Mephedrone

saint_stevo

Dont you think you should wait to hear from the post mortems before deciding that it is responsible for their deaths. This has happened a couple of times already and it has been proven that there were either underlying conditions that caused the death or something else was responsible.

Banning will not stop people using this drug.

Personally I think that the best way to deal with drug use is legalisation so that it can be regulated and properly controlled ( and also taxed so that the rest of us could potentially benefit as well).

Personally I think that the best way to deal with drug use is legalisation so that it can be regulated and properly controlled ( and also taxed so that the rest of us could potentially benefit as well).

You're right on this. At least if it was regulated people wouldn't be snorting rat poison or smoking weed weighted with ground glass etc.

Quite a few of my friends do this from time to time, it does worry me. I'm not a drug person, the worst i've ever done was a bit of laughing gas at a festival, and you get given that at the Dentists. The way that it seems to have taken over is worrying, and although there's no definitive proof that Meow killed these two guys, i've got no doubts that it was involved somehow. There was an expert of some sort on SkyNews earlier saying that the thing that worries him is that nobody really knows what a safe dosage is, and he's got a point. It's so new on the scene that nobody really knows how much you are supposed to take, so people often end up taking copious amounts and suffering the consequences because of it.

I'm usually quite liberal on the subject of drugs, I don't do 'em myself and don't really have a problem with other people doing them as long as they know what they're doing, but I do feel that a banning of Mephedrone should happen sooner rather than later. It's my understanding that there is some kind of bill being rushed through parliament as well on this subject, although that's just hearsay and i've not heard anything official on the matter.

Super Mikey i'm not so sure it is a new drug in the sense it's totally unchartered territory, reckon it's basically pills (E) but maybe a bit different. Certainly seems similar effects but with a less bad comedown, although a mate reckons its more like coke, but i don't think so. That said 1g of it is not like 1 pill that todays generation would be familiar with. It's strong and should definitely be treated as pills were in the early 90's before they got watered down.

Super Mikey i'm not so sure it is a new drug in the sense it's totally unchartered territory, reckon it's basically pills (E) but maybe a bit different. Certainly seems similar effects but with a less bad comedown, although a mate reckons its more like coke, but i don't think so. That said 1g of it is not like 1 pill that todays generation would be familiar with. It's strong and should definitely be treated as pills were in the early 90's before they got watered down.

Yeah, I meant new as in it's not been researched and it's only really just become popular, not as in the sense that it was discovered by man about 2 weeks ago. My mates say it's pretty similar to coke, even makes you gurn like coke does. This what you were on last night then when you posted your three dozen threads dune? ;)

The Mephodrone comedown appears to vary person to person, some suffer for a couple of days whilst other can wake up the next day feeling fine. This is generally regardless of the dosage.

Apparently it was first discovered by the french authorities in 2007.

I really dont understand this "ban it now" aproach, how many lives are ruined by alcohol, tabacco and prescription drugs every day and they are still legal and perfectly acceptible.

Yeah, I meant new as in it's not been researched and it's only really just become popular, not as in the sense that it was discovered by man about 2 weeks ago. My mates say it's pretty similar to coke, even makes you gurn like coke does. This what you were on last night then when you posted your three dozen threads dune? ;)

I don't know what you're talking abut.

No, but itll stop some people using it, and thats a good start

yah but what will happen is that people wont be able to buy it direct so to speak and then dealers (and a lot of dealers are ****s who either have their own habit to feed and/or simply dont give a **** and want to make maximum profit) will mix other **** in with it to make up the weight. A bit of baking power or some glucose or something pretty nasty they have to hand can and will make what is now a semi controlled drug into something potentially worse.

People also seem to forget how easy it is to get hold of drugs in this country, just because this one is available over the internet doesnt mean it is any easier to get... in fact due to delivery times it is probably harder to get your hands on some quickly than most illegal drugs.

I would say so, but i'd still suggest thinning out the crop to provide more nutrients to your chosen fruit. I like to inject my pumpkins directly into the stalk thus giving them an instant hit, perhaps you could adopt this method to your bum fruit and please let us know the results.

The usual media fuelled hysteria that we have seen before.......

IMO....... ALL drugs should be legal and freely available to adults from any pharmacy at a cost of no more than 50p for an average hit.

This should be complemented by an educational policy that is based on good scientific research so that potential users can make an informed decision as to whether to use or not.

This would not mean 'society' would be condoning drug use, but rather, it would ensure that people are getting the facts rather than the ill informed unscientific gossip that the media currently provide.

I am confident that this would lead to less incidents of death arising from naive people experimenting with 'plant food' and other such 'borderline' drugs.

The Misuse of Drugs Act forces potential users to experiment with dodgy and dangerous substances, as the user seeks to find a legal high.

Of course there would be a significant bonus to this policy in that there would be a massive reduction in crime, given that around 80% of ALL crime is drug related.

Obviously no political party would have the guts to put forward such a radical policy given that they (and the majority of the poorly educated public) pander to the reactionary media in such matters.

Also if it's banned the chemists will just alter something slightly and produce a new plant food. The govt is fighting a losing battle if it chooses draconian measures to fight a problem that got past the point of containment years ago.

IMO....... ALL drugs should be legal and freely available to adults from any pharmacy at a cost of no more than 50p for an average hit.

This should be complemented by an educational policy that is based on good scientific research so that potential users can make an informed decision as to whether to use or not.

This would not mean 'society' would be condoning drug use, but rather, it would ensure that people are getting the facts rather than the ill informed unscientific gossip that the media currently provide.

I am confident that this would lead to less incidents of death arising from naive people experimenting with 'plant food' and other such 'borderline' drugs.

The Misuse of Drugs Act forces potential users to experiment with dodgy and dangerous substances, as the user seeks to find a legal high.

Of course there would be a significant bonus to this policy in that there would be a massive reduction in crime, given that around 80% of ALL crime is drug related.

Obviously no political party would have the guts to put forward such a radical policy given that they (and the majority of the poorly educated public) pander to the reactionary media in such matters.

Fully agree ..... Ben Elton's fictional book 'High Society' covers the same subject & is a great read.

Agree with a lot of that, except the charge should be around £10 - high enough to deter people from doing it all day everyday but not so much you create an underground market.

Agree with a lot of that, except the charge should be around £10 - high enough to deter people from doing it all day everyday but not so much you create an underground market.

£10 would be way too high.

Heroin users are already paying £10 for an average hit.

The point is to make it so inexpensive that the black market would cease to exist.

Using pricing as a deterrent to drug use would not work, the only effective tool would be education.

A reduction in the levels of crime (and we are talking a huge reduction) would mean more money would be available for education and also effective support strategies for users who want to stop using.

There would be so many other benefits to society such as lower council tax bills (less policing), lower insurance premiums, safer neighbourhoods etc.

As a policy it is a 'no-brainer' but unfortunately mainstream politics is populated by 'no-ballsers'.

The irony of this whole situation is that the independent drug advisers who were sacked by the home secretary (or resigned in protest) after they gave independent advice on cannabis were leading experts on legal highs and had a good handle on Mephedrone and what could be done to counter it. The replacement ‘yes men’ have no experience at all and realistically won’t be able to do anything meaningful until much later in the year (or possibly next year). :rolleyes:

I know a lot of people who take this. Not regularly mind. The kids who died obviously had a contaminated batch and in a way its just bad luck. You can be poisoned by food too afterall.

There are lots of reports of people getting hooked on the stuff too and it ruining their lives but it takes a certain type of person to let it take over your life like that. It is possible to do these things now and again as a "treat" and it have no impact on your life at all.

Dont you think you should wait to hear from the post mortems before deciding that it is responsible for their deaths. This has happened a couple of times already and it has been proven that there were either underlying conditions that caused the death or something else was responsible.

Banning will not stop people using this drug.

Exactly that - drive a drug underground and you hand control to criminals etc. Educate the masses and you know what - most don't bother as there is no kudos to it. I can't remember where I read it but drug use by the under 18's in Amsterdam is % wise less than any other major city. Mainly down to the fact that Cannabis is legal(ish) in Amsterdam.

If you give people all of the information then they can make an informed choice. At the mo' our version of education in this country is just based on fear.

According to peliminary reports the lads in sc8nthorpe had mixed mcat with methadone (the stuff smackheads use as a heroin substitute) and mixed this up a bit more with alcohol. I'm not posting this in a take the moral high horse way because in the day i never bothered drinking bottled water etc at clubs, but it seens reasonable to question which element was the problem. All we've heard about is m-cat because it's the sensationalist drug that is a good soundbite, but my hunch would be tha it's more likely it was the methodone that killed them.

The two lads who "died because of mephedrone" also took methadone (heroin substitute). Pretty ****ing stupid to do a load of powder and then take a **** load more to take the edge off the comedown.

I'm sure the article will scare a load of kids away from taking meph which can only be a good thing but they really should mention more about methadone which is far worse, just no way near as readily available as mephedrone.

The two lads who "died because of mephedrone" also took methadone (heroin substitute). Pretty ****ing stupid to do a load of powder and then take a **** load more to take the edge off the comedown.

I'm sure the article will scare a load of kids away from taking meph which can only be a good thing but they really should mention more about methadone which is far worse, just no way near as readily available as mephedrone.

gutted. even with my one figured typing i beat you to it.;)

According to peliminary reports the lads in sc8nthorpe had mixed mcat with methadone (the stuff smackheads use as a heroin substitute) and mixed this up a bit more with alcohol. I'm not posting this in a take the moral high horse way because in the day i never bothered drinking bottled water etc at clubs, but it seens reasonable to question which element was the problem. All we've heard about is m-cat because it's the sensationalist drug that is a good soundbite, but my hunch would be tha it's more likely it was the methodone that killed them.

What killed them was THEM.

Nobody forced them to take any drugs - legal or otherwise - so the blame lies fairly and squarely at their own door. Sadly, in this culture we have nurtured, there will always be someone looking to blame someone else! No doubt a law suit or two will come out of this :roll:

So, kiddies, just say NO. After all, we all know what happened when Zammo chased the dragon ;)

In the olden days witches used to eat toadstalls (not sure if this was magic mushrooms, probably not) which were poisonous, but took them at a quantity that put them in a state on the verge of death. This is where the myth of flying comes from, but they didn't have broomsticks, they had out of body experiences. This has ****all to do with this thread but thought i'd just mention it.

In the olden days witches used to eat toadstalls (not sure if this was magic mushrooms, probably not) which were poisonous, but took them at a quantity that put them in a state on the verge of death. This is where the myth of flying comes from, but they didn't have broomsticks, they had out of body experiences. This has ****all to do with this thread but thought i'd just mention it.

Not far off.

Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria) is probably what you are referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

You'll never be able to keep up with it, people will keep finding slightly different 'legal highs', in my opinion, you might as well have a system like the netherlands where it is all(well most) legal, but at least it is not in the hands of criminals and you can control it and tax it loads.

Don't belive everything you hear on the news.

Remeber Leah Betts? - She actually took about 14 ecstacy tablets the day she copped it according to a reliable source. The press reported it was one tablet and she'd never taken it before. She was pretty expierienced in taking drugs, I'm told.

However, I tried this stuff not too long ago. I wont be doing that again in a hurry, it's pretty fierce on the way down, took me just under a week to feel right again.

Don't belive everything you hear on the news.

Remeber Leah Betts? - She actually took about 14 ecstacy tablets the day she copped it according to a reliable source. The press reported it was one tablet and she'd never taken it before. She was pretty expierienced in taking drugs, I'm told.

Thats the thing with reliable sources -they are usually ********. She got a bad reaction to one tab, drank to much water to flush it which caused her brain to swell. A broadsheet report of coroners inquest is more reliable.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/leahs-ecstasy-death-like-horror-film-1316650.html

Thats the thing with reliable sources -they are usually ********. She got a bad reaction to one tab, drank to much water to flush it which caused her brain to swell. A broadsheet report of coroners inquest is more reliable.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/leahs-ecstasy-death-like-horror-film-1316650.html

With this you've proved my point, the first line in my first post. The thing is Leah died from water intoxication not drugs. Sure, if she didn't take it she wouldn't have died, but at no point does that report say that she had a bad reaction to the pills it's just written in such a way to suggest that. The headline 'Girls dies because of too much water" is not going to sell papers. You know at least one person that has dabbled even if you think you haven't, if you have kids in their early 20's they have or know someone that has too. The fact is that there are more ecstasy users in the UK than combined users of any other dug except weed. But back in 2001 only 40 deaths. Everytime something like this comes up, it's a great story for the media, because of the want to be seen as 'anti-drug' for business puposes the weighting on the story is always loaded with this in mind.

I, in no way condone the use of drugs, this is a point on the media sensation, not use of drugs.... ( just in case mods)

I'm not going to fight my corner about my source because it's over and to be honest I feel a bit wrong just discussing it now. Let's just say it's better than an on-line report.

However, I tried this stuff not too long ago. I wont be doing that again in a hurry, it's pretty fierce on the way down, took me just under a week to feel right again.

Yeah it's certainly got a bite to it, a mate of mine sticks it up his arse (he ain't shy) when he thinks he's overdone other points of entry.

Yep let's ban plant food containing mephedrone because a small minority of idiots abuse it and it MIGHT (no one even knows for sure yet) have caused two deaths.

Well then we'd better ban alcohol, nicotine, anti-depressants, deodorants (their a device for solvent abuse now apparently), cars, any sweet anyone could possibly choke on etc.etc.etc. Their all far more dangerous, and most cause far more deaths.

Banning just means perpetrators will find something else to achieve the same affect.

Yep let's ban plant food containing mephedrone

On the BBC report about the deaths the reporter made the same point about those supplying mcat being respectable plant food suppliers. Does anyone know if mephedrone is used in any well known fertilizer?