Eric Cantona to bring down 'the system'

RonManager

He is correct with his central tenet which is that protests like the recent one in London are impotent and really rather pathetic and become the plaything of disgusting unwashed knobbers. He is right that the form of protest he advocates could have far greater impact.

But it's a **** idea.

He is correct with his central tenet which is that protests like the recent one in London are impotent and really rather pathetic and become the plaything of disgusting unwashed knobbers. He is right that the form of protest he advocates could have far greater impact.

But it's a **** idea.

It's not really. It's a good idea in principle. The only way to release the stranglehold of the global banks is for everyone to withdraw their money simultaneously, as the figures on the accounts are not backed up by hard currency, or by anything come to that.

Of course it will never happen, because if everyone did do this there would be utter chaos. World markets would collapse, stocks and shares would become worthless, businesses would shut down as they would have no cash to pay their employees; but most of all everyone would actually have to go out into the world and fend for themselves and that is probably the main reason why people would never follow through with it.

It's not really. It's a good idea in principle. The only way to release the stranglehold of the global banks is for everyone to withdraw their money simultaneously, as the figures on the accounts are not backed up by hard currency, or by anything come to that.

Of course it will never happen, because if everyone did do this there would be utter chaos. World markets would collapse, stocks and shares would become worthless, businesses would shut down as they would have no cash to pay their employees; but most of all everyone would actually have to go out into the world and fend for themselves and that is probably the main reason why people would never follow through with it.

tbh, the main reason I wouldnt go through with it is that Ive got f*ck all in the bank anyway ;)

Sorry, can you reconcile the two bold bits for me please?

Sorry, can you reconcile the two bold bits for me please?

I mean it's a good idea if anybody is ever going to challenge the global domination of the major banks. The only way to hurt them is in their pocket. Of course, we could just carry on with things as they are with banks screwing everyone over, making obscene profits and basically controlling government policy; or we can stand up to them and say "We've done it your way for too long, now it's time to do it our way". That is why it is a good idea.

The obvious downside is that if banks were to all shut down then so would all businesses, and if that were to happen then mankind would be thrown back into the dark ages with everyone having to hunt and forage for their own food instead of just popping down the supermarket. I personally don't think that would be such a bad thing TBH, because maybe everyone would finally get over their innate materialism. Perhaps it would help the massive over-population problem we have as well as many simply would not be able to cope. Can you imagine if the playstation generation actually had to go out and fend for themselves? It's quite a shame what skills mankind has lost over the five thousand odd years since the dawn of civilisation (I used italics there because I personally think that forcing people to live in such confined areas with other humans and caring only about their own material gains is far from 'civilised' but that's another matter).

I mean it's a good idea if anybody is ever going to challenge the global domination of the major banks. The only way to hurt them is in their pocket. Of course, we could just carry on with things as they are with banks screwing everyone over, making obscene profits and basically controlling government policy; or we can stand up to them and say "We've done it your way for too long, now it's time to do it our way". That is why it is a good idea.

The obvious downside is that if banks were to all shut down then so would all businesses, and if that were to happen then mankind would be thrown back into the dark ages with everyone having to hunt and forage for their own food instead of just popping down the supermarket. I personally don't think that would be such a bad thing TBH, because maybe everyone would finally get over their innate materialism. Perhaps it would help the massive over-population problem we have as well as many simply would not be able to cope. Can you imagine if the playstation generation actually had to go out and fend for themselves? It's quite a shame what skills mankind has lost over the five thousand odd years since the dawn of civilisation (I used italics there because I personally think that forcing people to live in such confined areas with other humans and caring only about their own material gains is far from 'civilised' but that's another matter).

Why don't you go and live in the forest somewhere then? Build a little shack, catch your dinner... nothing's stopping you.

Maybe you actually quite like "civilisation"?

I agree with his aims, but his idea is ******, the cash machines would just run out of notes and nobody will be able to withdraw anything.

The banks are taking the ****, you've got the Irish government begging for money whilst banks pay out billions in bonuses. The banks are just sucking the money out of the system, it HAS to come to a head soon.

Capitalism is fine as long as governments can keep control of it, at the moment big business is controlling governments and it will implode.

Edited by aintforever

Nothing wrong with bringing the current crisis to a head early - would save us all a lot of grief in the long term. And it wouldn't mean the end of the world, just a very painful readjustment back to reality. If you want to know what happens when countries can't afford to pay their debts and default (restructure), look at Argentina and Russia.

IMO, what has just happened with Ireland (bailout) is only postponing the inevitable. Next country to be put under pressure will be Portugal, which will be bailed out, then Spain - which is too big to be bailed out. Germany will refuse unless the bondholders (banks etc.) accept a restructuring of their debt. This means European banks will go under and with any luck, the final decision will be made by the IMF to not bail them out. Of course, the IMF might decide to bail them out -which will result in its own problems for the larger global banks, as I don't see the US, Japan, China being prepared/able to afford a second bailout.

I don't see many Martians queuing up to save the IMF - so this is when the story has to end. Finally, when the people/institutions who lent the money accept that they aren't going to get it all back (the money don't exist), and governments/people let them fail.

Amen to that.

Why don't you go and live in the forest somewhere then? Build a little shack, catch your dinner... nothing's stopping you.

Maybe you actually quite like "civilisation"?

Well actually, everything is stopping me, seeing as I'm not a rich landowner with acres of forest. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to go and live and hunt on other people's land in this day and age.

Edited by Sheaf Saint