Why do all Pompey fans have Mockney accents?

adrian lord

They always have - maybe more these days as TV seems to prefer the London accent for almost every programme and more kids watch TV these days.

Portsmouth people have less Hampshire accent than other areas as over the years a lot moved to the city with the dock yard and Navy.

You got it son! Port sea island has a population made up from every single city town big village you name it in the UK, Even you knuts,,For the last 100 years or more 10000s of lads from all over the country migrated hear with the Navy, Met local Tarts stayed, (Evan i fookin did) Mix up all those accents you get Mockney, simples;)

er! its got fookall to do with TV Redondo you To****;)

You got it son! Port sea island has a population made up from every single city town big village you name it in the UK, Even you knuts,,For the last 100 years or more 10000s of lads from all over the country migrated hear with the Navy, Met local Tarts stayed, (Evan i fookin did) Mix up all those accents you get Mockney, simples;)

er! its got fookall to do with TV Redondo you To****;)

:smt103 Calm down dearie! It's only administration. Not the end but, hopefully, the beginning of the end. ;)

Big difference between a Pompey accent and a London Accent, though clearly heavily influenced. Truth is Portsmuffians, in particular Portsea Islanders have always had a different accent to you Hampshire Bumpkins. Also Portsmouth tend to consider itself more a municipality than a part of Hampshire. :)

Big difference between a Pompey accent and a London Accent, though clearly heavily influenced. Truth is Portsmuffians, in particular Portsea Islanders have always had a different accent to you Hampshire Bumpkins. Also Portsmouth tend to consider itself more a municipality than a part of Hampshire. :)

Still working on how to cast 'that particular part of Hampshire' adrift.

A municipality?! You should just blow up the bridges and cut yourselves adrift!

I say we should sell Portsea Island to Sussex for £6.57

Portsmouth and Bognor Regis will make a lovely pair!

Been working in Sussex recently. I don't think local residents would be prepared to pay £6.57.

Also, Bognor Regis is far nicer than Skatesville and it has a solvent football club which is 80 odd million quid better off than skatesmouth is.

Truth is Portsmuffians, in particular Portsea Islanders have always had a different accent to you Hampshire Bumpkins :)

:)

I'll think you'll find the correct term is 'p*rtsMYTHians'...just one more 'myth' to add to the long line...

The all-wise Corpy once enlightened us of the reason some of them speak full-on East End is because London dockers were brought down (to do the job the locals weren't up to) and so a few hundred outsiders influenced the way an entire town spoke. Bizarre, usually works the other way.

The thing is whilst they did ship in a number of ****ney stevedores (Southampton's rufty-tufty dockers were too busy running our own port) they also shipped in an equal number from Bristol, so why not the Brizzol accent?

The simple truth is the mockney accent is a fairly recent phenomenon and they just turned into Bob Hoskins as their thug reputation grew. In the 70s the only football mobs that had any ‘respect’ were either from oop north or ****ney so they took to emulating Millwall, their idols.

BTW PES I know a few Millwall fans and whilst I admit they do ‘rate’ the 657 they still look on p*rtsmouth (and anyone else outside the M25) as a bunch of country bumpkins.

:)

I'll think you'll find the correct term is 'p*rtsMYTHians'...just one more 'myth' to add to the long line...

The all-wise Corpy once enlightened us of the reason some of them speak full-on East End is because London dockers were brought down (to do the job the locals weren't up to) and so a few hundred outsiders influenced the way an entire town spoke. Bizarre, usually works the other way.

The thing is whilst they did ship in a number of ****ney stevedores (Southampton's rufty-tufty dockers were too busy running our own port) they also shipped in an equal number from Bristol, so why not the Brizzol accent?

The simple truth is the mockney accent is a fairly recent phenomenon and they just turned into Bob Hoskins as their thug reputation grew. In the 70s the only football mobs that had any ‘respect’ were either from oop north or ****ney so they took to emulating Millwall, their idols.

BTW PES I know a few Millwall fans and whilst I admit they do ‘rate’ the 657 they still look on p*rtsmouth (and anyone else outside the M25) as a bunch of country bumpkins.

I don't 'rate' anyone for violent acts, except boxers and professional fighters (And even then it's not something i'd personally go out of my way to watch.). I certainly do not 'rate' ****ed up plebs. I truelly wish Southampton were 'rated' for hooliganism and not my club, it's a badge i'd gladly let you have. :)

Having said that most people I know in Southampton have a 'London-ish' accent, when meeting Northeners on holiday they usually say "thought you were ****neys" when they find out where we're from - think it's more a 'townie' thing.

I've found this a lot too. Everytime I meet people from north of Birmingham they think I am some sort of ****ney.

Also, if I meet any Londoners, I'm confused for some sort of farmer.

That said, people from portsmuff do have some sort of fake London accent. Quite funny really.