Jan happy with his 10 signings

NickG

any chance to moan!

Didn't Ferguson sign both Rooney and Van Nistleroy when recovering from their injuries?

Wait for their recovery and deadline has gone.

Managers don't normally do the scouting -they tend to be busy on Saturdays!

Apparnetly Mark Hughes has never personally seen Robinhio play!

another thread which is bit positive turns into slagging club off!

You are making mischief here - where in my thread was I slagging the club off. I was just correcting your factually inaccurate post by pointing out the 10 players brought in were the choice of our DoF who also happens to be the Chairman of the PLC. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I will leave to others.

If you don't mind me saying you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder if anyone dare pour just a little water over your "the club can do wrong" outlook.

You are making mischief here - where in my thread was I slagging the club off. I was just correcting your factually inaccurate post by pointing out the 10 players brought in were the choice of our DoF who also happens to be the Chairman of the PLC. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I will leave to others.

If you don't mind me saying you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder if anyone dare pour just a little water over your "the club can do wrong" outlook.

mine is totally accurate -think you are making mischief and showing an agenda! mine was purely info;)

I am sure, using the Mark Hughes comparison, when he got the job he identified after a scouting mission that Robinhio was the player he wanted? Or did the owners, footballing directors do it? Still he is a Man C signing and Mark Hughes signing.

Please stop turing every thread into a Lowe one I am not interested in the man!

Excellent, thanks for that.

Where is the Lowe hatred and childishness in my post?

not aimed at you just the turning of the threads getting really boring, you see something on line that you think saints fans might be interested in, post the link, its relatively positive (in that it was not as negative as many predicted) and another thread slags of the club and Lowe cos we are signing players the same way every other club does

If JP really is happy with these signings, it explains why he's spent most of his coaching career in the lower reaches of the Dutch League!

I expect he is happy with the signings considering there were no guarantees he would be able to get any replacements for those players sold or loaned out. Many on here feared no one would be brought in (or even want to come) and to be fair some of the signings were better quality than we expected.

So I think when he says he is happy with the players he has got he is being realistic and accepting the situation we face. He is not suggesting there are not better players available elsewhere. Anyway what would have been the reaction on here if he said the squad was poor and we need to get better players? We cannot afford to pay even the wages of proven quality players and it would have only shown lack of faith in the players we do have.

Whether he believed it or not he had to say something like that.

In the circumstances I'm delighted with the quality of players brought in and with all the doom and gloom that everyone would be sold and noone brought in I think things have gone a lot better than any of us expected.

Yes it would be nice if we had a bit more experience and we could all argue that other positions like the full backs should have been covered.

I'm delighted that John and Davis are still here.

Perry and Wooton will prove to be very useful seasoned pros and we have had the massive added boost of Killer returning.

Scneiderlin and Holmes both look very promising signings.

and hopefully Cork,Pekhert and Gasmi will all prove to be 3 very shrew loans.

Lallana,Mcgoldrick and Gillett have made the step up and you have James,White,Lancashire,Thompson etc all desperate to prove themselves and secure a regular 1st team place.

It will be a tough season but if we can come through it the future will then look very rosy imho

I reckon Lowe, Hockaday and Henderson picked JPs signings for him. I do wonder how much clout JP has.

And how he can be happy about having no recognised full-backs, I'll never know. Do they play with narrow defences in Dutch Total Football ?

personally -don't see that as a problem provided he is getting the type and position of player he needs.

think a lot is made of this, him not seeing the players himself thing, as I posted elsewhere I would suspect it is very common with managers busy with their team and having scouts etc. Like anything it is fine when it works but we can criticise it when it doesn't! Again using something I mentioned in earlier post -are Man City fans moaning that Hughes didn't watch and identify Robinhio!

I reckon Lowe, Hockaday and Henderson picked JPs signings for him. I do wonder how much clout JP has.

And how he can be happy about having no recognised full-backs, I'll never know. Do they play with narrow defences in Dutch Total Football ?

A comment that clearly shows alpine doesn't even watch football anymore. There have certainly been no issues with width from our full backs.

What pile of crap will alps invent next, I wonder? Time to be banned.

A comment that clearly shows alpine doesn't even watch football anymore. There have certainly been no issues with width from our full backs.

What pile of crap will alps invent next, I wonder? Time to be banned.

For what, exactly ? Reckon you are closer to that than me the way you carry on when you see my user name.

AAAHHH FFS if you listened to the Solent forum he has said its NOT a problem because he wants good ball players at full back and is very happy with James and Surman.

Also, the continental system works with the head coach training the players he has available. He is obviously trying to improve the players we hav and actually coaching on the raining ground rather than having a mobile stuck to his ear.

Maybe you should go and watch sometime?

I'm happy enough with the full backs... the best for of defence is attack, or so many people say... I also read on here plenty that say they'd rather see a return to the likes of our 5-4 win at Norwich, than boring 1-0's... ok, so not everyone is like that, but personally I agree that forward thinking full backs are the way and if we sacrifice a little in defence then so be it.

As for the signings overall, I too am happy with who has come in, given my concerns when JP first arrived and the various financial messages coming out. I would like to know more about our current operating costs as a result of the transfers, and what the bottom line looks like, but that's not going to happen until the results are announced or we get something from the board...

This thread is a joke.

Let's us replace Lowe's name with Crouch or Branson or Laurie Mc, and let's see if the same faces post the same crap.

If Lowe wasn't directly involved in the signings I am sure the same faces would say 'what are we paying him for'. QED, he (Lowe) cannot win, despite JP saying he's happy with his signings.

Saint's sign players by based on requirements and finance - if you think JP has no input into those requirements you are at best naive, at worst a ******.

personally -don't see that as a problem provided he is getting the type and position of player he needs.

think a lot is made of this, him not seeing the players himself thing, as I posted elsewhere I would suspect it is very common with managers busy with their team and having scouts etc. Like anything it is fine when it works but we can criticise it when it doesn't! Again using something I mentioned in earlier post -are Man City fans moaning that Hughes didn't watch and identify Robinhio!

I wouldn't moan a bit if our manager had been presented with Robinho, or the historical equivalents like Eusebio, Pele, Socrates, Cruyff, Maradona or players of their ilk. For crissakes, players of that category are household names; who needs to see them play to know that they are good? But even at our lowly level where we haven't two beans to rub together, we are signing up such footballing luminaries as Anthony Pulis. So don't fret, our troubles are over.

AAAHHH FFS if you listened to the Solent forum he has said its NOT a problem because he wants good ball players at full back and is very happy with James and Surman.

Also, the continental system works with the head coach training the players he has available. He is obviously trying to improve the players we hav and actually coaching on the raining ground rather than having a mobile stuck to his ear.

Maybe you should go and watch sometime?

If Jan is happy after watching the performances of Surman played as full back, then I am seriously concerned about his judgement and credibility. Don’t get me wrong, I quite like the bloke (Drew too) from what I have seen, but I am seriously asking questions if he doesn’t see our lack of established defence as a concern. Am I not alone in thinking our flanks are an obvious weakness (as they were from day 1) and an area we seriously need to tighten up?! Just the second half against Birmingham alone would have had me frantically scribbling in my notes, thinking tactics and formations, defensive duties and roles within the squad. Maybe Jan really has not choice and has to use what he has – but that is not totally the case as 2 injured players have been brought in through the loan system so there is no basis to say we did not have the wage bill to support bringing in a left back. Make of that what you will. Who is making the transfer decisions?! Certainly not the man responsible for the squad selection, management and tactics which, I feel, is ludicrous.

Obviously, I am an arm chair fan and no little about football (as so eloquently inferred by the perpetually misfiring Professor yesterday! LOL). I didn’t feel the need to respond against a poster of the fore-mentioned ilk (although the irony of his moniker was amusing). It would clearly take too long, and be a fruitless task and waste of time, explaining the fundamentals to the fore-mentioned gentleman.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1162&page=2 (it's mentioned enough on this thread)

Surman is NOT a defender, he's slow, doesn't track back, continually gets outpaced and over-run, leaving Svensson and Perry dangerously exposed. Drew' passes a good ball but he is an attacking minded lad – he is wasted in a full back position. IMHO, Key assets of wing backs are tackling and pace, being able to bomb forward and change defence to attack (must like Bale did). This Dutch system may yet work if we have the right players, not just making do with what we have (or are given). That seems the crux of our problem, along with having sold the last of our established talent, leaving the youngsters with few steadying heads (bar Svensson and Perry in defence) marshalling the rest of the open field. Euell showed that last night in the reserves.

How some can just sit on their fence and swallow all the sh*t they're spoon fed is beyond me. Don't you have standards or would you still smile and clap as we fell from division, to division, to obscurity?

No, just me then!!

I am sure, using the Mark Hughes comparison, when he got the job he identified after a scouting mission that Robinhio was the player he wanted? Or did the owners, footballing directors do it? Still he is a Man C signing and Mark Hughes signing.

Please stop turing every thread into a Lowe one I am not interested in the man!

Do you really think that using Man City (and previously Man U) signing recognised top quality players are examples equivalent to Saints signing the likes of Holmes, Wooton, etc. for a manager who pretty obviously hasn't seen hide or hair of them before?

And should we take seriously your opinion that Furguson leaves signings up to his scouts and doesn't bother to check them out himself? What does he say to his scouts - "I've got £30m to spend on someone, go and find me someone to spend it on"?

And rich clubs can take a small chance that an injury might be more long term than it might appear at first sight. Are you saying that Saints can equally well take risks with injured players given their stated financial plight?

Is how the club is being run and the quality (or otherwise) of decisions being taken no longer an issue worthy of discussion at all?

Maybe we should stick to the facts here guys. The facts are this:

We have played 6 games since pre-season and won three and narrowly lost three.

The three games won we have done so convincingly enough if you count the fact that we totally dominated Derby in a 1-0 victory. The three lost have been one in added time, one where we dominated for a period against Brum (league) and a poor performance against Blackpool where even then we could have gone in at the break in front.

Even though we have no 'recognised' full backs as such, we have still only conceded 6 goals, keeping 2 clean sheets in the process and an average of one goal per game conceded is acceptable for most teams. This does not suggest that full back is a huge problem, but against teams with genuine pace on the flanks we may get exposed.

We have scored 10 goals in those six games and missed a few chances from what I have seen, but fundamentally it seems that Lallana, Holmes and McG will weigh in with goals. I am sure that Stern and this new czech striker may also do so and I have no doubt that Surman may get the odd goal, as will Dyer so plenty of attacking options.

Jan is happy with his squad. He did not say whether he chose the players or not, but has continually suggested that he is happy with the quality, it is clearly his formation they have adopted and on balance it seems to work well for large periods of games even against quality opposition. Maybe those teams that are less adventurous create more of a challenge for us as they will try to counter attack swiftly and directly.

Fundamentally, JP is stating he is happy regardless of who has selected those players. I suspect he and / or Wotte will have at least seen videos of the signings to confirm they are of the desired quality, but they are young and will have games where inconsistency kicks in, which is what we saw against Blackpool.

A balanced view says that we will end up mid-table or maybe narrowly below IMO and I think we would have took that at the start of the season. If we do better, is anyone going to give Lowe credit? No, of course not - at that point it will be JP's team and JP will be the hero.

We need to give this time now. JP sounds to me to very much know what is required. He is intelligent when he talks about football and seems to have the respect of the squad. The team has generally played good football, maybe a bit naive at times, maybe inconsistent at times, but on balance reasonably good and the results have been acceptable to date.

So, lets put aside any questions over who is making the player decisions for the moment and look at it this way; This is JP's team, he makes the footballing decisions as to tactics, who plays etc. He also is happy with the squad. Therefore, for me the buck stops firmly with JP for results. We have been forced to sell / move players on and everyone seems to be getting on with the job in the knowledge they are doing what they have to do. Maybe the fans should now do the same, get behind the team and hope for a good season.

If Jan is happy after watching the performances of Surman played as full back, then I am seriously concerned about his judgement and credibility. Don’t get me wrong, I quite like the bloke (Drew too) from what I have seen, but I am seriously asking questions if he doesn’t see our lack of established defence as a concern. Am I not alone in thinking our flanks are an obvious weakness (as they were from day 1) and an area we seriously need to tighten up?! Just the second half against Birmingham alone would have had me frantically scribbling in my notes, thinking tactics and formations, defensive duties and roles within the squad. Maybe Jan really has not choice and has to use what he has – but that is not totally the case as 2 injured players have been brought in through the loan system so there is no basis to say we did not have the wage bill to support bringing in a left back. Make of that what you will. Who is making the transfer decisions?! Certainly not the man responsible for the squad selection, management and tactics which, I feel, is ludicrous.

Obviously, I am an arm chair fan and no little about football (as so eloquently inferred by the perpetually misfiring Professor yesterday! LOL). I didn’t feel the need to respond against a poster of the fore-mentioned ilk (although the irony of his moniker was amusing). It would clearly take too long, and be a fruitless task and waste of time, explaining the fundamentals to the fore-mentioned gentleman.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1162&page=2 (it's mentioned enough on this thread)

Surman is NOT a defender, he's slow, doesn't track back, continually gets outpaced and over-run, leaving Svensson and Perry dangerously exposed. Drew' passes a good ball but he is an attacking minded lad – he is wasted in a full back position. IMHO, Key assets of wing backs are tackling and pace, being able to bomb forward and change defence to attack (must like Bale did). This Dutch system may yet work if we have the right players, not just making do with what we have (or are given). That seems the crux of our problem, along with having sold the last of our established talent, leaving the youngsters with few steadying heads (bar Svensson and Perry in defence) marshalling the rest of the open field. Euell showed that last night in the reserves.

How some can just sit on their fence and swallow all the sh*t they're spoon fed is beyond me. Don't you have standards or would you still smile and clap as we fell from division, to division, to obscurity?

No, just me then!!

JP has stated that he will play midfielders in full back positions within his system. That suggests to me that he IS deciding who to bring in. After all, surely a person thinking about football as a basic commodity would bring in two recognised full backs and probably not play the system we do.

There is a common thread to the players we are signing....they are either experienced to add that to the youth of the side, or comfortable on the ball so they can play a quick passing game or versatile so they can play several positions thus allowing them to interact on the field.

The signings suggest to me that these players being brought in have had a large amount of input and thought from JP / Wotte.

Jan is not going to say he thinks the club has signed a few duffers is he?

I make it 11 signings by the way.

Killer - looks a long long way from his best days. Struggling to win headers, lacking pace and sharpness. Certainly hasn't forgot how to foul. Can only play once a week. He will be a good signing is his current fitness is not his top level of fitness.

Perry - lacks pace, offers decent positional play, has struggled in the air and gets stuck in. Fairly happy though feel him and Svenesson together are nto a great partnership.

Wotton - looks very average to me (not seen a lot to be fair though). Not particulary mobile and lacks guile. Need to see more.

Schneiderlin - very composed on theball, decent first touch, two feet, can he tackle though? Decent start but needs to keep improving.

Holmes - decent left foot, willing to have a go at the fullback and get the byeline (yippee). Only downside is that he lacks real pace but he has done well to date.

Forecast - How good can he be if he is 3rd choice?

Dyer - usual quick but no end product stuff so far and worrying that he has not made the bench in some games.

Cork - decent prospect and offers cover at fullback and CB. Is he any good in either position? Too early to access.

Pekhart - lots of goals in the youth team, but then again McGoldrick did the same. We wait and see.

Tony Pulis - injured

Romain Gasmi - broken foot!

It is very important to take into consideration that we had zero transfer funds available and were offering peanuts in wages when you look at the signings. I'd like another ten games to make my mind up that they have been decent signings.

Edited by Chez

Do you really think that using Man City (and previously Man U) signing recognised top quality players are examples equivalent to Saints signing the likes of Holmes, Wooton, etc. for a manager who pretty obviously hasn't seen hide or hair of them before?yes, video and others opinions are available for both

And should we take seriously your opinion that Furguson leaves signings up to his scouts and doesn't bother to check them out himself? What does he say to his scouts - "I've got £30m to spend on someone, go and find me someone to spend it on"?no more likely that JP does -and nothing to say it does happen -apart from something that fits a criticism of the club that some want to use

And rich clubs can take a small chance that an injury might be more long term than it might appear at first sight. Are you saying that Saints can equally well take risks with injured players given their stated financial plight?both have medical assessments available, and risk are probably proprtional to available money anyway. Of new signings one was delayed until they were happy with injury and the other loan until he is better. Your criticism is totally based on made up assumptions -why?

Is how the club is being run and the quality (or otherwise) of decisions being taken no longer an issue worthy of discussion at all?

make up stories so you can criticise club no, debate facts or concerns yes

Maybe we should stick to the facts here guys. The facts are this:

We have played 6 games since pre-season and won three and narrowly lost three.

The three games won we have done so convincingly enough if you count the fact that we totally dominated Derby in a 1-0 victory. The three lost have been one in added time, one where we dominated for a period against Brum (league) and a poor performance against Blackpool where even then we could have gone in at the break in front.

Even though we have no 'recognised' full backs as such, we have still only conceded 6 goals, keeping 2 clean sheets in the process and an average of one goal per game conceded is acceptable for most teams. This does not suggest that full back is a huge problem, but against teams with genuine pace on the flanks we may get exposed.

We have scored 10 goals in those six games and missed a few chances from what I have seen, but fundamentally it seems that Lallana, Holmes and McG will weigh in with goals. I am sure that Stern and this new czech striker may also do so and I have no doubt that Surman may get the odd goal, as will Dyer so plenty of attacking options.

Jan is happy with his squad. He did not say whether he chose the players or not, but has continually suggested that he is happy with the quality, it is clearly his formation they have adopted and on balance it seems to work well for large periods of games even against quality opposition. Maybe those teams that are less adventurous create more of a challenge for us as they will try to counter attack swiftly and directly.

Fundamentally, JP is stating he is happy regardless of who has selected those players. I suspect he and / or Wotte will have at least seen videos of the signings to confirm they are of the desired quality, but they are young and will have games where inconsistency kicks in, which is what we saw against Blackpool.

A balanced view says that we will end up mid-table or maybe narrowly below IMO and I think we would have took that at the start of the season. If we do better, is anyone going to give Lowe credit? No, of course not - at that point it will be JP's team and JP will be the hero.

We need to give this time now. JP sounds to me to very much know what is required. He is intelligent when he talks about football and seems to have the respect of the squad. The team has generally played good football, maybe a bit naive at times, maybe inconsistent at times, but on balance reasonably good and the results have been acceptable to date.

So, lets put aside any questions over who is making the player decisions for the moment and look at it this way; This is JP's team, he makes the footballing decisions as to tactics, who plays etc. He also is happy with the squad. Therefore, for me the buck stops firmly with JP for results. We have been forced to sell / move players on and everyone seems to be getting on with the job in the knowledge they are doing what they have to do. Maybe the fans should now do the same, get behind the team and hope for a good season.

good post

Perhaps JP just knows that specialised FBs are of no use to teams playing total football, as Archie Gemmill demonstrated with his nutmeg of JP in the World Cup :) As a specialised FB himself I guess JP may think he can judge this situation. Not saying I agree with him (I don't) but it is one area he can be said to be knowledgeable.

By the way the petty bickering at the start of this thread actually showed everyone to be technically inaccurate, as neither JP nor RL were really involved in signing Holmes or Perry, both of those moves were already being done before His Satanic Majesty was reinstated and while JP was still coaching a lower league team in Holland. Not that it matters, Jan has 10 new signings in his squad, and I'm sure thats what he meant. Some people need to remember not to nit-pick what JP says, once you can speak Dutch as fluently as JP can speak English then you may have grounds to criticise. :)

To be fair, clubs like Man united and Man city dont need scouts to tell Hughes and Fergie that Berbatov and Robinho are any good, every football fan on the planet know that they are great players.

agree totally, bit of extreme example I made I am afriad but hopefully it made the point!

This thread is a joke.

Let's us replace Lowe's name with Crouch or Branson or Laurie Mc, and let's see if the same faces post the same crap.

If Lowe wasn't directly involved in the signings I am sure the same faces would say 'what are we paying him for'. QED, he (Lowe) cannot win, despite JP saying he's happy with his signings.

Saint's sign players by based on requirements and finance - if you think JP has no input into those requirements you are at best naive, at worst a ******.

FWIW I have been impressed with the signings although the Pulis and Forecast ones have left me a little bemused. However I do think it important that the man who picks the team and decides the tactics has some input into which players are bought (possibly not sold as that is down to the Bank it seems). Mark Wotte when interviewed on Radio Hampshire said that neither he or JP have a big say in who we buy. Personally I don't think that to be a good thing even if it does appear to be happening at Man City (suspect Hughes ain't too peeved however). You only have to look at the farce at Newcastle to see many managers (even ones as resignation happy as KK) prefer to have full control over which players are targeted. After all if it all goes horribly pear shaped it is usually the manager who faces losing his job.

And I have to say I don't think Rupert Lowe is best qualified to be a DoF despite what he himself believes. Financially astute he maybe and if he saves us from administration all well and good but I am nervous.

And I have to say I don't think Rupert Lowe is best qualified to be a DoF despite what he himself believes. Financially astute he maybe and if he saves us from administration all well and good but I am nervous.

Have to agree with that. Lowe is not an experienced football man and cannot know what players are needed to bring balance to the club.

I suspect he is taking football advice from others including our coaches who have not been around for long and are still bedding in.

They will likely give an opinion of what sort of player is required and what position. Lowe takes advice from those that know who is available to fit the requirements and importantly the financial restraints. Lowe then goes out and tries to do the deal with the players agent and club.

If my senario is correct then Poortvliet's and Wotte are correct in that they have no real choice over the player but do have a say in the position/requirement skills.

They will have known what to expect and as they grow into the job and exposure to English Football and assuming our finances stabilise no doubt they will have more input into the "who" rather that the "what"

Just my view

To be fair, clubs like Man united and Man city dont need scouts to tell Hughes and Fergie that Berbatov and Robinho are any good, every football fan on the planet know that they are great players.

I'm not sure that NickG has actually understood your point that Freguson etc WILL ALREADY know a great deal about a great player they are signing so isn't relying just on scout's opinion, whereas JP at best may have seen a video of our signings, and just maybe has seen a scout's report.

I apparently make up stories when only asking questions or by suggesting that JP will probably know little if anything about the players being signed, but NickG it seems knows for a fact that JP has seen videos and scout reports of all our signings before they have been signed, despite JP's and Wotte's admissions to the contrary in some cases.

Apparently that this puts Saints recent signings and a typical Man U signing on an equal footing.

By the way the petty bickering at the start of this thread actually showed everyone to be technically inaccurate, as neither JP nor RL were really involved in signing Holmes or Perry, both of those moves were already being done before His Satanic Majesty was reinstated and while JP was still coaching a lower league team in Holland.

I'm sure the OS was saying that Holmes turned Derby down (sic) because of the Dutch football and the Chairman's youngsters policy.

I'm not sure that NickG has actually understood your point that Freguson etc WILL ALREADY know a great deal about a great player they are signing so isn't relying just on scout's opinion, whereas JP at best may have seen a video of our signings, and just maybe has seen a scout's report.

I apparently make up stories when only asking questions or by suggesting that JP will probably know little if anything about the players being signed, but NickG it seems knows for a fact that JP has seen videos and scout reports of all our signings before they have been signed, despite JP's and Wotte's admissions to the contrary in some cases.

Apparently that this puts Saints recent signings and a typical Man U signing on an equal footing.

exactly -you've got it now!;)

Have to agree with that. Lowe is not an experienced football man and cannot know what players are needed to bring balance to the club.

I suspect he is taking football advice from others including our coaches who have not been around for long and are still bedding in.

They will likely give an opinion of what sort of player is required and what position. Lowe takes advice from those that know who is available to fit the requirements and importantly the financial restraints. Lowe then goes out and tries to do the deal with the players agent and club.

If my senario is correct then Poortvliet's and Wotte are correct in that they have no real choice over the player but do have a say in the position/requirement skills.

They will have known what to expect and as they grow into the job and exposure to English Football and assuming our finances stabilise no doubt they will have more input into the "who" rather that the "what"

Just my view

Fair post. In tonight's Echo JP is quoted thus " I have been told by people in France he (Gasmi) is a very good player" which kind of reveals he has not even seen him play on tape, let alone live.