Election 2015

Hatch

assuming this lot goes the whole term

I'm not sure they can do anything other can go the full term can they? Under the new rules it will take 55% of MP's casting a vote of no confidence to trigger an election. Conservatives have over 45%. So they'd have to vote against themselves for their to be an early election.

I'm not sure they can do anything other can go the full term can they? Under the new rules it will take 55% of MP's casting a vote of no confidence to trigger an election. Conservatives have over 45%. So they'd have to vote against themselves for their to be an early election.

You're right, currently no-one could vote them out so they can remain in power for a full term as long as the love-in continues. If they fall out and the coalition breaks up the Tories would be back to a minority government - which would likely trigger a new election

assuming this lot goes the whole term, what happens in 2015,

Do they split up and campaign as single parties again, or do they try and go for another term as the ConDems?

I suppose they will see where the land lies a little nearer the time. If Labour are racing in front in the polls they may campaign as the ConDems. If Cameron thinks he could get a majority on his own he will drop his Liberal brothers like a stone.

Remember that John Major had his "bastards" from his own party who were hell-bent on their agenda and were close to bringing him down at times.

It is conceivable that another right-wing group of plotters might emerge.

You're right, currently no-one could vote them out so they can remain in power for a full term as long as the love-in continues. If they fall out and the coalition breaks up the Tories would be back to a minority government - which would likely trigger a new election

But with their 5 year fixed term and the move to try and get the vote of no confidence % raised to 55% no one could trigger another election apart from the tories. All opposition parties together including lib dems only command 53%.

So the tories could drop the lib dems and trigger an election by voting against themselves, but the lib dems and opposition are stuck.

But with their 5 year fixed term and the move to try and get the vote of no confidence % raised to 55% no one could trigger another election apart from the tories. All opposition parties together including lib dems only command 53%.

So the tories could drop the lib dems and trigger an election by voting against themselves, but the lib dems and opposition are stuck.

Exactly. The only thing I'm not sure about is they'd still need to get the budget and queen's speech through parliament, which I presume is still a straight majority vote. If they failed to do that it would currently trigger an election, and not sure if they are changing this.

No Confidence vote will still be 50% + 1 as it is at present. What happens in a fixed term Parliament is that a no confidence vote will not automatically trigger a General election, as it does at present. A 55% vote is needed to disolve Parliament, the loss of a no confidence vote means a new Govt will have to be formed within the present Parliament and the present MP's . Maybe a new PM,a Tory minority, more Lib/Dems in the cabinet ect, a loss of a no confidence motion, could in turn lead to the 55% voting for the disoultion of Parliament, but they are 2 seperate things within fixed term parliaments.

assuming this lot goes the whole term, what happens in 2015,

Do they split up and campaign as single parties again, or do they try and go for another term as the ConDems?

I started a thread asking the same question a couple of days ago. The most popular response was: "bugger nose"

Which I thought was a harsh thing to call me when all I was asking was a simple question