Acceptable pub etiquette

TopGun

That's a desperate measure for desperate times with really bad bar staff though.

Sometimes, but it still happens a lot of the time when people are getting served quickly enough. It tends to be by people who think they are gangsters as well.

- Couples buying a round between them. This is confounded when they still expect to be bought individual drinks by everyone else.

- The designated driver accepting cokes all night until its their round and then saying, 'I'm not getting a round, because I'm only drinking coke.'

- Running out of money, or leaving before getting your round in.

- Sitting in the prime TV viewing seats when you have no intention of watching it. Ladies, this one is aimed at you.

- Sitting on large tables when there are only 2 of you.

- Asking for a clean glass.

- Taking a laptop to the pub.

Agree on the first one, me and my fiancee make sure we both get rounds in. Don't agree on the second though, when I've been designated driver it's bad enough not being able to have a beer let alone paying for other people's beer (when your soft drink is half the cost). The third one I totally agree on, we had a lad in my late teens/early 20s who was well known for this offence, we got our revenge by going for a curry on London Rd and left him asleep with the bill!

Unless it's a Setanta game, I don't go the pub to watch TV but I do take a book if I'm away from home for work and want to relax in the evening. A couple sitting at a large table is definately selfish. Don't think I've gone anywhere where the glasses were really dirty but at Cafe Buster in Antwerp there is actually a washing up sink at the bar! Taking a laptop to the pub - OK during the day although always the risk of damaging it, bit much in the evening IMO though.

- Couples buying a round between them. This is confounded when they still expect to be bought individual drinks by everyone else.

- The designated driver accepting cokes all night until its their round and then saying, 'I'm not getting a round, because I'm only drinking coke.'

- Running out of money, or leaving before getting your round in.

- Sitting in the prime TV viewing seats when you have no intention of watching it. Ladies, this one is aimed at you.

- Sitting on large tables when there are only 2 of you.

- Asking for a clean glass.

- Taking a laptop to the pub.

Couples etiquette is a separate problem I assume it goes back to when the "lady" didn't work but unacceptable these days.

I think the designated driver is entitled but it should be made clear from the start. If it's a regular drinking group then it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.

If you walk into a pub and get involved in rounds then you should have enough cash. Now that most pubs take cards this isn't really a problem.

not worried about TV really.

Can't see why you wouldn't ask for a clean glass, at beer festivals we have to be very careful about not touching the top of the glass and not letting the punter's glass come in contact with the tap on the barrel.

What about rounds generally? While it's more sociable people are going to be encouraged to accept drinks they don't want. And I've known people line up three or four drinks when they are drinking slowly. To my mind if you've got the best part of a full pint you don't need another one. A bit wary about accepting if I've got at least a half.

Something else that irritates me is people sitting at the bar apparently oblivious to others trying to get there to order a drink.

Where is a pint of Coke half the price of lager? Not in any pub I frequent it isn't.

The thought of drinking a pint of Coke is flipping awful - all that sugar and caffine. Diet Coke has all sorts of nasty sweetners in it. I drink mineral water as designated driver, boring but a lot less sugar!

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread - one of the best on on this forum by a mile.

My thoughts:

- No queue-jumping. Simple manners really. If you know someone has been waiting at the bar much longer than you, and you're served first, you point this out and go next in line. Nothing infuriates me more than if I have been waiting for ten minutes yet someone props up and is served before me. I have been known to lose my rag for this and consequently been removed from the premises...

- No indecision. Once at the bar get your round in asap. It p1sses me off when people have to go to and fro as they don't know what their fellow drinkers are drinking. Work out your order, then get the round in ffs...

- No card payments for small amounts. It p1sses me off when people hold up the queue by paying by plastic for a drink(s) less than a fiver. Even worse when the card is declined ffs...

- No staring at strangers playing fruities, games machines etc. It p1sses me off when someone I don't know it watching me like a hawk when I play the fruitie. Again I have been known to lose my rag for this. F/ck off ffs...

- If you're a couple and you're in a round, you buy two rounds not just the one as some couples think is acceptable to be the case...

- Simple manners and courtesy. Some people think it's acceptable to get a round of cheep watered down beer in at weatherspoons, yet when it's other peoples round somewhere else they ask for a double vodka red bull etc at treble the cost, what the f/ck is that all about?? Even worse is getting involved in a round, then doing a runner before you've even got yours in, ffs....

- I don't have a problem with the nominated driver accepting free coke all night, it's the least I can do. Likewise when it's your mates birthdays, they should accept free drink all night.

- No taking liberties in the cubicals, i.e five of you in there hoovering up lines for 15 minutes when I really need a dump...

Great thread - one of the best on on this forum by a mile.

My thoughts:

- No queue-jumping. Simple manners really. If you know someone has been waiting at the bar much longer than you, and you're served first, you point this out and go next in line. Nothing infuriates me more than if I have been waiting for ten minutes yet someone props up and is served before me. I have been known to lose my rag for this and consequently been removed from the premises...

This gets to me too and makes me mad quite often.

See people talking about bar staff not liking customers showing money. How else are you gonna attract their attention when you want to be served!?

• 2 weeks later...
- Ordering a big round to then order your Guiness last.

F*ck me, someone's actually realised its annoying for us barmen. Especially when the Guinness has to settle for 2 mins!

"Refusing to put the money into the outstretched hand of the barman. What's that all about? Chucking your money on the bar makes you look stupid and rude. I noticed that the people who did it were the ones who were complained when I did it back to them"

Fair play, I'll give the cash the the hand of an old boy who's dumped a handful of coins on the bar and says, take it from that, cos they've been in wars for us! If its businessman type in a rush, a good one to do is to accidentally drop a note, preferably in or close to a bin, especially if he is in a real hurry to leave the premesis, because then you have to search for it, it might by on the top, but he can't see that! ;-p

Know what I mean?! End of the day, We're not your lackeys, so don't treat us like them!

Oh, And on another point..

Closing time - We get fifteen mins in our company, past closing time to get everyone out. This just doesn't bode well for us on the bar if you and your mate are sitting there chatting at ten past when you should have been out ten minutes previously and when we make a suggestion its time to go, its "yeah yeah" and back to the conversation.

And why do this type always insist on going to the toilet just before they go.

W*nkers

Rant over :-)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

W*nkers

I think you've just answered your own question.;)

F*ck me, someone's actually realised its annoying for us barmen. Especially when the Guinness has to settle for 2 mins!

"Refusing to put the money into the outstretched hand of the barman. What's that all about? Chucking your money on the bar makes you look stupid and rude. I noticed that the people who did it were the ones who were complained when I did it back to them"

Fair play, I'll give the cash the the hand of an old boy who's dumped a handful of coins on the bar and says, take it from that, cos they've been in wars for us! If its businessman type in a rush, a good one to do is to accidentally drop a note, preferably in or close to a bin, especially if he is in a real hurry to leave the premesis, because then you have to search for it, it might by on the top, but he can't see that! ;-p

Know what I mean?! End of the day, We're not your lackeys, so don't treat us like them!

Oh, And on another point..

Closing time - We get fifteen mins in our company, past closing time to get everyone out. This just doesn't bode well for us on the bar if you and your mate are sitting there chatting at ten past when you should have been out ten minutes previously and when we make a suggestion its time to go, its "yeah yeah" and back to the conversation.

W*nkers

Where do you work? It sounds like a right barrel of laughs.

Still find it amazing that tipping the bar staff doesn't happen in the UK. Whenever I'm back home I feel guilty paying for drinks... until I realize it just cost me double the price of the pint in the US.

If you buy a packet of crisps (bar snacks) open the packet up and share them around for at least the first packet. Especially if bought as part of a round.

Barsnacks might also be a decent payback for the designated driver.

I once served a Dubonnet & Lemonade to Dudley Sutton whilst I worked as a car mechanic to Sir Michael Stoute.

Suffice to say he left me a massive tip and I was able to buy the Internet.

Was that the same night I took umbrage to Ian 'Lovejoy' McShane for spilling my pint, and kicked his head in, in front of his bird?

No it was the night that you were caught in the men's giving Michael 'Boon' Elphick a reach around.

I have never given Elphick a reach around, although I was once propositioned by Don Estelle and Windsor Davies.

I turned them down, as I was having a couple of beers with Molly Sugden and her pussy at the time.

End of the day, We're not your lackeys, so don't treat us like them!

No disrespect Summers but I think you'll find that bar staff are 'lackeys' of a kind. But agree that you should be shown respect all the same. I am always polite and patient, I also think that if you stay in a pub for a few hours, the service improves, this is particularly noticeable in Wethersppons, as lots of punters are only they're for a few cheap pints to start the evening off. I like it when bar staff remember my 'round' also, that is always worth a tip IMHO.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
/\

Oh yeah, and please don't call me "Mate", I ain't your mate, okay?

Do you totally blank punters who are trying to order whilst talking on their mobile?

FWIW, they aren't showing you any respect so why bother acknowledging them?

No disrespect Summers but I think you'll find that bar staff are 'lackeys' of a kind. But agree that you should be shown respect all the same. I am always polite and patient, I also think that if you stay in a pub for a few hours, the service improves, this is particularly noticeable in Wethersppons, as lots of punters are only they're for a few cheap pints to start the evening off. I like it when bar staff remember my 'round' also, that is always worth a tip IMHO.

Definitely, Can't disagree with that sentiment. I think a sign of a decent standard barman is if he knows your round (3-4 drinks) after the 2nd round, if you get that, and even help the poor sod who hasn't got a hope in remembering one becks, one tetley's, one guinness and one vodka lime and lemonade, esp as he's only ordering his drink!

Service and chat improves the longer you're in a pub, mainly cos the punters always talk more sh*t after a few pints, and barmen are sometimes classed as the fountain of all wisdom, disrespectful of age! lol!

Still find it amazing that tipping the bar staff doesn't happen in the UK.

They used to at Southampton Airport. The average tips I could get in a day was about 15 quid, and that wasn't from the foreigners either, that was the regular brits! Maybe its a going on holiday/rich businessman travelling thing. Can still remember the Christmas Eve when I got tipped upwards of 30 pounds... :D

• 3 weeks later...
- No staring at strangers playing fruities, games machines etc. It p1sses me off when someone I don't know it watching me like a hawk when I play the fruitie. Again I have been known to lose my rag for this. F/ck off ffs...

This is a pet hate of mine. In the bookies i might have go on the roulette machine and theres this one chinese bloke who always tries to talk to me and just cannot take the hint that i want him to **** off. I always lose when this **** is stood next to me too, BUT what really ****s me right off is when he says what number the ball is going to land on once the wheel has started spinning. "22" "ah you haven't got that" and it lands on 22. Arggggh!!!!!

This isnt really a pub ettiquette post but it is pub related. The one thing that really annoys me in bar/clubs like Vodka Revs and such like is when your at the bar and all you want to order is a pint/bottle/etc and the group of people in front of you (normally women) order loads of ****tails that take k'in ages to make. So your stuck there for 10 mins waiting to order while the poor barmen has to make 10 rediculously long winded ****tails.

My idea for a bar is to have some sort of speed lane section where if you want to order 1 or 2 drinks you can as long as they are pints or bottles. Leaving the larger area of the bar for those who want ****tails or to order rounds etc.

My idea for a bar is to have some sort of speed lane section where if you want to order 1 or 2 drinks you can as long as they are pints or bottles. Leaving the larger area of the bar for those who want ****tails or to order rounds etc.

I like that idea.

:o Exactly the same idea me and my mates have come up with recently!!

I refuse to go to Vodka Revs out of principle due to the problem with c**ts ordering big rounds of stupid drinks. Even if it wasn't a "fast lane" and just a "beer and bottles" bar would help!