O2 Arena travel advice.

Jeff Le Taxi

Taking eldest daughter and three friends to London's O2 arena in a couple of weeks to see one direction..anyone done this lately? Not sure if its best to park up at Richmond and tube in? Any parking near the O2 ?..

Not actually going in with them to watch the show! Thank god.

Any surviving pie and mash shops nearby?

Is there a route that avoids the congestion charge?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Jeff

How are you old mate? Don't you have a taxi? Does this not mean you are able park or wait where other people can't? If not, I would not recommend parking in Richmond, that is miles away. You need to be somewhere on the Jubilee line. If you are leaving the car, I would suggest Canada Water as the parking there is a lot better than most places. There is even a large shopping centre near the station. If you don't want to drive into London, park somewhere like Motspur Park (pop in for a cup of tea if you like) and take the overground to Waterloo and then the Jubilee Line. Motspur Park is the last station on the line with free parking and is also just off the A3 so you won't need to negotiate the London Traffic. Alternatively, Streatham also has free parking and regular trains to London Bridge. It is a bit of a sh!t hole though so you might prefer the other option.

When I went ( or rather I took the kids to 1D :bun: ) I parked at Osterley on the Piccadilly line and tubed it from there, about 50 mins.

It's right on the A4 as well so easy to get to.

But then again I was going back to Windsor afterwards and not back to Soton.

Tube was remarkable quick to get on afterwards as well, thought I would be queuing for ages.

The last couple of times I went there I was staying in a local hotel, so took the M25 south of London then the A20 into Greenwhich, that will avoid the con. charge. If you're not actually attending the gig :suspicious: you could arrange to meet you daughter in the public carpark right next to the O2, not the O2 carpark, but the one that serves the tube (it's also cheap weekend parking there).

Edited by Dimond Geezer
Hadn't finished before posting.

If you get a group saver train ticket, it works out 19 pound an adult and 2 quid a kid, including tube (MIght have gone up a bit in January) and is the easiest trip possible. Direct to Waterloo and four stops of the tube without changing. Not sure what petrol and parking would cost, but I would take the train every time.

Stick the kids in the concert and then you gave have a beer as well, while you wait.

Not sure where you are starting from but when we go (from Hindhead) we use A3/M25/A20/A102 following signs for Blackwell Tunnel. Parking is easy at the O2, use the station car park, think it is pay and display. Never had any problems getting in or out. There are quite a few places to eat and drink inside the O2 if you want as well.

Train to Waterloo then easy tube to O2. Went last year with kids to evening concert. Easily caught 2335 home to Southampton from Waterloo. Get there before 6 and you will easily get a restaurant, any later and it fills up rapidly. Parking can be done nearby but expensive

Not sure where you are starting from but when we go (from Hindhead) we use A3/M25/A20/A102 following signs for Blackwell Tunnel. Parking is easy at the O2, use the station car park, think it is pay and display. Never had any problems getting in or out. There are quite a few places to eat and drink inside the O2 if you want as well.

This. Cost me about £8 to park there last time I went, as opposed to the criminal £20 for pre booking via O2.

Thanks for the replies everyone ...travelling from Southampton sometime during the easter holidays, I thought of Richmond as I thought it was the closest tube from Southampton?

Thinking parking at O2 might be best option now, aa routeplanner quote 2.20 mins total travel time, seems excessive to me? Do they take traffic into consideration?

Also Emmerson does that pie n mash shop serve the green liquor sauce stuff on top?

Thanks for the replies everyone ...travelling from Southampton sometime during the easter holidays, I thought of Richmond as I thought it was the closest tube from Southampton?

Thinking parking at O2 might be best option now, aa routeplanner quote 2.20 mins total travel time, seems excessive to me? Do they take traffic into consideration?

Also Emmerson does that pie n mash shop serve the green liquor sauce stuff on top?

I drove there once, pretty much straight up to the Thames and then headed east, the most direct route on a map. It took 3 hours, bloody nightmare! And that was not really anybtraffic hold ups, just a trudge through the suburbs. I would recommend parking at Osterley for about £3.50 ish and then changing onto the Jubilee Line. Yeah it's a haul on the tube, about an hour, but Soton to Osterley is only an hour max, so you save an hour and about 10 quid parking at the O2, though obviously you have to buy the travel cards, off peak is about 8 quid I think? Basically, don't drive!

I drove there once, pretty much straight up to the Thames and then headed east, the most direct route on a map. It took 3 hours, bloody nightmare! And that was not really anybtraffic hold ups, just a trudge through the suburbs.

This is the method i tried first time, it doesn't work. The M25, A20 route is the easiest, i've done it in 1hr 50mins and the longest is 2hr 30mins.

If u are on the train.... With kids... Leave early... Also... One erection? Really... That needs to be addressed. They may be girls but they can still develop taste and a respect for talent! Their future cultural well being rests in your hands!

There is a really good traditional Pie and Mash shop in Greenwich town, a short drive or bus away from the O2

I like that one, they moved it a few shops down within the last few years. We were looking for it after visitng the Cutty Sark and museums last summer.

best bet is to drive to camden and stuff em inside black heart club to enjoy third rate death metal bands such as Basement Torture Killings & Raped By Pigs. The look on their little faces will make all worth while!

My youngest daughter would be in her element... had to take her to The Joiners to see Pierce The Veil! not sure whats worse, those screaming lunatics or One Direction!

If you get a group saver train ticket, it works out 19 pound an adult and 2 quid a kid, including tube (MIght have gone up a bit in January) and is the easiest trip possible. Direct to Waterloo and four stops of the tube without changing. Not sure what petrol and parking would cost, but I would take the train every time.

Stick the kids in the concert and then you gave have a beer as well, while you wait.

Sorry Gemmel didnt see this reply!

Is that for an adult and four fourteen year olds? like the idea of Pie n Mash with a couple of beers in Greenwich, whilst waiting.

I believe it does mate - v good pies in there. Its not far from the Cutty Sark if you want to while away some time also

Cheapest I can find with Groupsave is £98 for Me and the four girls..bit of a difference to the £27 you quoted ...am I missing something?