Nigel Adkins first team

doddisalegend

Saw this on the net and thought it was mildly interesting. A list of players who started in Nigel's first game as saints manager and were they are now a few of the details are wrong but a bit of a diversion from the ****ty international break.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/10/nigel-adkins-first-starting-xi-at-southampton-where-are-they-now/page/1/

Pardew's first competitive match:

Kelvin Davis

Chris Perry

Wayne Thomas

Dan Harding

Lloyd James

Graeme Murty

Morgan Schneiderlin

Paul Wotton

Adam Lallana

Matt Paterson

Marek Saganowski

Substitutions:

Oscar Gobern for Matt Paterson 70

Simon Gillett for Lloyd James 75

Jake Thomson for Morgan Schneiderlin 83

On the bench:

GoalkeeperBart Bialkowski

Defender Ollie Lancashire

Defender/Midfielder Jake Thomson

Midfielder Simon Gillett

Midfielder Oscar Gobern

Midfielder Lee Holmes

Midfielder Anthony Pulis

That bench!

Pardew's first competitive match:

Kelvin Davis

Chris Perry

Wayne Thomas

Dan Harding

Lloyd James

Graeme Murty

Morgan Schneiderlin

Paul Wotton

Adam Lallana

Matt Paterson

Marek Saganowski

Substitutions:

Oscar Gobern for Matt Paterson70

Simon Gillett for Lloyd James75

Jake Thomson for Morgan Schneiderlin83

On the bench:

GoalkeeperBart Bialkowski

Defender Ollie Lancashire

Defender/Midfielder Jake Thomson

Midfielder Simon Gillett

Midfielder Oscar Gobern

Midfielder Lee Holmes

Midfielder Anthony Pulis

That bench!

What ever happened to Lloyd James wasn't he touted as a future Welsh international?

What ever happened to Lloyd James wasn't he touted as a future Welsh international?

Pardew also said (off camera so not under pressure to do so) that he was one of the best passers of the ball he'd worked with.

In fairness to the lad, I remember him having a decent delivery. A few of the youngsters from that season would probably turn out a lot better had they come through nowadays, for example.

Truly forgot Danny Seaborne existed

Felt sorry for Seaborne, as he'd only began to get a regular starting place when he had ended up in hospital after the attack in town. By the time he recovered I think we were in the Premier League so had moved on. A bit like Lee Barnard, I always felt he could have cut in the Championship but both careers went backwards from us after L1.

this thread is a good reprise of the end of the beginning ..of the way back up to the Prem.

Some went on to greater things, whilst many others fell by the wayside. I really dislike those comments who point out .." he wasn't good enough "(for the Prem.)

Everyone has their level, and many of those who didn't make it to the Prem side still DAJFU at L1 and Championship level. Hammond and Guly come to mind.

others like ; Kelvin Davis, Fonte, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Lambert and Puncheon all made it back up to the top level from L1.

others left their mark along the way.... Jonno Quick's (Forte) only contribution may have been his 2 goal lifesaver in the MK Dons game, and Jos Hooiveld scored a goal in each game against West Ham.... that won us 4 points in the Championship season, and we finished above them with automatic promotion.

Few fans ever suggested that Billy Sharp was really good enough for the Prem......but he scored 8 goals in the last 8 games in that same season, just at the time when Rickie Lambert's form was really poor and he couldn't hit a barn door from 6 yards.

They all deserve credit for their individual efforts - even those whose only contribution may have been a goal line clearance in an L1 game. Bless 'em all.

Edited by david in sweden

how the **** we didn't **** that league is beyond me. Regardless of where we were when NA joined, not winning the league that year was a travesty.

...wanted to check back ....two factors....

Brighton (to their credit) played very consistantly throughout that Championship season, whilst Saints dropped a lot of points around Christmas / New Year.

in fact .....we won only one league game of six matches in that period.

In the notorious match at Brighton, we played without the suspended Schneiderlin and Rickie Lambert was red-carded after HT (for a very dubious incident) We lost (what can be called a 6 pointer) by 0-3 . After suspension, RL scored only once in the next 5 games ..and we didn't pick up real form again until February...

Aside from two excellent hat-tricks later on ...Lambert was very inconsistant towards the end, but (thankfully) Billy Sharp came in and scored 8 in the last 8 games .... ................. ** whilst Rickie managed just 3 goals in the same period.

** this is not a criticism of RL whose career was exceptional...it's just "statistics"..and YES ...we should have won the title, in the end I was just glad of the promotion.

Edited by david in sweden

...wanted to check back ....two factors....

Brighton (to their credit) played very consistantly throughout that Championship season, whilst Saints dropped a lot of points around Christmas / New Year.

in fact .....we won only one league game of six matches in that period.

In the notorious match at Brighton, we played without the suspended Schneiderlin and Rickie Lambert was red-carded after HT (for a very dubious incident) We lost (what can be called a 6 pointer) by 0-3 . After suspension, RL scored only once in the next 5 games ..and we didn't pick up real form again until February...

Aside from two excellent hat-tricks later on ...Lambert was very inconsistant towards the end, but (thankfully) Billy Sharp came in and scored 8 in the last 8 games .... ................. ** whilst Rickie managed just 3 goals in the same period.

** this is not a criticism of RL whose career was exceptional...it's just "statistics"..and YES ...we should have won the title, in the end I was just glad of the promotion.

I'm on about League 1, not the Championship (which was won by Reading, not Brighton)...

I'm on about League 1, not the Championship (which was won by Reading, not Brighton)...

Yes, now I see that you were. Some of the other posts refer to both L1 and Championship - and I guess I lost track.

as for the reason we didn't win the L1 title.....The first two home games (0-1 to Plymouth and 1-1 v. Orient) weren't a good start, and despite the 4-0 win at Bristol Rovers, Alan Pardew got the boot the following day (for reasons never properly explained).

Nigel Adkins start was a real nightmare with only 1 point for the first 12 (including a home defeat to Rochdale :blush:) after which time we did pick up, with the only really poor result being a later home defeat to Brentford.

Had the start been better, we would certainly have gone into Christmas at the top with a big points lead, as it was I was pleased to get the promotion anyway, but it was those first two months that dictated the rest of the season.