with a royal box).

famously, 'ladies and gentleman' was jason spaceman's own break-up record/stark self portrait after his lady secretly married richard ashcroft (double ouch) and to its credit it doesn't wallow in its own misery juices. it starts off full of wonder and awe and self-depreciating humour and the joys of feeling alive. but in the second half of the album self-doubt and fears of betrayal bum-rush the show. and it ends badly, as on a long enough time-line all relationships do. jason finally sees the light but its only to realise the whole time he though he'd been walking in space he's actually been w@nking for coins in a gutter of his own drug-filth. live and learn.

and it all sounds amazing over ten years later, with his hired lackies, string section and choir, jason was on red hot form, encoring with a stunning 'out of sight' which i could hear being sung by choirs or angels and loved-up beardy guardian readers all the way back to waterloo.

cosmic

• 4 weeks later...
Shed 7 in Pompey in December should win this thread hands down.

saw them at the pyramids last year. they were gash. rick witter was off his nut i think. that said, if he turns up and in the mood it should be good

saw Airborne Toxic Event at O2 Oxford Saturday, bloody excellent. Best gig this year for me...

Tortoise/Cluster @ The Royal Festival Hall

Absolutely utterly incredible. I could never claim to big the most devout Tortoise fan ever but they just blew my tiny mind. Cluster were great too and as it was part of the Radio 3 Jazz Festival, and clearly Tortoise are huge Cluster fans, their sets over-lapped and fused with the power of jazz. Tortoise joined Cluster for the end of their set, and after the interval Cluster helped kick start the Tortoise set. One of the best gigs I've ever been to, ever!

Tortoise/Cluster @ The Royal Festival Hall

Absolutely utterly incredible. I could never claim to big the most devout Tortoise fan ever but they just blew my tiny mind. Cluster were great too and as it was part of the Radio 3 Jazz Festival, and clearly Tortoise are huge Cluster fans, their sets over-lapped and fused with the power of jazz. Tortoise joined Cluster for the end of their set, and after the interval Cluster helped kick start the Tortoise set. One of the best gigs I've ever been to, ever!

+1

And the skronky dub-jazz apocalypse of Bass Clef in the bar beforehand was meaty.

i went to that gig. thought reverend and the makers where top also

saw kasabian last nite at bic, and rev and the makers were indeed very good. lead singist was right up for it, having a great time

kasabian themselves were very good altho something left me disappointed. can't put my finger on it as they were very good . maybe it was the venue??

saw kasabian last nite at bic, and rev and the makers were indeed very good. lead singist was right up for it, having a great time

kasabian themselves were very good altho something left me disappointed. can't put my finger on it as they were very good . maybe it was the venue??

to be honest me and my mates were like that. still cant put my finger on it and i saw them at wembley arena. saw oasis at b.i.c last year and thought the venue was top

I am missing Weller at skate guildhall in a couple of weeks because of Uni, absolutely gutted. Made up for it by buying a ticket for the royal albert hall next may.

Saw the Enemy this year, they were awesome, also say the 'Phonics, always a quality quality band.

Sure i saw more than that, can't remember now.

I am missing Weller at skate guildhall in a couple of weeks because of Uni, absolutely gutted. Made up for it by buying a ticket for the royal albert hall next may.

Saw the Enemy this year, they were awesome, also say the 'Phonics, always a quality quality band.

Sure i saw more than that, can't remember now.

Saw Paul Weller :prayer: here in Dubai earlier this year .... awesome, probably my favourite of the year so far, but am off to see The Killers in Abu Dhabi tomorrow so may have to amend my choice ;)

Also high on my list was a Ska Combo of Neville Staples, Rankin Roger and Pauline Black plus a great backing band and they played all The Specials, The Beat and Selector hits, a really great night :smt026. Another cracking show was Motorhead ... Lemmy rocked :supz:

It`s a brilliant venue and they always put together a good programme. To think that we nearly lost it a year or two back!!

That would have been an absolute tragedy if had been lost. Always had a great night there, it's always busy with a great crowd. I took some friends from Sheffield there last year to see Easy Star Allstars and they absolutely fell in love with the place. Really glad it was saved. I live 200 miles away these days but I still get to at least one gig a year there whenever I come down to visit friends.

That would have been an absolute tragedy if had been lost. Always had a great night there, it's always busy with a great crowd. I took some friends from Sheffield there last year to see Easy Star Allstars and they absolutely fell in love with the place. Really glad it was saved. I live 200 miles away these days but I still get to at least one gig a year there whenever I come down to visit friends.

I used to go in there when it was a crumbling (literally!) "backstreet" boozer. Couldn`t believe what they did to it to turn it into the venue that it now is.