Budget 2015...

Unbelievable Jeff

So, remember when I said we live in a sexist society? And I was mocked for it. Tell me, how is this not a pretty damning demonstration of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3001672/Theresa-sat-suit-low-cut-taken-Sam-Fox-QUENTIN-LETTS-sees-theatre-Westminster-unfold.html

That is the Daily Mail though? It's like going to a Roy 'Chubby' Brown gig and expecting no sexism!

Plus, just out of interest, what do you consider sexist about that? I'm intrigued, as all I can see is hyperbole about May wearing an inappropriate dress...

That is the Daily Mail though? It's like going to a Roy 'Chubby' Brown gig and expecting no sexism!

Plus, just out of interest, what do you consider sexist about that? I'm intrigued, as all I can see is hyperbole about May wearing an inappropriate dress...

The Daily Mail, aka the most read news site on the internet? You can't really hand wave it away with 'just the Daily Mail'.

Tell me, what does Ms. May's choice of outfit have to do with the budget announcement?

The Daily Mail, aka the most read news site on the internet? You can't really hand wave it away with 'just the Daily Mail'.

Tell me, what does Ms. May's choice of outfit have to do with the budget announcement?

If Ed Milliband had been wearing a shirt with two buttons undone, showing some chest hair, do you not think he'd have been compared to Simon Cowell or similar, because I do.

If Ed Milliband had been wearing a shirt with two buttons undone, showing some chest hair, do you not think he'd have been compared to Simon Cowell or similar, because I do.

Hmmm, funny how the article feels no need to mention the attire of any of the men in the HoC that day. There's what, around 650 MPs, of which around 500 of them are men.

Not a single prominent male MP has his clothing commented on, yet arguably the most prominent woman MP does. Further more, on a conservative leaning site, it compares her to a former glamour model. Now, what are generally the attitudes towards glamour models amongst right-wing types? What has been the attitude of men on here towards women that pose for photos? Undeserving of respect, deserve what they get etc.

But no, suggesting Theresa May looks like a glamour model in Guantanamo Bay has nothing to do with sexism. Definitely not.

So, remember when I said we live in a sexist society? And I was mocked for it. Tell me, how is this not a pretty damning demonstration of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3001672/Theresa-sat-suit-low-cut-taken-Sam-Fox-QUENTIN-LETTS-sees-theatre-Westminster-unfold.html

I can see evidence that the Daily Mail can be pretty sexist when it wants to be (although if a male MP wore revealing clothes then it would also be commented on no doubt.) Still don't see how an article in the Daily Mail means we live in a sexist society. It's a widely read website but I think you'll find that the majority of popular articles will be pointless celebrity based gossip.

Hmmm, funny how the article feels no need to mention the attire of any of the men in the HoC that day. There's what, around 650 MPs, of which around 500 of them are men.

Not a single prominent male MP has his clothing commented on, yet arguably the most prominent woman MP does. Further more, on a conservative leaning site, it compares her to a former glamour model. Now, what are generally the attitudes towards glamour models amongst right-wing types? What has been the attitude of men on here towards women that pose for photos? Undeserving of respect, deserve what they get etc.

But no, suggesting Theresa May looks like a glamour model in Guantanamo Bay has nothing to do with sexism. Definitely not.

I assume the 500 men were dressed appropriately - it's budget day so ties all round I would guess.

The reason she is being compared to Sam Fox is she is famous for making money out of her breasts. Theresa May was wearing a low cut top. I'm sure if the skirt was inappropriately short she'd have been compared to someone else.

It's hyperbole, based on the fact that she is dressed inappropriately. As I say, if Ed Balls was showing off his chest, or George Osborne turned up in a V neck, it would have been commented on. But they didn't, and it wasn't. I don't see how that's sexist.

I can see evidence that the Daily Mail can be pretty sexist when it wants to be (although if a male MP wore revealing clothes then it would also be commented on no doubt.) Still don't see how an article in the Daily Mail means we live in a sexist society...

Because media shapes people's views. The Daily Mail website is the most read news site on the web. Said website chooses to comment on the most prominent female MPs outfit, nothing about what she has done, just what she is wearing. Not any of the 500 or so men, just the most senior woman.

Now, not only does it comment on her outfit, it chooses to compare her to a glamour model. Which as we have seen is a profession that will cause many to look down on the model.

This happens all the time, because the society we live in is sexist. This isn't just some bloke making a daft comment in the office/down the pub.

Again, 500 male MPs, 150 women MPs (no sexism there either) the only one who has their clothing discussed is the most prominent woman.

I can see evidence that the Daily Mail can be pretty sexist when it wants to be (although if a male MP wore revealing clothes then it would also be commented on no doubt.) Still don't see how an article in the Daily Mail means we live in a sexist society. It's a widely read website but I think you'll find that the majority of popular articles will be pointless celebrity based gossip.

My missus loves that crap, she's always commenting on pics of the latest TOWIE star with his chest out etc.

Because media shapes people's views. The Daily Mail website is the most read news site on the web. Said website chooses to comment on the most prominent female MPs outfit, nothing about what she has done, just what she is wearing. Not any of the 500 or so men, just the most senior woman.

Now, not only does it comment on her outfit, it chooses to compare her to a glamour model. Which as we have seen is a profession that will cause many to look down on the model.

This happens all the time, because the society we live in is sexist. This isn't just some bloke making a daft comment in the office/down the pub.

Again, 500 male MPs, 150 women MPs (no sexism there either) the only one who has their clothing discussed is the most prominent woman.

She dressed inappropriately. Show me an example of a bloke there (cabinet or shadow) dressing inappropriately and I'd agree.

The most prominent person wearing a very low cut top and incidentally the only one wearing bright orange. If a bloke wore similar then I guarantee it would be picked up on. The daily mail having a potentially sexist article is not evidence of Britain being a sexist society any more than Britain being a racist society if someone decided to stick up a racist opinion piece about Rio Ferdinand on BBC sport.

The most prominent person wearing a very low cut top and incidentally the only one wearing bright orange. If a bloke wore similar then I guarantee it would be picked up on. The daily mail having a potentially sexist article is not evidence of Britain being a sexist society any more than Britain being a racist society if someone decided to stick up a racist opinion piece about Rio Ferdinand on BBC sport.

Lol forever. She's wearing an orange suit! So what?

It's more the point that she stands out.

Bit like Elmer the elephant.

Exactly. if in the house of commons everyone was wearing black but then a bloke wore bright yellow then I wouldn't be surprised if it was commented on. I wouldn't care myself but I can see why it has been picked up on .

The fact she 'stands out', kind of proves my point.

Anyway, got to go. So can't continue this for now. Apologies.

It really doesn't. If you were making a separate point about not being enough female representation in Parliament then fair enough and I would probably agree. She stood out because of the type and colour of dress she was wearing and a man could expect a similar level of comment if he wore a similarly striking outfit.

Anyone watching Ed Balls in the Budget debate?

Frankly, the thought of that clown managing the economy terrifies me.

You and me both, but most would say the same about our Georgie.

In all reality, if people think that either Ed or George actually has any say on the economics behind it and everything that is done is not based on Tory or Labour 'thinktanks' then they're mistaken. They're only the faces for them.

You and me both, but most would say the same about our Georgie.

In all reality, if people think that either Ed or George actually has any say on the economics behind it and everything that is done is not based on Tory or Labour 'thinktanks' then they're mistaken. They're only the faces for them.

True but the Tories have at least have some kind of philosophy, even if elements of their manifesto have been a complete shambles or implemented in a ridiculously harsh way.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a Tory at heart but I look at Balls & Miliband and the first thing I think is "WTF happened to the Labour Party?"

True but the Tories have at least have some kind of philosophy, even if elements of their manifesto have been a complete shambles or implemented in a ridiculously harsh way.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a Tory at heart but I look at Balls & Miliband and the first thing I think is "WTF happened to the Labour Party?"

Agree with this on both counts. They have Chuka Umunna, who is extremely credible, surely they should get him in a better position sooner rather than later?

Anyone watching Ed Balls in the Budget debate?

Frankly, the thought of that clown managing the economy terrifies me.

Balls was touring the TV studios this morning and making a complete pigs ear of it. Chris Leslie was also very poor on newsnight last night. Its been a half hearted response from labour , I'm not convinced they believe they can win the upcoming election.

Balls was touring the TV studios this morning and making a complete pigs ear of it. Chris Leslie was also very poor on newsnight last night. Its been a half hearted response from labour , I'm not convinced they believe they can win the upcoming election.

He was awful on 5live this morning on the way into work.

He was awful on 5live this morning on the way into work.

Perhaps they should have let him settle in the studio before they interviewed him then

Oh and KRG is absolutely right about the stupid comments from the Daily Mail and others about Teresa May. I don't like the woman but no serious and / or senior politician should be subjected to such condescending comments.

Oh and KRG is absolutely right about the stupid comments from the Daily Mail and others about Teresa May. I don't like the woman but no serious and / or senior politician should be subjected to such condescending comments.

I was expecting to follow the link and find her wearing Clown Suit or something, but it seemed pretty normal clothes :( On other hand, it is true that Serious Bros get less leeway in how loud their suits can be. Hello I'd like to buy a suit pls. No problem Sir, what shade of grey would you like?