Matt Oakley talks saints .....

doddisalegend

on the BBC Late Kick Off show

Former Southampton midfielder Matt Oakley tells BBC Late Kick Off South, South West, West that he expects manager Mauricio Pochettino to leave the club if Tottenham come calling.

But Oakley believes the club may be able to keep hold of captain and midfielder Adam Lallana, who has been tipped to leave St Mary's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27205266

Its going to be a long summer of speculation...:(

Former Southampton midfielder Matt Oakley tells BBC Late Kick Off South, South West, West that he expects manager Mauricio Pochettino to leave the club if Tottenham come calling.

But Oakley believes the club may be able to keep hold of captain and midfielder Adam Lallana, who has been tipped to leave St Mary's.

Surely the title of this thread should be. Matt Oakley talks ****e?

What the F**K does Matt Oakley know about anything. The BBC show on Monday was so amateurish to be believed and I have posted enough on the useless presenter Tony Husbands - famous for saying on air 'Pompey are a well managed club financially' sums it all up. He is entitled to an opinion but not to broadcast it where it is picked up by every sad rumour blog. It is years since he went

What the F**K does Matt Oakley know about anything. The BBC show on Monday was so amateurish to be believed and I have posted enough on the useless presenter Tony Husbands - famous for saying on air 'Pompey are a well managed club financially' sums it all up. He is entitled to an opinion but not to broadcast it where it is picked up by every sad rumour blog. It is years since he went

He knows all about keeping Tropical Fish!

:D

Is he not allowed an opinion?

ONLY if it is a positive one that is both aligned to the general SW forum views (as posted by soft lads and knicker-******ers) and does not in any way besmirch the virtuous name of SFC. If neither of these are met, then the opinion is null and void and should be treated with utter contempt. Not only that, the Opiner shall also be subject to personal attack, belittling of their previous footballing career and general character assisination by the forum intelligencia whose cumulative experience on FIFA / FM, etc gives them far more shrewd insight into the workings of the modern football world than any former professional player.

I thought you'd have known this by now!:mcinnes:;)

Matt Oakley left the club some years ago, so therefore although entitled to an opinion, it carries no more weight than mine or Barry's would if we were to speculate on whether Pochettino would go to Spurs, or Lallana would leave for pastures new.

In particular, I'm interested to know how he can decide that Pochettino would leave for Spurs if the vacancy was offered to him, as I suspect that Oakley has never met Pochettino.

Matt Oakley left the club some years ago, so therefore although entitled to an opinion, it carries no more weight than mine or Barry's would if we were to speculate on whether Pochettino would go to Spurs, or Lallana would leave for pastures new.

In particular, I'm interested to know how he can decide that Pochettino would leave for Spurs if the vacancy was offered to him, as I suspect that Oakley has never met Pochettino.

Thank you oh great Leader.

It drives me nuts when media use comments from ex-players and managers to generate headlines. Danny Mills thinks Leeds are in trouble - so what? The BBC in particular have a real habit, but I suppose you have to do something to meet the insatiable demand for football news.

Still bitter about only being offered a one year deal by Burley, one wonders.
The reason for the 1 year contract offer was due to him still not fully recovered from injury. Prior to injury he was at the height of his playing.

It's a common procedure where crocked players are concerned to be wary of offering a long contract. Just look at how many at the time were at the club injured with long contracts. There was also the first signs of our future financial crisis and administration creeping into all decision making.

In the interview Matt shows understanding for JayRod's current situation which he states are similar. He mentions it eventually took him 16 months to recover. Treatments and operations have improved from 2005-6 but Jay may also find himself in similar situation.

Matt's involvement,since he left the club, along with James Beattie. at club charity events have shown he still holds great affection for Saints. There was talk a couple of years ago, of him returning to the club on the coaching side.

Strachan strongly rated him and I have to day at his best he was a very good member of the Premiership team.

Typical 'asking the ex-pro who used to play for the club' story. They usually have absolutely no more insight into what is going on at a club than you or I but because they used to play for the club, their opinion it is apparently more important and newsworthy. Mainly because the news paper/TV station needs people to believe the ex pro's opinion is newsworthy enough to read the paper or watch the TV programme. I have nothing against Oakley giving an opinion but people should give no importance to what he says.

The reason for the 1 year contract offer was due to him still not fully recovered from injury. Prior to injury he was at the height of his playing.

It's a common procedure where crocked players are concerned to be wary of offering a long contract. Just look at how many at the time were at the club injured with long contracts. There was also the first signs of our future financial crisis and administration creeping into all decision making.

In the interview Matt shows understanding for JayRod's current situation which he states are similar. He mentions it eventually took him 16 months to recover. Treatments and operations have improved from 2005-6 but Jay may also find himself in similar situation.

Matt's involvement,since he left the club, along with James Beattie. at club charity events have shown he still holds great affection for Saints. There was talk a couple of years ago, of him returning to the club on the coaching side.

Strachan strongly rated him and I have to day at his best he was a very good member of the Premiership team.

Another player who got infinitely better when he stopped playing for us then.....

Never a great fan personally - never a player that was anything but quite ordinary....

No disrespect to him but really quite average....wouldn't get anywhere near our current first team...

frank de Boer is off to Spuds, so that's onze place Poch won't be going

How did he talk rubbish? It's a good point that he made in regards to Lallana, he is good enough to play champions league football, if I was in his position I would leave as Saints aren't the be all and end all of a playing career when his talent should be gracing the top stage (UEFA Champions League) and a chance to win titles/cups. Something we sadly can't offer him.