BP Oil spill

Thedelldays

Anyone else fed up with the anti British rhetoric coming from the states?

I have rarely or even ever heard anyone call BP British Petroleum. Now the yanks/Obama can't stop saying it

Funny how when I disaster happens close to home, the yanks expect everyone move heaven and earth to take the blame. Funny how this is never the case when a yank blows up a UK soldier or an american bank is largely responsible for the worlds financial crisis...!!!

Whilst they are carrying on with their anti-British tones they would do well to remember that BP is something like 43% US owned

Totally agree. I read yesterday that c.40% of American pension funds have a significant stake in BP too, so Obama's hypocritical rhetoric is affecting his own people.

I also don't see him tearing into Halliburton (the american company who supplied the faulty part in the first place) with as much vigor either. Funny that.

Totally agree. I read yesterday that c.40% of American pension funds have a significant stake in BP too, so Obama's hypocritical rhetoric is affecting his own people.

I also don't see him tearing into Halliburton (the american company who supplied the faulty part in the first place) with as much vigor either. Funny that.

The same Halliburtonthat has links with D1ck Cheney no less.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/62899,business,****-cheney-halliburton-implicated-in-bp-deepwater-horizon-oil-spill

Nope. I just think it's paranoia. Doesn't matter who the companies are, or where they're from, the comments are all perfectly valid IMO. It's a devastating situation and major lessons need to be learnt.

Points about the other companies involved are valid too... but everyone involved from BP to TransOcean and Halliburton, need to stop the blame game, and work out what went wrong and why. As usual though, it seems short-term politics, profit and popularity issues come before corporate, social and environmental responsibilities.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I think the vilifying is going too far at the moment. BP have done everything that could have possibly been done. If Obama doesn't like it, he should have stepped in. I'm pretty sure the pipes and that that burst were American made anyways...

Edited by Saintandy666

I have rarely or even ever heard anyone call BP British Petroleum. Now the yanks/Obama can't stop saying it

It's no longer British Petroleum, I *believe*that BP is the official name.

I'm not sure it's anti British TDD, just plain old political ******. Obama has gone way down in my estimations on this one along with his democrate senators. "I'll keep the boot on the throat of BP until they pay up every dime" WTF. They've never said they wouldn't pay.

If you live by the sword die by it. The US allowed this deep water drilling due to their thirst for oil. You can't have it both ways, there will always be accidents, this was only a matter of time really.

In regards to BP stopping paying their dividends, I'm not sure how they could do that through legal recourse. One could say to Obama, ensure that banks don't pay dividends as we're still cleaning up that mess!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, I think the vilifying is going to far at the moment. BP have done everything that could have possibly been done. If Obama doesn't like it, he should have stepped in. I'm pretty sure the pipes and that that burst were American made anyways...

I agree Andy...

Democrat on radio last night, BP and their leadership have been irresponsible. He repeated that several times. How have they been irresponsible?? Jerk. It's in their best interests to stop this leak ASAP FFS!

It's no longer British Petroleum, I *believe*that BP is the official name.

I'm not sure it's anti British TDD, just plain old political ******. Obama has gone way down in my estimations on this one along with his democrate senators. "I'll keep the boot on the throat of BP until they pay up every dime" WTF. They've never said they wouldn't pay.

If you live by the sword die by it. The US allowed this deep water drilling due to their thirst for oil. You can't have it both ways, there will always be accidents, this was only a matter of time really.

In regards to BP stopping paying their dividends, I'm not sure how they could do that through legal recourse. One could say to Obama, ensure that banks don't pay dividends as we're still cleaning up that mess!

well, obama keeps calling it British Petroleum.!!!

he has to satisfy the frenzy and blame someone...

I heard on the radio last night, clips from people in the states..MANY were saying things like "brits suck" etc

how many were even aware that the B in BP once (or does) stand for British..?

are they even aware that the company is nearly half owned by the US..?

well, Obama has to try and turn around his popularity nose dive that has been going on..

I wish cameron would pick up the phone and ask Obama to stop using the word "British" and remind him that this week, more soldiers died in their help of our "american cousins" war on terror...

Edited by Thedelldays

well, obama keeps calling it British Petroleum.!!!

he has to satisfy the frenzy and blame someone...

I heard on the radio last night, clips from people in the states..MANY were saying things like "brits suck" etc

how many were even aware that the B in BP once (or does) stand for British..?

are they even aware that the company is nearly half owned by the US..?

well, Obama has to try and turn around his popularity nose dive that has been going on..

He does yes, sucks really though. Like I say, populist slagging off for political purposes. I know alot of Americans, most are assholes, very few that are reasonable. They really ought to try and look at things a bit more objectively.

I can see my FB status now, British Petroleum 2 USA 0. LOL

Some interesting stuff in this articleI found , make your own mind up;

Options to plug the BP oil spill available, but Obama ignores them

Consider;

-Natural oil eating bacteria was successfully used to clean up the ocean and shores after the Exxon Valdez accident. To date, the company which produces up to 200,000 gallons a day of the oil eating bacteria has not had their phone calls returned by Obama's White House or BP.

-Kevin Costner has a small fleet of oil cleaning centrifuges at the ready. This device actually recovers lost oil. Again, Obama's White House is dithering and BP will not return Costner's appeals. Costner testified in front of Congress that he was ready to help on day one of the spill over 50 days ago.

-The Dutch government offered to help with the spill on day one. Obama and BP told them "no thanks" over 50 days ago. The Dutch have fleets of oil recovery barges and sand berm protection floats at the ready. Over 50 days of dithering.

-BP's first attempted fix was to drop a 4 story tall steel & concrete box on the leak. The siphon on the top of the box froze and would not take up the oil. Okay...so??? How bout leaving the damn 4 story concrete box on top of the leaking pipes?

-A 1920 maritime law prevents the US Navy from deploying any assistance to the scene. Obama could wave this relic law of the sea and use the Navy's expertise in deep waters. Obama will not waive the law. Why not? If Ted Kennedy can call in the US Navy to find JFK Jr's downed airplane, how come Obama cannot call in the Navy? What is stopping him?

-Governor Jindal has been begging Obama for supplies to shield his state's beaches. Over 50 days after the request Obama is still dithering.

-Obama declared a State of Emergency for the non-existent threat of Swine Flu. Governor Jindal declared a State of Emergency...how come Obama has not?

These are but a few of the many things Obama could be doing. Instead, he is looking for someone's "ass to kick" and feigning anger.

During the Iraq War, President Bush sent in Red Adair's oil capping company into Kuwait. Red Adair's private company capped 628 sabotaged, booby-trapped, and blown up burning rigs in less than 9 months.

Obama has capped exactly 0 oil wells in almost 2 months.

How's that government boot on the throat of BP working out for ya?

Some interesting stuff in this articleI found , make your own mind up;

Options to plug the BP oil spill available, but Obama ignores them

Consider;

-Natural oil eating bacteria was successfully used to clean up the ocean and shores after the Exxon Valdez accident. To date, the company which produces up to 200,000 gallons a day of the oil eating bacteria has not had their phone calls returned by Obama's White House or BP.

-Kevin Costner has a small fleet of oil cleaning centrifuges at the ready. This device actually recovers lost oil. Again, Obama's White House is dithering and BP will not return Costner's appeals. Costner testified in front of Congress that he was ready to help on day one of the spill over 50 days ago.

-The Dutch government offered to help with the spill on day one. Obama and BP told them "no thanks" over 50 days ago. The Dutch have fleets of oil recovery barges and sand berm protection floats at the ready. Over 50 days of dithering.

-BP's first attempted fix was to drop a 4 story tall steel & concrete box on the leak. The siphon on the top of the box froze and would not take up the oil. Okay...so??? How bout leaving the damn 4 story concrete box on top of the leaking pipes?

-A 1920 maritime law prevents the US Navy from deploying any assistance to the scene. Obama could wave this relic law of the sea and use the Navy's expertise in deep waters. Obama will not waive the law. Why not? If Ted Kennedy can call in the US Navy to find JFK Jr's downed airplane, how come Obama cannot call in the Navy? What is stopping him?

-Governor Jindal has been begging Obama for supplies to shield his state's beaches. Over 50 days after the request Obama is still dithering.

-Obama declared a State of Emergency for the non-existent threat of Swine Flu. Governor Jindal declared a State of Emergency...how come Obama has not?

These are but a few of the many things Obama could be doing. Instead, he is looking for someone's "ass to kick" and feigning anger.

During the Iraq War, President Bush sent in Red Adair's oil capping company into Kuwait. Red Adair's private company capped 628 sabotaged, booby-trapped, and blown up burning rigs in less than 9 months.

Obama has capped exactly 0 oil wells in almost 2 months.

How's that government boot on the throat of BP working out for ya?

Written by a Republican no doubt, but if some of those are true it's fairly shocking. Capping a well @ 5000ft below see level is slightly different to those at ground level though!

Bastards still haven't paid for a full clean up yet. Oh and don't get started on Agent Orange still causing birth defects 30-40 years later.

and the effects of radiation post Chernobyl and depleted uranium rounds during the gulf wars / Iraq.......it is a crappy world.

Written by a Republican no doubt, but if some of those are true it's fairly shocking. Capping a well @ 5000ft below see level is slightly different to those at ground level though!

Agreed that it is very very right wing but some of the above are, as you say, quite shocking if true.

The point a lot of peeps over here seem to be missing, isn't so much the spew it's self, although that's looking more and more like gross negligence every day as more info comes out....It's not even all the failed attempts to plug the hole that's angered so many.

What's got right up peoples noses and ****ed so many peeps off is BP's total and complete apathy and comparative non action towards mitigating the damage...Gross incompetence would be to complementary a term....They haven't even done 10% of what would be considered and acceptable effort toward minimizing the affect of the pollution.

The American "Can Do" attitude just can't contemplate the under resourcing, lack of urgency and extended beurocracy that BP are displaying toward preventing the Oil from causing irreparable damage...Then you have BP's CEO with his British accent and mannerism, insulting everyone at every given opportunity...and then add to that, BP's failed atempts at deception and cover ups and you have what you have.

There were literaly hundreds of things BP could have done to mitigate a lot of the damage, but instead sat on their hands while talking down the amount of oil being leaked they even refused to release the under water videos untill they were threatend over it...by the time peeps here realised they weren't up to the job, it was too late.

BP are being highlighted as a British company because BP are being so....well, 'British'

Then of course just to make matters worse we have Mr 'style over substance', Chairman clueless 'O' as President...Anyone else in the Hot seat would have already kicked BP's arse black and blue by now.

I see some peeps on here are contemplating buying shares in BP ready for the 'bounce back'...I wouldnt bother guys....There are lawyer adverts on every street corner and radio comercials every 15 mins around these parts...by the time the feds have finished with them and Chairman 'O' has made an example of them. Then the Gulf States have had what's left.....and then the locals have picked over the bones there won't be anything left bar a rotten carcass.

"America needs BP as much as BP needs America"....Tony "i want my life back" Hayward, BP CEO.....LMFAO!

What's got right up peoples noses and ****ed so many peeps off is BP's total and complete apathy and comparative non action towards mitigating the damage...Gross incompetence would be to complementary a term....They haven't even done 10% of what would be considered and acceptable effort toward minimizing the affect of the pollution.

Completely agree with this...

BP are being highlighted as a British company because BP are being so....well, 'British'

I'm British, and BP sure as hell haven't acted as I would. The stereotype fits your argument, but is simply not fair. There are plenty of people in the UK and all over the world who feel the same, it's not just Americans who are upset. I accept those are directly affected will clearly have more direct reason to be annoyed, but this is NOT an issue about nationality, and the more people try to make it one, the more it diverts from the real issues.

Edited by Minty

To be fair BP does stand for British Petrolium.

BP plc (formerly British Petroleum). To be fair, they're such a massive organisation the British part doesn't really ring true, hence the name change in 2001.

British Petroleum merged with Amoco (formerly Standard Oil of Indiana) in December 1998,[29] becoming BP Amoco plc.[30] In 2000, BP Amoco acquired Arco (Atlantic Richfield Co.)[31] and Burmah Castrol plc.[32] In 2001 the company formally renamed itself as BP plc[30] and adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum," which remains in use today. It states that BP was never meant to be an abbreviation of its tagline

BP plc (formerly British Petroleum). To be fair, they're such a massive organisation the British part doesn't really ring true, hence the name change in 2001.

British Petroleum merged with Amoco (formerly Standard Oil of Indiana) in December 1998,[29] becoming BP Amoco plc.[30] In 2000, BP Amoco acquired Arco (Atlantic Richfield Co.)[31] and Burmah Castrol plc.[32] In 2001 the company formally renamed itself as BP plc[30] and adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum," which remains in use today. It states that BP was never meant to be an abbreviation of its tagline

That's just branding/marketing ******, everyone knows why it's called BP.

This is all about politics and wanting to score points.

Most people in my area and on the tv just refer to BP and don't give a stuff about being Brit or otherwise.

This is a first for this type of spill and fixing the leak is another first as it's so deep.

Obama is showing the world that despite his election promises he is just another politician.

The American "Can Do" attitude just can't contemplate the under resourcing, lack of urgency and extended beurocracy that BP are displaying toward preventing the Oil from causing irreparable damage...Then you have BP's CEO with his British accent and mannerism, insulting everyone at every given opportunity...and then add to that, BP's failed atempts at deception and cover ups and you have what you have.

George, the American can do attitude is not what I see in my company. Every guy I know who gets expat'd out to the US succedes because their us counterparts are so useless/incompetent. If that's what being British does for you then great, give me some more. Being American is shouting the odds, shouting people down like the big O and some of the other idiotic senators I've heard on the radio and seen on TV have been doing.

While I agree that BP have not handled the situation particularly well (understatement of the century) , isn't the most important thing to get the well capped off. Blame game should come afterwards. While the problem is ongoing you don't do a root cause analysis.

We may well find that the company who BP had running the well are truely to blame? But repurcussions some come afterwards.

That's just branding/marketing ******, everyone knows why it's called BP.

Ah, no it's not. They may be HQ'd in London, but they as much British as I'm Aussie. 42% of the company is owned by American shareholders. Same as Cadbury wasn't really a British company when sold, over 56% of the staff were based abroad and more than half of their products were made abroad. It's just somewhere to pay taxes.

Ah, no it's not. They may be HQ'd in London, but they as much British as I'm Aussie. 42% of the company is owned by American shareholders. Same as Cadbury wasn't really a British company when sold, over 56% of the staff were based abroad and more than half of their products were made abroad. It's just somewhere to pay taxes.

Just because a company has foreign shareholders doesn't mean it's foreign. Every PLC in the country will have shareholders who don't live in Britain.

Obama should start the ass-kicking ASAP. If BP goes down, I won't miss it. Same goes for the rest of the nasty oil companies who have been raping the world for so long.

I agree, I hope Obama throws the book at them, and I think he will. This will cost BP 10s of billions.

is it just old people that pay into pension schemes..?

:rolleyes:

No, but if the value of the pension drops it just means you get less when you are old no?

Anyway if BP goes bust then all the other oil companies will benefit from it, thus increasing pensions linked to those.

No, but if the value of the pension drops it just means you get less when you are old no?

Anyway if BP goes bust then all the other oil companies will benefit from it, thus increasing pensions linked to those.

probably yep, mostly Yank owned whose profits go into the US economy and we get no benifut as a nation. I think I heard BP pay 6billion tax to our economy last year.So when your NI goes up to make the shortfall then dont complain.

This is a disaster for in Britain and so we should hope BP come out of this not too damaged.

Funny how when I disaster happens close to home, the yanks expect everyone move heaven and earth to take the blame. Funny how this is never the case when a yank blows up a UK soldier or an american bank is largely responsible for the worlds financial crisis...!!!

Whilst they are carrying on with their anti-British tones they would do well to remember that BP is something like 43% US owned

Highly predictable post from TDD :-)

IMO, all this talk of "British" and "American" is completely missing the point.

This is all about a multi-national corporation that make millions per day committing a gigantic blunder, then worrying far more about their bottom line than getting of their ar5es and cleaning up the mess. You'd think that a corporation as big as them would have the resources to not take this long to cap this thing? Not a contingency plan that something like this might feasibly happen, therefore what to do if such a thing occurs?

No, I'll bet BP will put far more energy and effort into cleaning up their own public image than worrying about the environmental catastrophe they have caused.