Sad Day To Be A Saints Fan

Gemmel

Completely gutted. Don't know how else to describe it.

Been doing this for years, but can't remember such a gut wrenching departure.

Players come and go - Part of the game and I'm old enough to understand that once a players head is turned, it is very difficult if not impossible to reverse the situation. I've read on here how Lallana and Shaw would stay. They won't and never would have, regardless who was in charge, But I always felt we had a shout with Poch and I could have lived with any of the players leaving as long as we kept him.

May be the shock of losing him to Spurs is a measure of how far we have come (Trying to find some positives) but it feels like the last five years have just come to a grinding halt.

It wasn't just the results, it was the football. Poch is and was the real deal. A complete breath of fresh air to the premiership and I loved every minute of it.

Don't blame the board, I am sure we did everything we could, but the footballing pecking order has spoken again, the most annoying thing, is that we were so close....so so so so close to doing something magical. The irony for me is that we were a world class striker away and at 15 million we really went for it with Osvaldo.....it just didn't work out.

Don't give up on Saints, we will be back.

I think we need to wait for confirmation before being down. The minute Cortese left things were going to decline. I understand that we can't expect KL to fund us for our own fix, but it is disappointing. Things just seem to be unravelling, WTFILN being sung in Pompey no doubt.

Agree with a lot of that sentiment but I do believe the buck (or puck) stops with the board. Reading between the lines Poch was clearly looking for a signal of the same ambition that cortese had, he obviously hasn't had that and as an ambitious manager himself wants to work for a club that does have top 4 as a resourced objective. Likewise all our talent, which was recruited/developed under the old plan, will now want to head to clubs who are also seeking champions league football.

As a measure, we could easily have finished above spuds next season with the same team and manager in place plus a couple of additions. Now all our current peer group are going to be crowing about how amazing they are with their new recruits whilst we drop down the table and I can really see us fighting to stay away from relegation next season. Especially with Leicester and QPR coming up.

Either cortese's plan was financially unrealistic and the party we could never afford for the past 5 years has come to an end OR the new board simply don't have the foresight and drive to speculate for future success. Either way its quite depressing.

Either cortese's plan was financially unrealistic and the party we could never afford for the past 5 years has come to an end OR the new board simply don't have the foresight and drive to speculate for future success. Either way its quite depressing.

there's nothign about the new board that suggests they have any idea what is possible to achieve in football, so the only conclusion in that bracket would be that they are simply unwilling to finance it.

which would be a shame because it would look very much like we are set to meander until we are replaced by a club owned by someone who chose to be in football rather than just inheriting it.

f*ck him. never cared for the club and only used it as a stepping stone. Keep as many of our team together, get in someone half decent and beat him next season. The tosser.

I agree with you completely we will get someone quite good I expect

f*ck him. never cared for the club and only used it as a stepping stone. Keep as many of our team together, get in someone half decent and beat him next season. The tosser.

Because keeping players will be much easier without MP :facepalm: Given RK and KL have no track record, they have a hell of job on their hands to convince sceptical players that the club is still going places and the disruption will be minimal.

MP's loyalty was to himself, the players and, despite what the embittered space cadets here say, Cortese - sad but true. We're now seeing the consequences of this play out.

there's nothign about the new board that suggests they have any idea what is possible to achieve in football, so the only conclusion in that bracket would be that they are simply unwilling to finance it.

which would be a shame because it would look very much like we are set to meander until we are replaced by a club owned by someone who chose to be in football rather than just inheriting it.

apart from uncle les of course

I was listening to a discussion on the Radio the other night where the pundits were saying it is highly unlikely any club like us Newcastle Aston Villa will break into the top 6/7 so what is the point ****ing £30m and I think that is realistic.

Buying Continental/South American players who are not top notch has not guaranteed success for many clubs Saints included

Because keeping players will be much easier without MP :facepalm: Given RK and KL have no track record, they have a hell of job on their hands to convince sceptical players that the club is still going places and the disruption will be minimal.

MP's loyalty was to himself, the players and, despite what space cadets here say, Cortese - sad but true. We're now seeing the consequences of this play out.

Exactly. It really shocks me how dumb people can be at times.

If someone brought you into a company because they liked you and believed in you then you will feel respect towards that guy. If then someone new comes in, replaces the guy who brought you in, removes some other staff, and will then remove some of your fellow work colleagues what will you be thinking? You will naturally be questioning why you are there. It isn't about loyalty towards the company it is about believing that the company makes the right decisions which in turn make you want to be there. I am sure most of us have moved jobs because key reasons why we were there changed. That is life.

Exactly. It really shocks me how dumb people can be at times.

If someone brought you into a company because they liked you and believed in you then you will feel respect towards that guy. If then someone new comes in, replaces the guy who brought you in, removes some other staff, and will then remove some of your fellow work colleagues what will you be thinking? You will naturally be questioning why you are there. It isn't about loyalty towards the company it is about believing that the company makes the right decisions which in turn make you want to be there. I am sure most of us have moved jobs because key reasons why we were there changed. That is life.

Couldn't agree more.

The only loyalty MoPo has is to himself and his immediate family. I don't for one minute think he has any loyalty to a bunch of players who he has know for about a year or less.

I suggest you don't know much about competitive team sports then.

I suggest you don't know much about competitive team sports then.

In modern football, loyalty to a Club and vice versa is a very rare commodity.

I'm not knocking MoPo for it as I fully accept the extra money, the lure of the bright lights of London, European football and the reputation of Spurs (rightly or wrongly) is obviously too much of a pull for him.

If MoPo was really loyal to the players then with perhaps only 2-5 going, why is he not loyal to the remaining 20+? Why would someone pledge loyalty to a group of players he hardly knows and choose them over such a move. This is a big opportunity for him and one that IMHO he cannot refuse.

And if he was loyal to Cortese, then he should have done the honourable thing and resigned when he left, or immediately after seeing out this season.

I honestly thought we'd push on after this season

Utterly gutted tonight ....at this rate we'll be heading for the Championship.

Absolutely no guarantee we wouldn't with MP still here - nothing is certain in this game

We had a lot more threads along the same lines after Adkins had been sacked, and that turned out ok. The framework in place at this club is incredible, and with the right appointment will continue to progress forwards

The only loyalty MoPo has is to himself and his immediate family. I don't for one minute think he has any loyalty to a bunch of players who he has know for about a year or less.

True that!

Same goes for the players who couldn't give a flyin fu ck about the club when a bigger club comes along

We had a lot more threads along the same lines after Adkins had been sacked, and that turned out ok. The framework in place at this club is incredible, and with the right appointment will continue to progress forwards

Exactly, the world will keep turning, we've seen much darker days than this and come through it.

Don't really know what the board can do, we don't have the info. Anyone know Pochettinno? If he was certain he wanted to go, what can the board do exactly?

If they want to play hard-ball, they will hold him to his contract which still has a year to run. Until it is run/terminated he cannot join another club.

It's a sad day for football.

Effectively it says, as if we didn't already know, that money talks.

Our club which has nurtured and been lauded for its youth policy is open to be dismantled by clubs that can offer competitions and salaries we can't match. I do fear a domino effect of MP's departure

What's the point then of developing youth, unless for the business of selling them on?

I like MP but I hope Spurs turns out to be a mistake. Not necessarily to punish him but to see the smugness wiped off Levy's face - because I've no doubt they'll be using MP to turn some of our players heads.

That said, I've renewed, so **** everyone else. COYR.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk

Don't really know what the board can do, we don't have the info. Anyone know Pochettinno? If he was certain he wanted to go, what can the board do exactly?

The question is why would he want to go? Does the clubs vision and his match?

I am sure if they did he would want to continue here. After all Spurs were only a few spaces above us.

The question is why would he want to go? Does the clubs vision and his match?

I am sure if they did he would want to continue here. After all Spurs were only a few spaces above us.

They're still a much bigger club than us I have no problem with that or with Mopo leaving. I'm more annoyed that it seems Mopo has been planning this move for a while all the time stringing saints along just in case he needed a fall back plan.

I thought he would stay, at least for another year. He clearly has no loyalty to us whatsoever. What goes around tends to come around and I suspect he will live to regret his decision to betray us. I hope so. This may be all for the best -I just hope we get someone good who will make sure we play good football.

Don't worry or be upset. Everyone at the club have said that they are comfortable with the situation so must have been comfortable with Poch walking out. I'm sure there are awesome plans in place for our sustainable mid-table cup team dream.