What we're competing with...

trousers

David-Conn_normal.jpgDavid Conn@david_conn

Manchester City in their annual report show an incredible £610m spent on transfer fees since 2008 when Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi took over

The £610m Manchester City spent buying players from 2008 excludes summer 2013, when club spent £102m (transfermarkt figure). Total: £712m.

Manchester City annual report states that while club spent £610m on players from 2008-13, it received £112m transfer fees. Net spend: £498m.

David-Conn_normal.jpgDavid Conn@david_conn

Manchester City in their annual report show an incredible £610m spent on transfer fees since 2008 when Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi took over

The £610m Manchester City spent buying players from 2008 excludes summer 2013, when club spent £102m (transfermarkt figure). Total: £712m.

Manchester City annual report states that while club spent £610m on players from 2008-13, it received £112m transfer fees. Net spend: £498m.

I don't think we have to " compete " by spending more money than Citeh......do we ?

They don't have 4 Academy players in their start side - (who cost us almost nothing in fees)... maybe that's why they've had to spend £ 000,000's on their current playing staff.

Last two games against them we beat them and drew with them. Even under Adkins we gave them a bit of a pounding
Meaningless comment in this context.

You don't reach Europe by having the team to win games, you do it by having the squad to maintain that winning habit over a season. We've got a great team, but not a top six squad.

Meaningless comment in this context.

You don't reach Europe by having the team to win games, you do it by having the squad to maintain that winning habit over a season. We've got a great team, but not a top six squad.

Yes because a couple of good quality squad players is going to set us back £600mill

I don't think we have to " compete " by spending more money than Citeh......do we ?

They don't have 4 Academy players in their start side - (who cost us almost nothing in fees)... maybe that's why they've had to spend £ 000,000's on their current playing staff.

I wasn't suggesting that the ONLY way of "competing" is on a like for like basis (financially). Although I guess some (many?) will suggest that it IS the only way to be "competitive" in the PL these days. Open for debate I guess.

Not exactly free. The Academy is quite expensive to run.

Ye know what I mean. More respect in raising one's own players, too. I say we keep doing that, and make a few semi-big signings here and there, rather than chucking hundreds of millions at it like t'others.

I wasn't suggesting that the ONLY way of "competing" is on a like for like basis (financially). Although I guess some (many?) will suggest that it IS the only way to be "competitive" in the PL these days. Open for debate I guess.

Not really every team that has won the Premiership has spent an awful lot of money, even to qualify n a consistent basis you have to spend millions every year. We are were even with Cortese there capable of doing that, I'm sorry if people believed that but they were and are naive.

he has gone very quiet about it.

not long ago, he was gobbing off all the time about the prem

He was my favourite player when I was young, but take his glittering career away and you are left with a guy who has worse ideas than Blatter and similar levels of consistency when it comes to seeing them through.