Has the UK gone mad?

Saint Martini

I really hate all this freedom of speech drivel. It is okay to a point, but you always get some total numpty that wants to use it purely to get attention for himself. It should be "Freedom of Speech, unless you are a dinlo, in which case common sense will kick in and you can fu(k off."

As is is The Lounge I am going to reply with a sensible point: Who will decide who is a dinlo? Will there be a committee set up to decide which people are allowed freedom of speech? Who will appoint this committee? Will it be paid for using PFI?

As is is The Lounge I am going to reply with a sensible point: Who will decide who is a dinlo? Will there be a committee set up to decide which people are allowed freedom of speech? Who will appoint this committee? Will it be paid for using PFI?

No. I don't think we need to go that far. What happened in this instance was proof of that. We have a system, a prat tried to get around it and prat was told to fu(k off. That should now be the end of it.

Obviously it won't be. If a good valid point is made that doesn't fit in with new wave modern PC values, then despite it being the popular choice of the masses, it has to be seen to be taken apart and destroyed, further weakening our way of running our country.

Geert Wilders refused entry to the UK

The guy's a complete idiot (IMHO) but he isn't so radical he should be refused entry to the UK? Talking about PC gone mad....

This is a sensible decision by the govt. in my opinion. With all the recent disruption about foriegn workers taking 'British' jobs (hmmm) the last thing this country needs is this knob cheese coming into the UK, and giving the right wing lunatics even more of an excuse to blame EVERYTHING on 'foreigners'.

This is a sensible decision by the govt. in my opinion. With all the recent disruption about foriegn workers taking 'British' jobs (hmmm) the last thing this country needs is this knob cheese coming into the UK, and giving the right wing lunatics even more of an excuse to blame EVERYTHING on 'foreigners'.

I did like the way you slipped that in to describe him.

:D

I'm a supporter of freedom of speech even though there's lots of speech I don't like.

Banning free expression of thought could be the first step on a dangerous road IMO.

So would you allow someone like Hitler access to screen a film about the evilness of Judaism?

I'm a supporter of freedom of speech even though there's lots of speech I don't like.

Banning free expression of thought could be the first step on a dangerous road IMO.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Let common sense prevail. He can just do one.

We don't need extreme Political Correctness to display our basic belief in Freedom of Speech. What happened to plain old fashioned respect? He has no respect for a group of people so we should exercise our right to not entertain him.

Yes, he is complete knob and yes his views are likely to cause grief among muslims and the UK could probably do without it but no government should intervene in such a manner. Its sets a precedent and gets you on a very slippery slope. If British politicians dissagree then debate the guy or rebuff his standpoints in other manners then sillencing him. Besides, this way he's getting more press coverage then he would have gotten otherwise.

Yes, he is complete knob and yes his views are likely to cause grief among muslims and the UK could probably do without it but no government should intervene in such a manner. Its sets a precedent and gets you on a very slippery slope. If British politicians dissagree then debate the guy or rebuff his standpoints in other manners then sillencing him. Besides, this way he's getting more press coverage then he would have gotten otherwise.

I was about to post along these lines but you've said it so much better than I could.

The denial of freedom of expression is one step along the road to fascism IMO.

Yadda yadda yadda.

We don't need extreme Political Correctness to display our basic belief in Freedom of Speech. What happened to plain old fashioned respect? He has no respect for a group of people so we should exercise our right to not entertain him.

Not sure I understand, isn't it "political correctness" that's kicked him out? It's liberalism that would allow him to speak. For what it's worth both terms are meaningless labels IMO.

I agree. You don't win an argument by sticking your fingers in your ears and not listening.

So would you allow someone like Hitler access to screen a film about the evilness of Judaism?

Yes

Correct.

I was about to post along these lines but you've said it so much better than I could.

The denial of freedom of expression is one step along the road to fascism IMO.

Correct.

Not sure I understand, isn't it "political correctness" that's kicked him out? It's liberalism that would allow him to speak. For what it's worth both terms are meaningless labels IMO.

I agree. You don't win an argument by sticking your fingers in your ears and not listening.

Correct.

The worrying thing is that the government's action has given him the oxygen of publicity and will encourage those that believe that we pander to Islamists at the expense of other points of view to get on their bandwagons.

Correct.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Dinlo.

I am afraid that's what you get with a totalitarian control freak at the helm.

The worrying thing is that the government's action has given him the oxygen of publicity and will encourage those that believe that we pander to Islamists at the expense of other points of view to get on their bandwagons.

On a serious note, you are absolutely spot on. Every news channel ran with this as a main story, Question Time devoted 20 minutes to it and apparently there have been hundreds of thousands of viewings of the film on youtube......you can't buy publicity like this.

So for all the "thought control police" politicians, this has spectacularly back fired.

Although this was aimed at myself, I applaud your use of the word. I feel it isn't said enough these days.

You'll be glad to know that the word dinlo is alive and well in Bedfordshire as it appears to be my neighbour's kids favourite insult.

So let me get this straight. The government lets all sorts of rabid hate-filled fascist gay-stoning, women-suppressing, intolerant evil Mohammedans in to the country but not the democratically elected representative of a fellow EU country who was invited here - where he was only two weeks ago - by two members of the House of Lords to host a private screening of a film which is widely available on the internet, and which I have now seen.

We mustn't offend the Mohammedans must we? Never mind that some of their number consistently insult non-adherents to their 'religion of peace'. Never mind that Britain has always been a place of free speech.

This country has gone crazy. What's the bet that Jacqui Smith - the most useless and corrupt waster ever to disgrace the home office - banned him just to take the heat of her expense claim. Grubby little pig with her fascist nose in the trough. Oink Oink Oink I had better get as much in my snout as I can before the game is up and I am kicked out of office.

This country is a f\/cking disgrace.

I have a couple of scouse sounding lads who are using the expression freely on their friends too.

It's prompted me to use the word more often too. Especially at work, where it attracts more confusion than offence at the moment, and offers less risk of disciplinary action than random use of

We need to get it out there again. I wish I had used it as part of my username now.

JohnnyDinloPants?

Greater use of the word could be just what the economy needs as a kick start. We've tried everything else - bailing out the banks, banning dodgy foreign politicians. Maybe all it needs is the re-introduction of old fashioned insults.

JohnnyDinloPants?

Greater use of the word could be just what the economy needs as a kick start. We've tried everything else - bailing out the banks, banning dodgy foreign politicians. Maybe all it needs is the re-introduction of old fashioned insults.

Good point. If those bankers were called "dinlo's" now and then we might be in better shape now. Even a carefully placed "spazz" would have helped.