Loan Players

Kingsland Red

Reading about Andy Carroll over the weekend, Liverpool don't want him , West Ham can't afford him etc got me thinking about our reliance on other club's players in the Liebherr era.

Although we have loaned out many players over the last few years , apart from Papa Waigo I don't think we have loaned anyone in for the short term fix, and I'm not even sure Papa was a loan signing.

An example of the confidence with which NC runs our club over the long term ?

Perhaps permanent signings are better than loan signings as they're more comitted to the club. I think Michael Antonio had a positive effect on us though, as he was a young player eager to get first team league football under his belt. We had a few shockers in the bleak years though...

Jos Hooiveld and Chaplow were initially short term loans. The move for Danny N'Guessan and Dale Stephens at the back end of our league 1 campaign also helped. (If only N'Guessan's goal at Charlton had counted....)

Initially shoring up the team after the takeover with Neil Trottman and Jacob Mellis also served a purpose. Antonio really was a bit of a favourite, the only real 'useless' loan I can think of is Nicholas Bignall. They have their place, with financial fair play, the issue blocking West Ham getting Carroll.... it will be trickier the high up the leagues you go.

Edited by Colinjb

Jos Hooiveld and Chaplow were initially short term loans. The move for Danny N'Guessan and Dale Stephens at the back end of our league 1 campaign also helped. (If only N'Guessan's goal at Charlton had counted....)

Initially shoring up the team after the takeover with Neil Trottman and Jacob Mellis also served a purpose. Antonio really was a bit of a favourite, the only real 'useless' loan I can think of is Nicholas Bignall. They have their place, with financial fair play, the issue blocking West Ham getting Carroll.... it will be trickier the high up the leagues you go.

James Shea wasn't great either.

James Shea wasn't great either.

I had completely forgotten about him! Remember watching a sub keeper warm up at Walsall. His kicking was dreadful, it had our goalkeeping coach shaking his head in disgust. Couldn't help but think he wasn't up to much this Shea lad, only to realise after he had already returned to Arsenal and that we had plumped for Tommy Forecast as a better back-up......

Edited by Colinjb

Iago Falque or however you spell it

What an utter waste of time that was! Sent here to get off the bench and gain some competitive experience, seemed quite a coup with huge potential, but just warmed our bench instead.

What an utter waste of time that was! Sent here to get off the bench and gain some competitive experience, seemed quite a coup with huge potential, but just warmed our bench instead.

Played that one game against Leicester I think it was. Looked lightweight and brittle, just couldn't stand his ground. Signed as cover for Lallana but thankfully Puncheon returned to the fold.

As a thought, the West Ham admission that 'financial fair play' will stop them signing Andy Carroll.

An admission that they are living beyond their means? Will something stop us operating on similar terms?

I think the Prem League has some silly idea this will drive transfer fees & wages down? however the big guns will find loopholes and the only ones who will most prob benefit from this will be them (Man C-Chelsea etc) Solicitors and Agents.

Weren't Lucketti & Perry infront of him loan signings aswell? Or was Perry on a short term contract that got extended?

We signed Perry on loan then put him on a year contract the following season. Lucketti was on loan, he was had Christian Dailly that season as well. Also Vincent Pericard up front, no wonder we struggled!

Personally, I feel that the loan system is **** and totally distorts the competition. Should be tightened up... maybe only 2 per club at any one time and only players who are under 21. Would encourage clubs to think before they get themselves massive squads and would make reserve leagues more competitive.

Cork joined on loan, as did Guthrie - who were both very good for us when they came in, but the quality around them was pretty poor.

Don't think teams should be able to loan players to the same league. For example, when Adebayor was on loan at Spurs before he signed for them, he wasn't able to play against Man City who were both in the top4 at the time. It gave City a better chance of beating them than everyone else in the league.

Cork joined on loan, as did Guthrie - who were both very good for us when they came in, but the quality around them was pretty poor.

Don't think teams should be able to loan players to the same league. For example, when Adebayor was on loan at Spurs before he signed for them, he wasn't able to play against Man City who were both in the top4 at the time. It gave City a better chance of beating them than everyone else in the league.

Same for Liverpool against the Hammers!

Again both of these were before NC / Liebherr days.

IIRC he was highly rated as a loan player. Think most was quite happy when he became a permanent signing. These days, on the other hand...

On our run up the leagues, he did make a valuable contribution of goals and assists, and we shouldn't forget that. It's not his fault that he's a lower league player in the Premier League, he's just a victim of our success. He's far from the worst player we've had over the years.

this thread seems to be mostly about current players who were later signed, but looking at my list ......it could be interesting to see which loan players already OUT.. are unlikely to return.?

so far this season...we've shipped out several players who are OOC in June.....Forecast (thank the Lord)....Ryan Dickson (injured - but OOC in June), likewise Butterfield, and Richard Chaplow (now injured).

Steve De Ridder WAS out - but is back. ...Aaron Martin, Dan Seaborne, Lee Barnard, Jonathan Forte, Dean Hammond, Tadanari Lee, and of course Billy Sharp are also out on loan till EOS... and we're unlikely to see many of those back in the long term, whilst Ben Reeves and Sam Hoskins will certainly be back, but at least they've had a little bit of League experience......Did I miss anyone ?

..In round figures that's around a dozen who are unlikely to see first team football again with SFC....so there's room for quite a few new names - even allowing for any graduating Academy lads.

Edited by david in sweden