Third to First

rpb

Only three of our third division champions team (1960) went onto appear in the first division with Saints in 1966 (Paine, Sydenham and Huxford). Assuming that the master plan comes to fruition and we get back to the Premiership, how many of the current squad will make the journey with us?

Only three of our third division champions team (1960) went onto appear in the first division with Saints in 1966 (Paine, Sydenham and Huxford). Assuming that the master plan comes to fruition and we get back to the Premiership, how many of the current squad will make the journey with us?

Not sure Huxford played that many games in Div 1 but then there was six years in Div 1 between the promotions so it was not surprising that only afew played in Div 1

So it really depends how long it takes to get to the Premiership.

Fonte, Connerly, Davies.

Who? ;)

Also do you realise how old Kelvin Davis and David Connolly are? 33 and 32. Saints won't be in the Premiership until 2012/13 at the very earliest. If either play for Saints in the Premiership I'll get a Pompey tattoo.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Not sure Huxford played that many games in Div 1 but then there was six years in Div 1 between the promotions so it was not surprising that only afew played in Div 1

I think he came on as a late substitute against Blackpool and played one other game (Sheffield Wed?) before calling it a day.

Who? ;)

Also do you realise how old Kelvin Davis and David Connolly are? 33 and 32. Saints won't be in the Premiership until 2012/13 at the very earliest. If either play for Saints in the Premiership I'll get a Pompey tattoo.

Why not just settle for a Saints tattoo..? ;)

Who? ;)

Pompey won't exist then ..."dad, why have you got a picture of the moon on your arm?"

I think he came on as a late substitute against Blackpool and played one other game (Sheffield Wed?) before calling it a day.

I thought he played once but could not remember the game

Edited by John B

Who? ;)

I think this post should ba saved, just in case...

Only three of our third division champions team (1960) went onto appear in the first division with Saints in 1966 (Paine, Sydenham and Huxford).

A good observation rpb, but I'd like to enter one more name that is worth a mention. That of George O'Brien (who was definitely in the 59-60 side and weighed in with 23 goals from 42 starts.)

In the following 5 seasons he only once scored less than 22 goals and actually scored 32 in 1964/5. George made a dynamite start to our promotion season (65/66) with 11 goals from 16 starts, but was sadly struck down with illness and lost his place to an up-an-coming MARTIN CHIVERS . George's contribution to our history of that period is fantastic, 180 goals in 281 starts. His 10 hat-tricks (which included FOUR 4-goal hauls,) a goals record which lasted until finally passed by Terry Paine 8 years later.

Only Channon and MLT have scored more for Saints.

True, he doesn't qualify for the category you quoted - but his name cannot pass without mention of his contribution to that great season - it was a cruel fate that he didn't manage to get to play in Div.1

Assuming that the master plan comes to fruition and we get back to the Premiership, how many of the current squad will make the journey with us?

If it takes 5 years ...very few. Lallana, Harding, Schneiderlin, Barnard... and

Oxlade-Chamberlain ...(if he /they stay)

If it takes 5 years ...very few. Lallana, Harding, Schneiderlin, Barnard... and

Oxlade-Chamberlain ...(if he /they stay)

One of the differences about the game over the past fifty years - I don't think we lost any of the 1960 team due to bigger clubs coming in for them back then...

One of the differences about the game over the past fifty years - I don't think we lost any of the 1960 team due to bigger clubs coming in for them back then...

Of course there wasn't the same banter about players wanting away in those days, but think Reeves and O'Briens goal hauls prompted a few scouts to the Dell, and Terry Paine was absolutely targeted as various stages of his career.

(Comments in CONSTANT PAINE).