Best away pub of the season

bungle

first we tried out a place called the calderon (think that was the name) and then went to a spoons - both decent pubs with plenty of friendly locals. In the first 1 my mate was getting the beers in & a local came up to him & gave him his loyalty card to get discount on the pints, then in the spoons we got talking to a couple who had overheard us lot talking about my birthday which is today & they then insisted on keep buying me drinks!!

Will certainly return to the Causeway next season. Decent ale and friendly locals.

Thought the snacks and beer selection was a bit poor at Sedgefield. Are you still wearing your racing ticket?

My hoodie is still wearing mine, but I am no longer wearing the hoodie. :)

Shame we drank the bar dry of Boddingtons and Diet Pepsi at Sedgefield, could've done with some hot food as well.

Jackson's Wharf good for food, The Causeway good for drinks and atmosphere. Top day out all round.

first we tried out a place called the calderon (think that was the name) and then went to a spoons - both decent pubs with plenty of friendly locals. In the first 1 my mate was getting the beers in & a local came up to him & gave him his loyalty card to get discount on the pints, then in the spoons we got talking to a couple who had overheard us lot talking about my birthday which is today & they then insisted on keep buying me drinks!!

Was indeed excellent!

Causeway very good before the game and I liked the Strongarm even if it looked like an ice cream.

After the game 18 of us than managed a lock in until about 1.30am at the Blacksmiths just around the corner from there. The real ale in here was also top notch and landlord and landlady were brilliant.

Grove

King William IV (Brodies pub) and the Leyton Orient Supporters club were very good too.

Not sure you can really count London Bridge pubs when assessing Charlton but as a collection the Wheatsheaf/Market Porter/Rake (and I think we went in the Brew Wharf) make a good crawl.

But top so far is the Ashton Arms in Oldham. About 7 real ales, excellent foreign beer list and a really friendly welcome.

Some potential candidates coming up in Northampton on Saturday.

We ended up in the Horse and they were a very friendly bunch, not bad service considering it was 2 or 3 deep at the bar and the most succulent sirloin steak I have eaten this year.

Shame the bouncers were stopping most saints fans from entering as it was genuinely friendly.

The beer? Well, I do like to sample the odd local brew but they had Old Speckled Hen so I can't complain as it's a pretty reliable pint if not that quaffy.

7/10

Edited by hamster

Northampton away.

The Victoria, Pool Street.

Best Pub so far!

7 Real Ales, plus a wonderful pint of "Gravitas" served straight from the Barrel on the bar counter.

A cooked Breakfast too.

around 40 Saints fans managed to find our way to it. Mostly regional Saints supporters groups.

COLSLAW, Northern Saints, Bath Saints...

Top pub! just wish it was just round the corner from my home!!!!

Northampton away.

Best Pub so far!

7 Real Ales, plus a wonderful pint of "Gravitas" served straight from the Barrel on the bar counter.

A cooked Breakfast too.

around 40 Saints fans managed to find our way to it. Mostly regional Saints supporters groups.

Echo most of that, apart from the breakfast, which I didn't partake of.

The TGI Fridays next to the ground where we then had our last pre-match pint in must rank among the worst pubs of the season, apart from the waitresses' uniforms, all wearing Saints shirts without club crests or sponsor names, and *very* short skirts - easy now Bungle.

Echo most of that, apart from the breakfast, which I didn't partake of.

The TGI Fridays next to the ground where we then had our last pre-match pint in must rank among the worst pubs of the season, apart from the waitresses' uniforms, all wearing Saints shirts without club crests or sponsor names, and *very* short skirts - easy now Bungle.

lol, the only reason you lot chose TGI's was for the waitresses! At least I managed to down a ****tail in there before the game - not often you can associate football matches with ****tails!

I think we can safely say the bar at the bowling alley won't be rated among the best...

Just outside the Horse, your gang turned right I turned left, You didn't smile back at me Steve!:confused: I'd have bought you a beer too.

Maybe next time fella.

Northampton away.

Best Pub so far!

A cooked Breakfast too.

I'd have to agree with this nomination however the Gravitas didn't float my boat. It was just a quality English boozer and a decent little atmosphere.

When we arrived at Sixfields we headed to Old Orleans and had no chance of getting served so we ended up at the bowling alley... as said elsewhere, what a surreal place to have a pre-match pint and I certainly won't be going there again.

Another recommendation for best away pub...

Walsall - Black Country Inn.

Quality boozer. 14x real Ales at around £2.30 a pint. Hot meals around £3-4.

We were planning to do a pub-crawl around Walsall, but ended up staying there till the Match.

The landlord said he was shocked to see some many away fans find the pub and commented on what a great bunch we were.

Two quality pubs on two weekends (Northampton - Victoria last weekend).

happy dayz.

• 1 month later...

The Griffin in Carlisle was pretty good. The mens toilets were out of order so everyone was going in the ladies. It was also made even better dues to Louis Saha scoring for Everton against Portsmouth. Hartlepool was pretty dead before the game and you would never have know that there was a game on. Most of the drinking was being done in the ground before the game. My personal favourite from previous season is the springbok at QPR

The Griffin in Carlisle was pretty good. The mens toilets were out of order so everyone was going in the ladies. It was also made even better dues to Louis Saha scoring for Everton against Portsmouth. Hartlepool was pretty dead before the game and you would never have know that there was a game on. Most of the drinking was being done in the ground before the game. My personal favourite from previous season is the springbok at QPR

Isn't that home fans only?

Another recommendation for best away pub...

Walsall - Black Country Inn.

Quality boozer. 14x real Ales at around £2.30 a pint. Hot meals around £3-4.

We were planning to do a pub-crawl around Walsall, but ended up staying there till the Match.

The landlord said he was shocked to see some many away fans find the pub and commented on what a great bunch we were.

Two quality pubs on two weekends (Northampton - Victoria last weekend).

happy dayz.

You would have done well to find any pubs in Walsall that were open. Me and The 9 wanted to watch the Skates v Burnley on SKY at lunchtime and drove past 4 pubs that had closed down before settling for the Saddlers.

Seeing as such an important part of the away day is the pub (except for those who use the travel club, I guess), thought it might be good to discuss the best pubs so far this season. Perhaps we could even try to decide on the best of the year come next May?!

Rules are, you can only nominate pubs you have visited this season (so no commenting on pubs for games we haven't had yet, they may have got better/worse!).

Also, note that the Antigallican in Charlton is NOT a good pub.

Two pubs quite high up the list for me already. The Grove in Huddersfield was good, if a little quiet, but for it was beaten by The Crown in Stockport which had 16 excellent ales and had a bit more of a football atmosphere inside, with Stockport fans about as well.

The Grove in Huddersfield was SHEEEEOITE. Lovely if you want wanncky obscure Ales and borderline racist cartoons on the wall, but bloody rubbish for pre-match football watching on tv or being anywhere near the ground. Same goes for everywhere (including the Victoria in Northampton which at least had a telly and the two places in Hartlepool) except The Saddlers at Walsall, and even that was lacking in live footy (but Skates were winning so that was a blessing).

Good exploding pork pies though.

Edited by The9

No Nominations yet for Colchester.

So will give a mention for the....

The Half Butt Inn

Nayland Road, Great Horkesley

Mix of home and a handful of Saints.

A couple of decent ales, and a 20 min walk to the stadium. Mind you the walk took you over a couple of farmers fields through a backgarden and over a couple of stiles.

7/10

• 4 weeks later...

The Wells Tavern was pretty amazing, good food, cheap drink and nice bardmaids in their pajammas. Good atmosphere with the locals before and after the game.

Best pub of the season so far imo. Will def be going back there next season.

8/10

The Jolly Porter by the station was pretty decent as well, shame it was dead really.

6.5/10

The Wells Tavern was pretty amazing, good food, cheap drink and nice bardmaids in their pajammas. Good atmosphere with the locals before and after the game.

Best pub of the season so far imo. Will def be going back there next season.

8/10

The Jolly Porter by the station was pretty decent as well, shame it was dead really.

6.5/10

The Jolly Porter wins the award for me. Watching you fall on your arse was a golden moment.

• 1 month later...