Anyone been to Mexico?

Jillyanne

Went to Playa del Carmen for a couple of days last November and it was good. Nice beach, clear warm water and good hotel. Also did this amazing caving river tour http://www.riosecreto.com/ . The thing with central america is that they are poor countries and often the fancy strip of good hotels in palm lined roads are one block away from people living in real poverty with all the social issues to boot. If you arent comfortable with that youi'd be better off somewhere like Cayman Islands, Florida, Seychelles etc.

Been to Mexico City (most polluted place on earth!) and dont recommend it !

Also had a holiday in Playa Del Carmen in an all inclusive resort which was great ! Went swimming with dolphins and a few trips around the Yakatan peninsula which were quite interesting !

We visited Cancun for the day and thought that the town itself was a bit brash and full of Yanks (maybe that suits you?) but dont remember much more about it !

If you get a good quality resort then (as long as the weather is good) I'm sure you'll enjoy it !

HTH

Yucatan is stunning once you exit Cancun. Towns such as Merida and Campache are far nicer to spend time in. Very noticable how wealthy Mexico is compared to the rest of Central America, cross into Guatamala, or Belize, and you'll notice an instant drop in standards.

I go to Mexico City fairly regularly on business and I really like it - it's an interesting mix of first and third world (LDC's is the current nomenclature I believe) maybe second world? I also holidayed in Yucatan a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - particularly trips to Mayan pyramids. Disliked Cancun - pretty much like Florida; over-endowed with shopping malls.

I enjoyed Cancun, very Americanised but I like that sort of sh!t. Fantastic hotels. You can visit some great places like Chichen Itza and Tulum.

We took a bus down the coast to Belize, stunning place, great for diving and the only country in Central America who's first language is English.

Went to Acapulco on a ship once. Ended up in a great night club overlooking the bay. Think it was called the Pladium. Floor to ceiling windows. Lots of drunk American birds. Can't remember much else.

Captain's wife was going on about cliff divers but we were too mingled up to do anything like that.