Writing a CV

for_heaven's_Saint

I'm coming to the end of my 3 years at uni now and consequently need to start applying for jobs for next year. I only have a really poor CV that I've used to apply for part time jobs and really need to write a completely new one.

Does anyone who works in recruitment have a decent template/any tips for writing one? Also I have had a look at the companies who write your CV for you, has anyone used one of them and if so is it worth it?

Cheeeers

CVs needn't be complicated.

Just make sure it looks clean and professional. If it looks cluttered the reader is likely to be put off. Use Verdana or Arial. Use bold to highlight different sections etc. Don't fanny around with underlining and italics.

Set out your contact details to begin with; then your educational results; then your job history, citing relevant experience; then finally any personal interests/other achievements etc.

About 3 pages or so should be fine for a junior professional CV.

There's no magic; just keep it simple.

By the way, I don't work in recruitment or anything so that's just my view.

keep your personal statement at the start snappy, they don't want you to tell them a story or your life's history, just maybe 4 or 5 lines that sums you up! that's my 2p worth anyway =)

Don't do that.

"Personal statement" - wtf?

By the way, I am not in recruitment so this is just my opinion.

Oh, and maybe stick a photo of your dong on the back? If it is triumphant then they are bound to be impressed? Is it? If not, don't.

Actually I would suggest ( based on experience and talking to HR people) keeping it very simple and no more than one page. Employers will get hundreds of CV's, they will take a quick glance, maybe 30 secs, and either it will catch their eye or it will be thrown to one side.Luckily I have not needed mine for a while but fair to say I'm looking for a way out !

I have obviously deleted a few bits of info but for what it is worth this is mine.

Christopher O’Bee

Watford

WD18 0QE

@hotmail.com

PERSONAL PROFILE

I am a hardworking conscientious individual, who is reliable and punctual. I am able to work on own unaided and I mix well in a team and able to communicate to all levels including managerial levels. I have a lot of experience in customer service and I am enthusiastic in my approach to work. I work well under pressure and strive to meet deadlines and hit targets. I am open to any training deemed necessary to make any role I under take a success.

KEY SKILLS & QUALITIES

Ø Excellent Communication skills

Ø Literate

Ø Tactful in dealing with difficult clients / situations

Ø Calm under pressure

Ø Proficient in the use of computers

Ø Excellent numerical skills

Ø Flexible and adaptable

Ø Managerial experience

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Nov 2003 – Date Department of Works and Pensions Watford

Administration officer

Ø Responsible for helping unemployed clients back into employment

Ø Helping with Cv’s, covering letters and advice on interview techniques

Ø Oversaw key changes to work practices

Ø Proactive in dealing with difficult customers

Ø Health and Safety Officer

Jan 1999 – Apr 2003 Inland Revenue Watford

Tax Collector

Ø Responsible for contacting taxpayers who had tax arrears and collecting payments.

Ø Tactful in dealing with Taxpayers who were in financial difficulties

Ø Health and Safety officer

1992 – 1998 Contributions Agency Watford

National Insurance Inspector

Ø Visiting Employers to check pay roll procedures

Ø Checking Petty cash Procedures

Ø Looking for under payments of National Insurance

Ø Looking for over payments of National Insurance

EDUCATION

1975 - 1978 Portsmouth Polytechnic Portsmouth

Ba Economics

Achieved 2nd Class Honours 2nd Division

First Class Honours For final Thesis

1972 – 1975 Richard Taunton College Southampton

A level’s

3 achieved in Economics, History and English Literature

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

I have a wide range of interests including Chess, Writing poetry and short stories. I enjoy listening to a wide range of music and watching athletics

REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST

Actually I would suggest ( based on experience and talking to HR people) keeping it very simple and no more than one page. Employers will get hundreds of CV's, they will take a quick glance, maybe 30 secs, and either it will catch their eye or it will be thrown to one side.Luckily I have not needed mine for a while but fair to say I'm looking for a way out !

I have obviously deleted a few bits of info but for what it is worth this is mine.

Christopher O’Bee

Watford

WD18 0QE

@hotmail.com

PERSONAL PROFILE

I am a hardworking conscientious individual, who is reliable and punctual. I am able to work on own unaided and I mix well in a team and able to communicate to all levels including managerial levels. I have a lot of experience in customer service and I am enthusiastic in my approach to work. I work well under pressure and strive to meet deadlines and hit targets. I am open to any training deemed necessary to make any role I under take a success.

I got this far...

You didn't get the job.

Christopher O’Bee

Watford

WD18 0QE

@hotmail.com

PERSONAL PROFILE

KEY SKILLS & QUALITIES

Ø Excellent Communication skills

Ø Literate

Ø Tactful in dealing with difficult clients / situations

Ø Calm under pressure

Ø Proficient in the use of computers

Ø Excellent numerical skills

Ø Flexible and adaptable

Ø Managerial experience

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Nov 2003 – Date Department of Works and Pensions Watford

Administration officer

Ø Responsible for helping unemployed clients back into employment

Ø Helping with Cv’s, covering letters and advice on interview techniques

Ø Oversaw key changes to work practices

Ø Proactive in dealing with difficult customers

Ø Health and Safety Officer

Jan 1999 – Apr 2003 Inland Revenue Watford

Tax Collector

Ø Responsible for contacting taxpayers who had tax arrears and collecting payments.

Ø Tactful in dealing with Taxpayers who were in financial difficulties

Ø Health and Safety officer

1992 – 1998 Contributions Agency Watford

National Insurance Inspector

Ø Visiting Employers to check pay roll procedures

Ø Checking Petty cash Procedures

Ø Looking for under payments of National Insurance

Ø Looking for over payments of National Insurance

EDUCATION

1975 - 1978 Portsmouth Polytechnic Portsmouth

Ba Economics

Achieved 2nd Class Honours 2nd Division

First Class Honours For final Thesis

1972 – 1975 Richard Taunton College Southampton

A level’s

3 achieved in Economics, History and English Literature

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

I have a wide range of interests including Chess, Writing poetry and short stories. I enjoy listening to a wide range of music and watching athletics

REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST

This is a classic CV f*ck up. People that say they are able to work on their own or as part of a team are masters of contridiction. Never say this, it makes you look i knob. Never say you can communicate through all levels either, makes you look like you think some are beneath you. SOmething like "i am highly self motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervison, this also enables me to contribute positively when in a team environment and when communicating with my peers or seniors" Although i've noticed you work in the public sector so the self motivated bit probably doesn't apply.

Edited by Turkish

I was neither wanting or needing your opinion but thanks anyway.

TBF my grammar and spelling is really crap so i'm a fine one to talk. That said i've found loads more mistakes. Reading your bullet points you sometimes use a capital letter on the second word and other times you don't. Also you put a full stop after one bullet point, but not on any of the others.;)

This is a classic CV f*ck up. People that say they are able to work on their own or as part of a team are masters of contridiction. Never say this, it makes you look i knob. SOmething like "i am highly self motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervison, this also enables me to contribute positivelywhen in a team environment" Although i've noticed you work in the public sector so the self motivated bit probably doesn't apply.

Not to mention...

Here is a classic example of where it would have been better to lie. If you have a crap social life just make up a really good one.

This is a classic CV f*ck up. People that say they are able to work on their own or as part of a team are masters of contridiction. Never say this, it makes you look i knob. SOmething like "i am highly self motivated and able to work effectively with minimal supervison, this also enables me to contribute positivelywhen in a team environment" Although i've noticed you work in the public sector so the self motivated bit probably doesn't apply.

Nope, according to the CV I work in the public sector. Anyway I'm sure the OP will appreciate your input.

A few general tips:

- don't bother putting "curriculum vitae" at the top. They know that.

- keep the personal details (name, phone number, address etc) to a brief couple of lines at the top

- promote the most relevant and important information to the top of the CV. Going for a job that relies heavily on your degree? Then put that at the top. If your work experience is more relevant, then use that.

- apply the "so what" test. Don't just list facts about your job; say what you did, why you did it, and most importantly, why it benefited your employer. Treat everything as an accomplishment, rather than just a responsibility. Be concise and to the point.

- even the least relevant experience can be made relevant. General skills and attributes like problem solving, showing initiative, being reliable, being a good team worker etc are good to show for any job app.

- make the best use of space that you can - white space is your enemy. Don't use extra pages unless you really have to. My CV is only a page. A 1 page CV with the same information will look a lot better than a 2 page CV which looks like it is padded out.

- don't lie. It'll come back to bite you in the interview.

- keep personal interests brief, unless there is a real tangible link to the role you are applying for. They just want to know you are human, they don't actually care about your stamp collection.

- don't bother with referees on the CV itself unless specifically requested but make it clear in the covering letter that you can provide them if and when they want them

- leave a few details out... imply that there is more to know if they would just invite you in for a chat...

- refine it, refine it, refine it. Never ever believe that it is finished.

I'm not a recruiter, but headhunting is rife in my industry, so my CV gets a lot of eyeballs and feedback.

I agree with a lot of what saint si says.

The best bit of advice I could give is that you should create a template CV as it were.

Then, for each job you apply for, you want to add/amend/delete/highlight the bits that are particuarly relevant for that role (assuming you are applying for different jobs). You need to make your CV so that you look like you are the ideal candidate for that job. A standard stock CV could end up irrelevant to every job you appy for.

Not a great example, but someone made the point about working on your own and within a team. Find out if you would be in a team or are working on your own and then

tailor your CV to the situation.

Therefore, consider the role you are appying for and elevate the bits that are more relevant for that job and you'll give yourself a better chance.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Join groups such as LinkedIn. You'll be able to see what others do in the profession you are interested in and the different styles of CVs. Otherwise take heed of Saint si's reply and you will not go wrong.

If you get an interview, then the hard work starts so don't be lazy and do nothing. Research the company/division, latest news of that field/expertise.

Also, dependent on what sort of professional work you entering, you may want to get family/friends to think of some tough questions and see how you would handle them - try and get to a position, provide some evidence, any benefits and a short positive conclusion. If you're unsure of the quesion, instead of intimating you don't know/cannot understand the question, restate the question "I believe you're asking ..." as it shows you were listen but may not of got the interpretation correct.

If you get nervous, use the compose cycle: accept reaction, change posture, breathe deep and slowly, get comfortable, regain confidence.

My wife completly re-done her CV last night to go for a new job. She has no experience in the new job or qualifications but when glancing through her previous jobs or her skill set each one is tailored to highlight skills that are transferable to the new job.

In each section of previous jobs she hasnt just focused on actual qualifications but also on practical skills used or learnt for each job. The experience can be as important as paper qualifications.

I used to have a standard 2 page CV that I had ready to send out to multiple business' and a more complex CV complete with references that I had ready to take to any interviews I may get. I also had a CV tailored for specific jobs if I saw them much like my Wife did last night.

I have been lucky in that every job I have gone for I have got. How much of that is down to a CV and how much is down to luck or desperation is open for debate but I guess the CV's have had some input.

The only thing is with my CV, I don't really have any relevant work experience because I've gone straight from school to college to university and only worked part time in retail/a pub. The only transferrable skills I've really got are those learnt at Uni e.g research skills, ability to work to deadlines etc. Don't even know if it's worth including 2 years at Marks and Spencer when I was 16-18.

The only thing is with my CV' date=' I don't really have any relevant work experience because I've gone straight from school to college to university and only worked part time in retail/a pub. The only transferrable skills I've really got are those learnt at Uni e.g research skills, ability to work to deadlines etc. Don't even know if it's worth including 2 years at Marks and Spencer when I was 16-18.[/quote']

It depends on what job you are going for I suppose but everyone was leaving school at some point and you can only draw on the experiences you have had until then. If its not relevent then dont put it in. But 2 years working at M&S from 16-18 will look better on your CV than someone else who spent the same 2 years playing XBOX and smoking blunts.

My 1st CV included team organisation skills I had learnt on an adventure holiday when I was 14! It was mildly relevent to the job I was going for and was a topic of interest that followed into how I could handle situations that the new job might throw at me. It wouldnt get anywhere near the CV I did for my current job but served me well back then.

here is my tip, it worked really well for me:

Put your (tidy and refined) CV on Monster.co.uk - and leave your contact details on the CV.

Monster will ask you to remove them for safety and so on. I didnt, in fact, I made my mobile and email adress prominent at the top for my Monster CV.

My phone kept ringing, people from various recruitment agencies who spend their mornings searching monster for talent. By leaving your details on your CV they can contact you directly, and they do!

Best of luck

By the way, surely your university has a careers advisor who is better qualified to advise you on these sorts of things than us? No?

Yeah it probably has and I'll visit them eventually I expect. Just thought people on here may have first hand experience of actually looking through applicants' CVs and therefore be able to offer a different opinion, which they have and it's been helpful.

Now if anyone wants to give me a job you know where I am!

Join groups such as LinkedIn. You'll be able to see what others do in the profession you are interested in and the different styles of CVs. Otherwise take heed of Saint si's reply and you will not go wrong.

If you get an interview, then the hard work starts so don't be lazy and do nothing. Research the company/division, latest news of that field/expertise.

Also, dependent on what sort of professional work you entering, you may want to get family/friends to think of some tough questions and see how you would handle them - try and get to a position, provide some evidence, any benefits and a short positive conclusion. If you're unsure of the quesion, instead of intimating you don't know/cannot understand the question, restate the question "I believe you're asking ..." as it shows you were listen but may not of got the interpretation correct.

If you get nervous, use the compose cycle: accept reaction, change posture, breathe deep and slowly, get comfortable, regain confidence.

Always remember that an interview is a 2 way exchange of views, so do not let it get to them just asking you questions, favourites of mine is "Why should I come and work for you" and "If I am successful, what opportunities for career progression will there be with your company.

As someone who has has to plough through CV's make the font easy to read, Hit them hard with relevant info at the Top (i.e. in a Profile and then followed by quick Achievements section).

In the Education section Promote your degree and mark if its a good one, but at schools and college just mention 4 A levels and subjects but do not mention marks unless it is really relevant. Same with GCSE's. No more than 2 pages but preferably one. Sir John Harvey Jones the business guru only had a 1 page CV with all his experience.

Thanks for the tips guys. As for the question as to what sort of job I'm going for' date=' I frankly have no idea. I guess I need to work out what I'm good at quite soon :-/[/quote']

blow jobs is not a good thing to put as a skill or an interest, at least not on your CV anyway.