MILLWALL D

EXETER D

BRIGHTON D

COLCHESTER L

STOCKPORT D

HUDDERSFIELD L

SWINDON L

Case Closed.

Also we played 451 at home to mk dons in league and vs gillingham at home! Guys I agree some of the away form has been poor ie Exeter was shocking and I think at this stage we have to win so 442 everytime! Is Morgan playing today?

I think it is too simplistic to say 'you should always play x-x-x', sometimes different formations suit different opposition / available players / surfaces / weather conditions.

We've developed as a team over the year so to declare two 'early' defeats (Swindon & Huddersfield) as 'case closed' over 4-5-1 is a bit premature.

I think Saints do, with the players available (specifically Morgan) play better as 4-4-2. This doesn't however mean we should play it every time.

It is not the formation that is the issue. There are teams that play 1 up front with plenty of goals on the board. It is how you play it.

So long as you get players forward when attacking it doesn't really make any difference.

We actually went through a period of scoring lots of goals with 5 in midfield and people were complaining when we changed to 442!

ONE LONE STRIKER (4-5-1)

P10.. W1.. D6.. L3.. GF.. 9 GA 12....PTS 9

an average 0.9 points a game

TWO STRIKERS (4-4-2)

P28.. W18.. D6.. L4.. GF 62.. GA 27.... PTS 60

an average of 2.07 per game.

a selection of the games we played 4-5-1 away

MILLWALL D

EXETER D

BRIGHTON D

COLCHESTER L

STOCKPORT D

HUDDERSFIELD L

SWINDON L

You seem to ignore the fact that the team switches between 442 and 451 during games and then back again. I can't see how you can make a clear distinction between games playing 442 and 451.

4 4 2 is the best formation if we have some creativity in midfield ie Morgan

Without him 4 5 1 shoould probably no be discounted

Agree. If anyone has the JPT final match programme, there is an iterview with Phil Parkinson (of charlton;)) talking about APs time at saints some interesting insights into the 4-5-1 / 4-4-2 debate worth a read IMO.

I don't think we defend well enough as a team whether it is 4-4-2 or 4-5-1' date=' so I prefer 4-4-2 as it gives us a better chance of scoring goals. 4-5-1 just seems to invite more pressure.[/quote']

I think this is a very good observation. There seems to be something in the mentality of those who play in a 5-man midfield that tells them to sit back and invite pressure - at least for Saints that is. Or perhaps then that's just part of a 4-5-1 gameplan? :confused:

Case Closed.

It's not a question of case closed, it's a question of what players you have available and their fitness levels. Take the 442 that mullahed Huddersfield, you would put that out every time with the application the players showed. Take away that application and you either need to substitute players to give a similar response or change the system to cover a weakness.

We have one pronounced weakness when things are not going well for us, the midfield losing control. Put the best players capable of holding the midfield together in those situation, with the option of opening things up in the second half if required. It's pointless going with a poor 442 selection that is just going to get opened up, you have no plan B now available. Whereas that same 442 in the 2nd half of tight game could well pay dividends at that point. we really need to get the right players in the right area so they can do a job for us. Sometimes that is not possible but I feel this is where we lack the practicality. I would far prefer Fonte to step up into central midfield than put Puncheon in there.

ONE LONE STRIKER (4-5-1)

P10.. W1.. D6.. L3.. GF.. 9 GA 12....PTS 9

an average 0.9 points a game

TWO STRIKERS (4-4-2)

P28.. W18.. D6.. L4.. GF 62.. GA 27.... PTS 60

an average of 2.07 per game.

a selection of the games we played 4-5-1 away

MILLWALL D

EXETER D

BRIGHTON D

COLCHESTER L

STOCKPORT D

HUDDERSFIELD L

SWINDON L

That's simply not true, where did you pull these figures from? Oldham, Southend, Gillingham and MK Dons where all 4-5-1 wins earlier in the season and some of the best football we've played all season.

I agree with your point that we're better off playing 4-4-2 with our group of players but the stats you've posted are wrong.

Yes today we played 4-4-2 put two of the most deadly strikers in league one up front and ooooooopppppps by all accounts played better at Brighton in a 4-5-1. Maybe formation is less relevant than whether the players are in the mood. Not many seemed very interested today from where I was sitting in the chapel. Thank god for Lallanna a cut above today.