Winter sun (February)

shirleysfc

Canaries. 4 hour flight. Hot and breezy.

this.

An off the wall idea is Easyjet to Amman in Jordan then down to Aqaba, a day or so at the Dead Sea in a resort, a day at Jerash and a day at Petra which is amongst THE greatest places you can see.

Stay out of Amman if possible, BUT seen some good deals on flights there

this.

An off the wall idea is Easyjet to Amman in Jordan then down to Aqaba, a day or so at the Dead Sea in a resort, a day at Jerash and a day at Petra which is amongst THE greatest places you can see.

I would recommend anyone to try to see Petra sometime - it is better than some of the wonders of the world.

this.

Stay out of Amman if possible, BUT seen some good deals on flights there

Now that's a really good idea. I might look into that for October 1/2 term.

Any suggestions for accommodation in Aqaba or on the Dead Sea?

Me and the ex-wife always used to go away in the Feb half term (being as she was a teacher not a pupil....lol)

Canaries invariably had sunny days, but Tenerife could be a bit temperamental

Morocco - Agadir good for the beach, Marrakesh 10 degrees cooler but as you are at a higher altitude it didn't feel that much colder

Malta - pleasant but only around 18C on average - the locals will still be in their winter woolies at that temperature!

Cyprus - great coastal but could be chilly inland - in fact you might even have snow on Mt Troodos (can't be bothered to check the spelling)

Madeira - same sort of temperature as the Canaries but being further into the atlantic it could get a bit wild and wooly at times.

Tunisia - similar to Malta, weather wise

Crete/Corfu - but too early in the season, same as the Balearics, but you might strike lucky, but then again you might as well go to the south of Spain

Never got to Egypt, but I'm told that can be very pleasant if you head down to the more touristy places.

Gambia - was on the list of places to try, but the marriage didn't last that long!

Now that's a really good idea. I might look into that for October 1/2 term.

Any suggestions for accommodation in Aqaba or on the Dead Sea?

Aqaba was a long time ago, stayed in a not on the beach resort type hotel which was cheap.

Dead Sea stayed at the Movenpick Resort which was really nice. You can do Petra in a day from either, (and you need a day) but the "village" itself (5 years ago) was a sh1t hole and the hotels looked pretty skanky. Have done it by Bus tour, self drive with mates and with a private driver the times I used to go up there for work. Oh have a BIG breakfast and take a sandwich/emergency rations and some isotonic drinks and good walking shoes. It ain't somewhere I'd recommend having a lunch, the place is ENORMOUS. Oh and you HAVE to do the horse ride wearing khaki and a "cowboy style" hat :rolleyes:

In Amman would recommend a high end hotel more for security with the Syrian refugees everywhere, apart from the Amphitheatre and museum not a lot to recommend it these days certainly would not recommend wandering around little alleys alone these days.

If you do some research plenty of other places to see, Mount of Olives etc, some Dead Sea Scrolls

You can do Jerash in a day from there easily.

These days I use hotels.com or bookings.com rather than travelocity/expedia if that helps. No idea on prices though most mid range hotels will arrange airport transfers/ car with driver for transfers, wouldn't recommend taxis or self drive. Arab driving makes the Italians look sane on the roads of Naples.

Oh, and yeah it is stupid, but you have to climb ALL the way up to the top at Petra (after the Indiana Jones bit then the Roman bit) Then you have to go higher again to look across into Israel and sing....

I looked over Jordan, what did I see?

Egypt? Red Sea resorts are fine, plenty of package hols available Cairo is more emotionally up and down than a match day thread these days

Edited by dubai_phil

Off to see Barcelona at the end of February. I have been in March before and it was lovely, I might be a bit early this year...

Avoid week commencing 25th Feb. Mobile World Congress is on and there will be around 60,000 mobile phone people in the City. Flights and hotels massively expensive and more pick pockets than usual. Oh and Samsung adverts everywhere...

I am spoiling the wife for February half term

Long weekend in Oslo

Should I bring the mankini?

Buy some cross country skis, get on the T-bane up to Frognerseter, choose a direction and off you go on lovely, prepared paths, an easy, cheap way to enjoy the snow and the time of year the same way the Norwegians do. Otherwise you can stay in the city and spend a stupid amount of money on overpriced bars and restaurants.

You can even pack a sheet sleeping bag and sleep over at cabins and hostels for very little money up in the mountains not far from Oslo. People think Norway's expensive, but it's cheap if you do it like the Norwegians do.