Cognitive Enhancement Drugs

dune

Just been watching a really interesting feature on Newsnight. It is basically about drugs that enhance the ability of the brain. There is no question that the brain has far much more ability than we actually use and that certain drugs increase it's power. As far as i'm concerned the various drugs along the lines of speed achieve this, with m-cat probably being the most effective (now banned) and stuff like mpa (still legal as far as i'm aware) not so intense, but still very effective. The problem with these drugs is that they have side effects and they can't be taken regularly as they'll f/ck you up, and because they are not controlled you have no idea what you're getting, but there must be a safe solution and the benefits of finding this are immense. Basically it's just a matter of unlocking the potential of the human brain and thus the potential of humanity. I just hope that the government allow more scientific research and trials in this area because it is the next frontier for mankind to conquer.

When they put tonights Newsnight on i player I would recommend everyone watches it.

Caffeine works for me but then I dont drink tea or coffee and so I have not built up a tolerance towards it. Yes, those other drugs do help 'unlock' parts of your brain that might not often use or at least use in the same way but such 'unatural' stimulation is always likely to lead to a crash of sorts.

I had a few nights on M-Cat and thought it was actually pretty decent is small quantities. One day my mate bought 10g of the stuff and we had a bit of a binge between 5 of us on a Friday night. I couldn't stop gurning until Thursday the following week which wasn't much fun. Much more worrying than M-Cat though is the fact that there is a drug called AMT still readily available on the internet. I had a tiny bit a few months back to shut my mate up who was banging on about it all night and was basically stuck in the foetal position but awake, tripping my nuts off for about 36 hours. I would urge people not to try it.

There is no question that the brain has far much more ability than we actually use

I'm afraid that's simply not true, the 'we only use 10% of our brains' myth was disproved years ago by simple scanning. There is no wasted space in the brain, even the simplest tasks activate over half of your brain tissue.

and that certain drugs increase it's power.

Yes, stimulants. They don't make the brain do anything it doesn't already do, they just make it faster or more pronounced, by stimulating the production of a specific hormone. But the idea that taking something will somehow enable you to unlock a previously unused part of your brain is science fiction, with the emphasis on fiction.

I had a few nights on M-Cat and thought it was actually pretty decent is small quantities. One day my mate bought 10g of the stuff and we had a bit of a binge between 5 of us on a Friday night. I couldn't stop gurning until Thursday the following week which wasn't much fun. Much more worrying than M-Cat though is the fact that there is a drug called AMT still readily available on the internet. I had a tiny bit a few months back to shut my mate up who was banging on about it all night and was basically stuck in the foetal position but awake, tripping my nuts off for about 36 hours. I would urge people not to try it.

M-cat was the drug of the decade without a doubt, but it was also harsh and I think it'd cause a lot of problems to internal organs if done a lot.

Edited by dune

Just been watching a really interesting feature on Newsnight. It is basically about drugs that enhance the ability of the brain. There is no question that the brain has far much more ability than we actually use and that certain drugs increase it's power. As far as i'm concerned the various drugs along the lines of speed achieve this, with m-cat probably being the most effective (now banned) and stuff like mpa (still legal as far as i'm aware) not so intense, but still very effective. The problem with these drugs is that they have side effects and they can't be taken regularly as they'll f/ck you up, and because they are not controlled you have no idea what you're getting, but there must be a safe solution and the benefits of finding this are immense. Basically it's just a matter of unlocking the potential of the human brain and thus the potential of humanity. I just hope that the government allow more scientific research and trials in this area because it is the next frontier for mankind to conquer.

When they put tonights Newsnight on i player I would recommend everyone watches it.

judging by most of your posts these drugs dont enhance the brain

You could be a guinea pig in any trials, what with having such a low benchmark to start with. You never know, by the end of the trial you might have conquered joined up writing, or acquired reasonable debating skills.

M-cat was the drug of the decade without a doubt, but it was also harsh and I think it'd cause a lot of problems to internal organs if done a lot.

Well the fact I was buzzing for 6 days from such a relatively small amount compared to other narcotics was certainly a bit of an eye opener (if you pardon the pun). That cannot be good for you. That said, AMT was much worse. I had a tiny, tiny bit of that and had I have gone gung-ho and dropped a gram straight away I reckon it would have caused permanent damage.

Well the fact I was buzzing for 6 days from such a relatively small amount compared to other narcotics was certainly a bit of an eye opener (if you pardon the pun). That cannot be good for you. That said, AMT was much worse. I had a tiny, tiny bit of that and had I have gone gung-ho and dropped a gram straight away I reckon it would have caused permanent damage.

Never affected me that extent. Sleep is of course impossible until it's worn off but I found that after say 12 hours of abstinance I slept fine and not really much of a comedown apart from being a bit grumpy.