Southampton's board want to avoid selling key players after EFL Cup Final heartbreak

SuperSAINT

The point about the longer contracts we now have is that they vastly increase the club's negotiating power. Any departure is something of a game of chicken.

Player: "I've been offered 2x my wages elsewhere. Cash in and let me go."

Club: "No, you're worth more to us."

Player: "But this is really demotivating for me... do you want that?"

Club: "You'll get over it after a few weeks on the bench. We know you don't want to sabotage your career."

Now it's true that even with 4 years to run, in an extreme case the player can still go on strike and everyone loses. But it's much more likely, provided the player is convinced the club are serious, that he'll back down and continue w his contract for at least another year. Or try to reach an understanding that IF he stays, and IF his transfer offer exceeds a certain level that the club will let him go.

Krueger's comments are an early indication that management are going to take a firmer stance. I see it as hugely positive. It's true that a truly outrageous offer for someone may still get their attention, but I'm hopeful that this time it will indeed be different.

VVD's injury means that he will stay this summer. Suitors will want to see him back and performing again before parting with big £ for him. Every cloud has a silver lining...

It is called a medical. As such. It will not put off a large bid

What b*ll*cks. We can refuse them permission to approach the player. We did it with Morgan.

I cant tell if this is a "we have finally learned our lesson" message, considering how long we have taken to settle down from the double player-and-manager disruption of this season, or this is the formal "Seasonal Player Sale" signs going up in the shop window...

So short sighted. Why does it have to be a lesson learned? You could look at it as what needed to be done was done in order to bring the club to the position it is in now, young, talented, hungry players, all on long contracts, all happy, all pulling together. This was not possible before, now the nucleus of the squad is there and there is no need to sell unless it absolutely suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see this as a way to deflect any criticism of the board after the loss in the League Cup.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Well you would. Nobody is surprised. Have you ever posted anything remotely positive about the club you allegedly support?

Try and cheer up, we are currently in one of the better periods for saints in recent history. It's been a hell of a ride. We lost a league cup final in a closely fought contest and, in no small part, down to one dodgy decisions and a crossbars width. Is it really oh so bad on the good ship Southampton?

The big name player we need to get rid of is Forster. He is trash.

Long and Rodriguez could also potentially be sold.

I think we could well see Jrod gone in the summer, a shame, but I just don't see him getting back to his best here maybe at a new club but not here.

Long will stay as he is useful as an impact sub/ back up striker but he won't be first choice.

I think we could well see Jrod gone in the summer, a shame, but I just don't see him getting back to his best here maybe at a new club but not here.

Long will stay as he is useful as an impact sub/ back up striker but he won't be first choice.

Agree Long could be kept as an impact player. But will he be happy with that? Or will he create unrest? I'm not sure.

As others have said if VVD stays then I think they all (bar JRod and potentially Fraser) will. If VVD goes I could realistically see Bertrand and or Tadic going as well. I'm not sure we have anyone else that desireable as Boufal and Gabbi haven't been here long enough really.

Well you would. Nobody is surprised. Have you ever posted anything remotely positive about the club you allegedly support?

Try and cheer up, we are currently in one of the better periods for saints in recent history. It's been a hell of a ride. We lost a league cup final in a closely fought contest and, in no small part, down to one dodgy decisions and a crossbars width. Is it really oh so bad on the good ship Southampton?

Please dont quote his nonsense i have him on ignore, he is clearly a skate

I wouldn't expect you to agree but the board knows they screwed up this season with the recruitment . Fans are worried about more players being sold as its what we do . Unhappy fans risks the amount of season tickets being sold .

Les Reed isn't often taken seriously so the board offers up someone else to try and deflect some of the supporters concerns for the summer .

Aww Always, thought you got upset at name calling ?

The big name player we need to get rid of is Forster. He is trash.

Long and Rodriguez could also potentially be sold.

I think Forster lacks confidence in his defence . The lack of protection he now gets with a weaker central midfield and CB pairing must put him on edge .

I still think he can be a top keeper again as he was under previous managers .

It's a two way think. The defence need to be able to rely on their keeper. That's one of the problems Man City have - they don't trust their keepers, play a higher line than necessary to try and keep the ball well away from him/them.

Guys, guys, guys and gals. Do you not realise that now is the time that season ticket renewals are about to be sent out? This kind of nonsense is ALWAYS peddled out by the club about this time to maximise the new sales - it's something they feel they have to do to keep fans on-side (except Les wouldn't get away with it this season after his calamitous January statements on the CB situation). If by some incredible chance no cash rich club comes in with a silly offer and our best players do not want away, then perhaps we might just see a settled squad. Many past seasons of disappointment have taught me not to hold my breath!